TAKES 3 HOURS TO DEFRAG 250 GIGS

glenstff

I RAN THE DEFRAGGLER.......SEEMED TO DO A GOOD JOB, THE NEXT DAY....I HAD REMOVED SOME FILES...ADD SOME....RAN THE DEFRAGGLER AGAIN......TO SEE IF DID THE JOB THE FIRST TIME AND SIMPLY DEFRAG. (PENTIUM 2.82 GIG V PROCESSOR 1GIG RAM RUNNING XP.)

AGAIN IT TOOK FOREVER AND I CANCELLED......DOING THE REST OF THE JOB AND REMOVED THE PROGRAM FROM THE COMPUTER....IT JUST TAKE TOO LONG....

IS THIS NORMAL???

PS SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS.....NEED TO READ WHAT I AM TYPING.....

THANKS GLEN

Got no clue tbh..

but

IS IT NORMAL TO POST IN ALL CAPS?!

I rest my case:<

No reason to be disrespectful, he explained why in his post.

Glen, something that might help you see what you type is the magnifier. I believe that most versions of Windows sold these days come with it. It really does help.

Anyways, I find that, pending on file sizes, it changes intermittently. For example, when I run Defraggler, it can take 10 minutes for the majority of my files, but, then it comes across some of the WoW files, and it takes the program from 10% to 100% in 40 minutes on bad days.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Noticed it when defragmenting Movie files.. It doesnt show the progress on that particular file but jumps when done with it..

Had 4 movie files being defragmented, after about 10min or so, it jumped to 25% then stood there and started on the second file.. 10min after that it went to 50% so yeah:s It does look like it hangs up but it is constantly running inside the file.. on 250gig it will seriously looks like it hangs but it working like hell with that file..

Edit: To the person above me:P I managed to skip the last part of the post where he said why he used caps.. I read what I needed and replied afterwards:P Wasnt the intention to be rude or anything, just thought he was one of those that posts in Caps just to annoy people:<

Thought I'd pass this on. It's very useful when trying to read small e-mail print (especially in the early hours). If you hold down the Ctrl key on your key board and turn the small wheel in the middle of your mouse, the print size will change - it will either get larger or smaller - depending on which way you turn the wheel.

Pass this on to other friends who may find it very useful

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours? Well how many files you move how many files you add, alone for me at 2% Fragmentation Windows Defrager takes 20 minutes. Defraggler is about the same, also did you restart, were these files large small.. Everything you do on a computer hard drive causes fragmentation, even your computer idling causes fragmentation thanks to page files. Even a restart causes fragmentation, of course all that is really small did you happen to see how many fragments there were, anything thats helpful besides how long it took and the fact you canceled it?

Also did you try Windows Defrager after the fact or leave all the fragmented files..