Anti-Vir

tcoffeep

I've been doing some window-"shopping", and am stuck between choosing one of the following anti-virus programs.

-Bitdefender 10 Free (only thing I'm not sure of is whether it's vista-compatible)

-Avast! Home Edition

-AVG 8.0 (the only one I truly have experience with)

---

If anyone has any better ones, please point them out?

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

I've been doing some window-"shopping", and am stuck between choosing one of the following anti-virus programs.

-Bitdefender 10 Free (only thing I'm not sure of is whether it's vista-compatible)

-Avast! Home Edition

---

Bitdefender does not have real time protection. It is a on demand scanner.

AVG 8 is a resource hog and slows down the machine very noticeably. I dumped that.

Avast is not bad. I don't like it's interface but I am getting used to it.

Avira AntiVir is free and very good. Very low resource usage and high detection rates. No e mail scanning though.

I see your from Ontario to.

Bitdefender does not have real time protection. It is a on demand scanner.

AVG 8 is a resource hog and slows down the machine very noticeably. I dumped that.

Avast is not bad. I don't like it's interface but I am getting used to it.

Avira AntiVir is free and very good. Very low resource usage and high detection rates. No e mail scanning though.

I see your from Ontario to.

1 ) Real-time scanning isn't too much of a problem, because generally all I do is play MUDs. When I do have need of scans, it's when I traverse across hyperlinks I've not been before, or when I download something, to give it a test-run.

2 ) Aye. I'm in the process of re-downloading AVG 8 because of the resource-hogginess, plus the forced Firefox add-on, which, by ironic circumstances, isn't compatible with Firefox 3. :P

3 ) So, now, down the count... Your suggestion is either : ( a ) Avast or ( b ) Avira AntiVir?

4 ) Aye. Northern Ontario, unfortunately. I miss my Toronto :(

[edit] : just had to fix my brackets... forced smilies and whatnot

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

2 ) Aye. I'm in the process of re-downloading AVG 8 because of the resource-hogginess, plus the forced Firefox add-on, which, by ironic circumstances, isn't compatible with Firefox 3. :P

What are you hoping a re-download will do?

3 ) So, now, down the count... Your suggestion is either : ( a ) Avast or ( b ) Avira AntiVir?

Yes those are the two I have installed on my machines and I also have AVG 7.5 on another machine. Do not like AVG 8 at all.

4 ) Aye. Northern Ontario, unfortunately. I miss my Toronto :(

You miss getting shot at and mugged :lol:

• Moderators

Sometimes when you are thinking of how to choose between 2 programs as you are tcoffeep, it can help to try each one for a few days.

I use avira, and have tried avast but it didn't get on with something on my setup.

So sometimes by trying both, the choice can be made for you.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What are you hoping a re-download will do?

Yes those are the two I have installed on my machines and I also have AVG 7.5 on another machine. Do not like AVG 8 at all.

You miss getting shot at and mugged :lol:

Someone deleted the uninstall entry for AVG 8, so I need to reinstall in order to kick it swiftly...

... and I've never seen so much violence in Northern Ontario (drunks generally, as there are at least 7 bars within 5 miles around my house.). I was never shot at or mugged.

Sometimes when you are thinking of how to choose between 2 programs as you are tcoffeep, it can help to try each one for a few days.

I use avira, and have tried avast but it didn't get on with something on my setup.

So sometimes by trying both, the choice can be made for you.

I just like to get personal opinions of them. Some might 'look' nice or 'run smoothly', but, unless I purposely infect my computer, there is no way to tell if they are accurate or not. If you understand what I mean.

In the process of d/l'ing both. Will edit this post in regards to my experience with them.

[edit] : Gah. The Avira site went from english... until I clicked a hyperlink to the free edition, and went into what I can only assume is German? ( I do not have a very handy grasp on languages other than french and english, and I can't even speak french :P)

RUN WITH AVAST! (now deleted) :

I liked the skin. I liked the feel. I didn't like it not letting me delete it's start-up entry. >.> That was it's only fault, I found.

RUN WITH AVIRA :

So far, my only complaint is the ad that popped up while I was updating. Beyond that, I ain't seeing nothing wrong with it. It's been running for something like 10 minutes and is already at 9.5%, which is generally fast. :)

-Avast! Home Edition

---

I didn't like Bitdefender.

I'm using Avast! Home free on WinME, XP Home and Pro but I don't have Vista as I can't afford a system to run it.

I used to use AVG 7.5 but switched to Avast! when they started to promote 8.0

I tried Kaspersky on XP Pro but I had to get rid of it when it declared McAfee SiteAdvisor to be malware.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

In the process of d/l'ing both. Will edit this post in regards to my experience with them.

[edit] : Gah. The Avira site went from english... until I clicked a hyperlink to the free edition, and went into what I can only assume is German? ( I do not have a very handy grasp on languages other than french and english, and I can't even speak french :P)

RUN WITH AVAST! (now deleted) :

I liked the skin. I liked the feel. I didn't like it not letting me delete it's start-up entry. >.> That was it's only fault, I found.

RUN WITH AVIRA :

So far, my only complaint is the ad that popped up while I was updating. Beyond that, I ain't seeing nothing wrong with it. It's been running for something like 10 minutes and is already at 9.5%, which is generally fast. :)

Two things here.

1) You can get rid off that pop up on the Avira updates very easily. Just follow these instructions. http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

2) The reason you couldn't delete the start up entry is probably because of the feature that Avast has that protects it from being altered by a malicious program. I couldn't even delete the skins I downloaded and tried out because of that. It's easily disabled so you can delete things. Go to the settings. You can get them from the Menu or right click the tray icon. Once in the settings go to "trouble shooting" than "disable self defense module". Now you can alter Avast.

-Avast! Home Edition

---

I have been using Avast Home Edition on a 2004 DELL Dimension Pent 4 2.8GHz with 256 MB RAM 333MHz and I am surprised that it barely slows down my PC with 6 of the 7 provider shields running.Only change I made was to turn off the sound for updating messages.

It has been running fine.It is slower than using AVG 7.5 but faster than AVG 8.0 .

I did download Malwarebytes today. Took about 5 min from the time I hit majorgeeks to download,install and update files and start quick scan with all defaults and find my first infection.AVG 7.5 and SAS never found it.It was a Browser Helper Object that I had disabled months back as I didn't know what it was and how to get rid of it.

The quick scan was QUICK.About 11.5 mins and that was that.Reviewed the log and removed the item to quarantine.Can restore it if needed.Did not have to set any settings at all.Pretty good for download to finish in about 15 mins.

I am impressed so far.Now to go over and register at their forum.This will be only my second forum.

Saw a lot of familiar names over there. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Oh yeah. WinPatrol is pretty neat also, and small, and helpful, and cute. Woof! Woof!

http://www.winpatrol.com/ Download WinPatrol 2008 V15.0.2008.0

Thanks, YoKenny.

:) davey

I did download Malwarebytes today. Took about 5 min from the time I hit majorgeeks to download,install and update files and start quick scan with all defaults and find my first infection.AVG 7.5 and SAS never found it.It was a Browser Helper Object that I had disabled months back as I didn't know what it was and how to get rid of it.

The quick scan was QUICK.About 11.5 mins and that was that.Reviewed the log and removed the item to quarantine.Can restore it if needed.Did not have to set any settings at all.Pretty good for download to finish in about 15 mins.

I am impressed so far.Now to go over and register at their forum.This will be only my second forum.

Saw a lot of familiar names over there. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Is that freeware? I took a look at the site and it looks like you have to purchase it.

Is that freeware? I took a look at the site and it looks like you have to purchase it.
There is a freeware release and a purchased release. The difference is the the purchased release has a scanner and an updater that can be scheduled and its default its set to update and run at 1:00am.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I found it slow to notify of changes, which is why I ended up removing it after a week of trying it out.

Thanks for the info.Also for putting your shutdown for CCleaner back in your signature.

:) davey Meow? Meow?

• Moderators
Also for putting your shutdown for CCleaner back in your signature.

I never took that out of my sig. The only thing I removed was the Firefox XPI Installer Add-on, which I also shredded from my PC'd hdd so there's no restoration of it at all.

I never took that out of my sig. The only thing I removed was the Firefox XPI Installer Add-on, which I also shredded from my PC'd hdd so there's no restoration of it at all.

Hi Andavari,

Maybe I caught your sig. one day right after you cleaned it or something.You use to have more links.I noticed later it seemed like you had put some back.

I read on some thread that they couldn't get your download for CCleaner at shutdown from Media fire.Looks OK from there now.

There is a freeware release and a purchased release. The difference is the the purchased release has a scanner and an updater that can be scheduled and its default its set to update and run at 1:00am.

I have decided to un-install MBAM as it slowed down my XP Home system and it is a common problem:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5061

They are working on a fix though.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I found it slow to notify of changes, which is why I ended up removing it after a week of trying it out.

Thats how the free version works. The paid one supposedly notifies you instantly.

I haven't actually tried the paid one but thats what their site says.

• Moderators
I read on some thread that they couldn't get your download for CCleaner at shutdown from Media fire.Looks OK from there now.

Sometimes MediaFire is either bogged down and slow, or they're doing maintenance. Sometimes uploading to them never passes the verification stage (i.e.; probably a virus scan) which is frustrating when dealing with a big upload as I use them all the time.

• Moderators
Thats how the free version works. The paid one supposedly notifies you instantly.

I haven't actually tried the paid one but thats what their site says.

I won't try the paid version as having it really isn't an incentive. Not to put down WinPatrol, but all those types of programs annoy me more than they protect me always popping up some crap that I already know about a long time before I'm even notified.