Drive map legend

Brian49

Just a small question, please - what does the light blue colour in the drive map mean? It isn't explained in the legend, or anywhere else as far as I can see.

Hi Brian,

I am not positive but I take it to be like the mixing of white and dark blue.

Similar to the scarlet color you can see in Windows Disk Defragmenter a mix of blue and red sometimes almost purple.

I appreciate the mix versus just a few fixed colors.

Best wishes,

:) davey

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yea probably, if you have a nice lcd screen (in my case a laptop monitor) you can look at it from an angle and will see that there is not only a light blue but also an orange (for slightly fragmented?).

But I'm glad I found this, Microsoft sucked when they changed their Windows 95 defrag view to the xp view. Now they got rid of the view all togeather. Though it would be nice if the blocks could be bigger, or if there could be more of them. As well as a legend explaining how much space each block represents. I realy love watching the squares change colors, keeps me captivated for hours :D

Though it would be nice if the blocks could be bigger, or if there could be more of them. As well as a legend explaining how much space each block represents. I realy love watching the squares change colors, keeps me captivated for hours :D

Hi Panda,

A hearty welcome to you also. :D

It would be many hours to watch the Vista Defragmenter since it has such low priority.

The nice thing about it, is that it takes care of fragmentation automatically and the user does not have to understand anything about the subject at all. All PC functions ideally are headed in that direction. Very similar to the normal use of the automobile.

I have WinXP and I do testing and using of Defraggler like you. I enjoy watching the blocks.

Some of things that you suggest will probably come about. I will have to pay more attention and look for the

"orange" colors also. You can drag the map down and see much more detail in the blocks. You may already know this but other users will enjoy knowing it.

I just figure the block colors to be obvious. Some free space will lighten the block. It is too bad for those that are "color blind" but possibly changes can be made to accommodate them also.

Now, I don't feel too weird watching the blocks. Others do as well!!! :P

Best wishes,

I enjoy watching the blocks.

Some of things that you suggest will probably come about. I will have to pay more attention and look for the

"orange" colors also. You can drag the map down and see much more detail in the blocks. You may already know this but other users will enjoy knowing it.

Thx for the welcome :)

After reading this I could not help but go and photoshop (don't know why I say that since I prefer Gimp) a screen shot of the blocks. I took the screeny before I reread the quote obove and saw that I could increase the amount of squares I see, thx for that.

As you should be able to see in the atached image, the 4 difrent colors that are used for showing fragmentation, partial fragmentation and empty, no fragmantation and what I think is not fragmented and partialy empty (since not fraged and fraged should logicly be somthing along the lines of bluish red). I also added the colors to the legend wich seems to make it easier to veiw the diffrences.

Btw, heres the colors in hexadecimal:

Not Fragmented (dark): #0000ff

Not Fragmented (light): #7d7dff

Fragmented (dark): #ff0000

Fragmented (light): #ff3c3c

Hope that helps (fix) the confusion ;)

The Panda

post-24571-1226287206_thumb.jpg

post-24571-1226287206_thumb.jpg

Thx for the welcome :)

Hope that helps (fix) the confusion ;)

The Panda

Thanks for the picture.

Here is a pic of Defraggler > Action > Defrag Drive

I am testing to see the effects. In the pic it is 55% defragmented. When it started the first half of the map was mostly dark blue interspersed with light blue blocks. The string of red blocks is part of the MFT. When I started the MFT was 3 fragments and now it is listed by Windows Disk Defragmenter analysis as 7 fragments.

We will see once it is finished what the MFT results are and any noticeable change in daily usage speed.

t2260_DriveCdef20081109.png

P.S. I normally only do "file list" defragmentation. It is sufficient for most users. This is a "special" test of "whole drive defrag" for this Hard Drive. A drive with both dark blue and interspersed light blue blocks is a "healthy" drive. Having up to 10% fragmentation is normal also.

P.S.S. The above map is a Defraggler graphical depiction of a WinXP system. Windows Vista depictions may show much more "fragmentation" and mislead the user into thinking that their Drive is in terrible shape when in actuality their Drive is in proper "healthy" condition.

Edited by davey