Firefox 3 Final

Andavari

Would you please explain just how the IE Tab works? I have it but not quite sure what to do with it. Can I get windows update through it?

Thanks

Well, for me, no. Vista doesn't use the website to update no more :(

I just installed it for the fact that some people claimed it wouldn't install for them. I've just been too lazy to uninstall. I actually use User Agent Switcher to go on sites that have the 'IE-or-GTFO' kind of layout (or any site that, you know... has a layout that tells you 'no-way-you-have-x-browser-we-want-y-browser'. ^_^

[edit] : but, from the website : http://ietab.mozdev.org/ the first thing I notice is the first line : Believe it or not, we really ran Windows Update from Mozilla/Firefox.. So... I guess you can :P

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

A big bug with CCleaner v2.08.588 with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 please read

well as for me im staying with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 for the time being tell they fix with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 if you click to watch a video with a pop up in its own box you have nothing but problams on viewing it take for a exaple i found on wwe.com if you try watching a video they wont load and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 it works fine . but puting that a side also what i found out that needs to be fixed in CCleaner with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 sites you view you know how they get saved in the address bar where you would type in a site with CCleaner v2.08.588 it dose not clean them up they just stay in the menu bar part there

Yes but I tried it on both the small icon and big icon setting and neither way has the big back button that I keep seeing in screen shots. I am on XP so is the big back button an Vista thing?

The big back button should be on XP too. Could you post a screenshot of your Firefox with the large icons?

A big bug with CCleaner v2.08.588 with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 please read

well as for me im staying with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 for the time being tell they fix with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 if you click to watch a video with a pop up in its own box you have nothing but problams on viewing it take for a exaple i found on wwe.com if you try watching a video they wont load and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 it works fine . but puting that a side also what i found out that needs to be fixed in CCleaner with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 sites you view you know how they get saved in the address bar where you would type in a site with CCleaner v2.08.588 it dose not clean them up they just stay in the menu bar part there

Is it, by any chance, this link, bookmarked? The new style that they have is that they bring your bookmarks into your typing, as a way to avoid having to fully type everything. I can't remember what I did, (it could be an add-on), but I have it so it doesn't do it anymore. And, in a sec, I'll check to see if I come across problems on wwe.com. Edit this in a sec.

[edit] : I'm not coming across any problems. Can you specify a video that might be buggy for you?

[edit-edit] : Ohhh, wait. Did you do a new install of the Windows Media Player 11 Plug-in? If you didn't, it won't work. I'll find the link later.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

Guys I know how to change the icons from small or large trust me ;)

Here is a shot of the default FF3 skin with Large Icons selected.

e0505f1ba8b2.jpg

Here it is with Small icons selected.

c4c9a25f6ed5.jpg

As you can clearly see I do not have a large back button.

no i will never install Windows Media Player 11 i do not like it i stick with Windows Media Player 10 also X Codec Pack version 2.2.0 build 514 that can be found here http://www.xcodecpack.net/ and also i install XP Codec Pack 2.3.8 that can be found here http://www.xpcodecpack.com/download , now as to the sites on Firefox 3.0 when viewing websites they get saved in the bar thing if you click on the pont down thing you will see them same as always in any FireFox or Internet explore or any web Browser but when you close Firefox 3.0 and run your CCleaner then open Firefox 3.0 and click the thing on the top you see all the sites still you viset it that needs to be fixed when they release a new CCleaner Build

no i will never install Windows Media Player 11 i do not like it i stick with Windows Media Player 10 also X Codec Pack version 2.2.0 build 514 that can be found here http://www.xcodecpack.net/ and also i install XP Codec Pack 2.3.8 that can be found here http://www.xpcodecpack.com/download , now as to the sites on Firefox 3.0 when viewing websites they get saved in the bar thing if you click on the pont down thing you will see them same as always in any FireFox or Internet explore or any web Browser but when you close Firefox 3.0 and run your CCleaner then open Firefox 3.0 and click the thing on the top you see all the sites still you viset it that needs to be fixed when they release a new CCleaner Build

I'm not going to respond to the first half. 'nuff said.

Secondly, I can't seem to find this problem you're having. I've been using Firefox 3 since beta 5, and haven't seen anything resembling what you're saying. CCleaner cleans it up, just as it does IE7, and just as it does Opera 9.5...besides, I also have it set so that everytime I close Firefox, it automatically deletes my browsing history, download history, saved forms, blah, blah, you all know the rest.

At the same time, I do not allow it to retain any form of history, and I only allow cookies to last for as long as my session lasts.

@Anthony A - does that also happen on a new profile or in Firefox's safe mode?

That is FF Portable so there is no start menu item to start it in safe mode. It's a clean install and a fresh profile. I started from scratch with it.

I have no problem with the Opera content blocker. I filter list from the several available and I am very happy with the ad blocking.

As for NoScript that functionality is built right into Opera as well. Just disable java script globally in Opera settings than enable it on a per site basis with Opera's Site Preferences feature. Site Preferences is one of Opera's best features. I use it to manage cookies to. I set Opera to delete new cookies on exit but disable that on sites I want to keep cookies for so they are white listed.

I find Opera's startup slow if I use a filter list to block ads. As for NoScript-like functionality in Opera, I find it rather a hassle. Does v9.5 have the ability to temporarily allow scripts in sites when you click on them, like how NoScript does it?

Also, some sites I visit look terrible in Opera, for example Mobius Games. I don't what it will appear on others' screens.

P.S.

Did you edit the classic.jar/classic.manifest in the chrome folder of Firefox so it will use the Strata theme for Vista? Because that's what I did to mine.

I find Opera's startup slow if I use a filter list to block ads.

Opera launches instantly for me. Much faster than FF.

As for NoScript-like functionality in Opera, I find it rather a hassle. Does v9.5 have the ability to temporarily allow scripts in sites when you click on them, like how NoScript does it?

You can get a custom button and place it on the tool bar that will toggle java script off and on with a single click. That + site preferences will do what you want.

P.S.

Did you edit the classic.jar/classic.manifest in the chrome folder of Firefox so it will use the Strata theme for Vista? Because that's what I did to mine.

No

I find Opera's startup slow if I use a filter list to block ads. As for NoScript-like functionality in Opera, I find it rather a hassle. Does v9.5 have the ability to temporarily allow scripts in sites when you click on them, like how NoScript does it?

Also, some sites I visit look terrible in Opera, for example Mobius Games. I don't what it will appear on others' screens.

P.S.

I checked it out (mobiusgames) It looked all messed up with FF3, but was actually cleaner with IE7. -skims through source- Ok. For some reason, it seems that FF3 doesn't like to use all CSS functions. Could explain why it is so in Opera as well? Oh well. heh.

[edit] : Just came across this news

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08...08&from=rss

[original post] : Here's what my setup looks like right now :

post-20533-1214032551_thumb.jpg

I use fire fox 3 on XP and my mother uses it on vista and we've never had any problems. It may be because my mother is a very a novice user, but if it get pasts kaspersky antivirus and the plethora of add-ons she's trawled over the years, I don't see why it shouldn't work for everyone.

None of the new features are really all that useful, and firefox didn't hog resources before (it supposedly takes up less now); I would have much preferred for them to spend their time working on a new GUI tat isn't just splicing the back/forward buttons together and dwarfing the other icons.

I use fire fox 3 on XP and my mother uses it on vista and we've never had any problems. It may be because my mother is a very a novice user, but if it get pasts kaspersky antivirus and the plethora of add-ons she's trawled over the years, I don't see why it shouldn't work for everyone.

None of the new features are really all that useful, and firefox didn't hog resources before (it supposedly takes up less now); I would have much preferred for them to spend their time working on a new GUI tat isn't just splicing the back/forward buttons together and dwarfing the other icons.

Just because you or your mother haven't come across any problems, doesn't mean anyone else might. I, for example, use minimal add-ons, keeping to what I need, and deleting what I don't. (Although, I go on monthly add-on sprees, to see if I 'click' with any.) I actually had my first crash since beta installation, but that was due to some add-ons that weren't fully compatible yet.

And, if your mother installs large number of add-ons, it does nothing more than build up in memory. It's not viruses we're concerned about, it's user-friendliness and general overall clean running. Another note, Firefox is well-known to be a resource-hog. Install Firefox 2, and install the general add-ons, (not sure which, although there are quite a few lists that would give you an idea.), open up 15 tabs. I believe one test had the memory-usage at somewhere near 220-ish, which was just under IE7 with the same number of tabs open. Nonetheless, for alot of people, that can be alot of RAM that would be better spent elsewhere.

GUI's are GUI's. You can customize it. They give you a basic one. You can choose to install new themes, which can do wonders for it, or you can play with Chrome yourself. They're not concerned with GUI's compared to being concerned about speed and functionality.

Anyways, it's about bed-time for me...

G'nite!

[edit] : and just because I need to have my bedtime smoke, I'll add that, in general, those who are 'skilled' or have a 'general' grasp on computers are generally less likely to screw things up. I've found that novice users don't know what to look out for, and are very ignorant to the ways of the internet. I remember when I was a kid, I downloaded (if I may borrow the word) a plethora of viruses because I was... well... a kid. I didn't know that what I had downloaded were viruses! Now, however, I know what to look out for, I know what to trust. A 'really novice' user wouldn't know that, and end up, say, walking straight into a rickroll, as my friend is keen on saying.

That is FF Portable so there is no start menu item to start it in safe mode. It's a clean install and a fresh profile. I started from scratch with it.

In that case, I would redownload Firefox portable, not tweak anything or add anything, and see if its still the same.

Alternatively, you could do an actual install of Firefox 3 and see if it still happens.

I checked it out (mobiusgames) It looked all messed up with FF3, but was actually cleaner with IE7. -skims through source- Ok. For some reason, it seems that FF3 doesn't like to use all CSS functions. Could explain why it is so in Opera as well? Oh well. heh.

One of those sites that only works in IE.

In Opera set Opera to identify or mask as IE and see what happens. Go to the site and right click and select "site preferences" than on the "network" tab you will see an option to change how Opera identifies it's self. Set it to identify or mask as IE and than reload the page or just leave the page and try to enter it again.

In that case, I would redownload Firefox portable, not tweak anything or add anything, and see if its still the same.

Alternatively, you could do an actual install of Firefox 3 and see if it still happens.

I am using the portable version for the main reason of wanting to test out FF3 without messing up my FF2 install which is working perfectly for me. I can simply down load Portable FF3 again and just run it from any folder I choose without touching a single setting and see if the button issue still exists but I really don't care. I set the buttons to small icons any ways so I will not see the big back button. I was just curious why I wasn't seeing it when I set FF3 to use large icons.

I figured out why I don't have the big back button. I am using All In One Side Bar and I had to change the install rdf to make it work with FF3. This is the cause. I disabled the extension and the big back button appeared when I set FF to use large icons.

One of those sites that only works in IE.

In Opera set Opera to identify or mask as IE and see what happens. Go to the site and right click and select "site preferences" than on the "network" tab you will see an option to change how Opera identifies it's self. Set it to identify or mask as IE and than reload the page or just leave the page and try to enter it again.

I don't use Opera no more. I just wasn't comfortable with it. Anywho, Mobiusgames.net did end up working with IEtab. Strange.

I don't use Opera no more. I just wasn't comfortable with it. Anywho, Mobiusgames.net did end up working with IEtab. Strange.

Not really. IE Tab disaplays the page inside FF using the IE engine. You were actually looking at the page with IE inside FF.