Firefox 3 Final

Andavari

• Moderators

I definitely won't ever be using Firefox 3 Final because all it can do on my system is crash one minute after another. This hearkens back to the days when Firefox was first released when I could never run it due to constant crashing, and I had always been wondering just when that day would return and I've found out it was today. Even trying to go into Tools->Options->Advanced causes an immediate crash, as well as other areas too.

Luckily I had a full complete backup of my settings from 2.0.0.14. So it looks like I'm going to be in the find a different alternative browser market starting tomorrow and will give Opera another whirl, and if that doesn't work I'll be strictly using IE or an IE clone like Maxthon, etc. :(

I just installed FF3 but of my 2 profiles the one I use all the time is now missing the back and forward buttons. It is missing some other menu buttons as well. My other profile does have the items that I mention. Can I uninstall FF3 and get my FF2 back with my bookmarks and such in tact?? Or... because I use Febe do I reinstall FF2 and then do a FF2 backup?

Is it possible to move my bookmarks from one profile to another in FF3. Actually Maybe my entire profile. Febe 6 Beta wouldn't restore an older version of Febe

Thanks

I definitely won't ever be using Firefox 3 Final because all it can do on my system is crash one minute after another. This hearkens back to the days when Firefox was first released when I could never run it due to constant crashing, and I had always been wondering just when that day would return and I've found out it was today. Even trying to go into Tools->Options->Advanced causes an immediate crash, as well as other areas too.

Luckily I had a full complete backup of my settings from 2.0.0.14. So it looks like I'm going to be in the find a different alternative browser market starting tomorrow and will give Opera another whirl, and if that doesn't work I'll be strictly using IE or an IE clone like Maxthon, etc. :(

I am going to wait for a while before I update to FF3. I have the portable version on my machine so that I can play with it and not mess up my FF2 install. I didnt find 3 to have anything that would want to make me update to it plus none of my themes work with it yet.

Why not try the portable version from portableapps.com? You have nothing to lose.

• Moderators

If you remove FF3 you "may" be able to reinstall FF2 with everything intact, but don't quote me on that.

When I removed FF3 I opted to do a clean install, then I restored all my settings from a backup.

Actually I didn't wait for tomorrow, I'm now using Opera 9.50, and so far I'm liking it, however I have the Maxthon 2 installer handy just in case I change my mind.

• Moderators
Why not try the portable version from portableapps.com? You have nothing to lose.

Well I'm not even messing with it, since the installable FF3 did nothing but crash. So in short I'm completely done with Firefox.

And like you said none of the themes work, and I only used one called Winestripe. It also didn't work with some add-ons like Dr. Web Antivirus Link Checker. Since the add-ons are now all signed or whatever and HTTPS I've also removed my Firefox XPI Installer Add-on I had available in my signature.

Hmm, I had no problem and my MozBackup worked great for some profile stuff. Of course most of the addons aren't ready yet, if they ever will be. Just a few work for now. Forget about the Addon site & most Mozilla sites, they're all stomped. And of course you know that anyone who knows anything about support prolly has a few drinks in them by now so they couldn't care less.

If you remove FF3 you "may" be able to reinstall FF2 with everything intact, but don't quote me on that.

When I removed FF3 I opted to do a clean install, then I restored all my settings from a backup.

Actually I didn't wait for tomorrow, I'm now using Opera 9.50, and so far I'm liking it, however I have the Maxthon 2 installer handy just in case I change my mind.

Would a system restore be an option??

OK just did another toolbar update and now have everything EXCEPT the back and forward buttons

Did you save your FF2 profile folder? If yes, then do a clean uninstall of FF3, install FF2 and put your old profile folder into it.

If not, clean uninstall FF3, install FF2 and you'll be starting from square 1 again, no bookmarks or extensions.

• Moderators
Would a system restore be an option??

That isn't going to fully help you, you'll end up with a jumbled mess of restored .exe and .dll files for v2, and have other data files belonging to v3.

Corona

Where would I look for it?

Andavari

I tried doing a another install but it got me back in the same place. I only need the back / forward buttons back (they are grayed out in Customize)

Or I need help in copying and pasting my info from one profile to another.

Thanks everyone for the help

Just tried FF 3 installed within a Returnil session and inside Sandboxie which will save any uninstalls if I don't like it and which I don't!

No noticable speed difference and one of my addons, yahoo mail checker, doesn't work properly.

I told Mozilla about a bug a while back in that if I go to Bookmarks - Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, right click it and select - Open All in Tabs then all your other bookmarks open instead of the Tabs Bar bookmarks and it still doesn't seem to be fixed or it may be my setup?

FF 2 is running fine and fast here.I have tweaked it a fair bit and atm I intend sticking with it for quite a while, but will probably give FF 3 a run every so often to see if it improves.

FAQ Check near the top about profiles and changing profiles.

All fixed guys

Thanks

Stupid me, when going into customize I had seen that the buttons (back/forward) were grayed out. I now tried dragging them over and it worked.

Sorry!

I have Returnil Virtual System installed on my PC and use it when I'm trying out new software ie the Foxfire 3 browser I installed it and it was pretty fast compared to Ver. 2 but allot of the add-ons,themes have not been update as of yet.

After playing around with it for awhile and deciding I wasn't quiet ready to take the Ver. 3 plunge,I just rebooted my system and I was back to using Ver. 2 like nothing had happened.

If you don't have Returnil you can just use add and remove to uninstall 3 reinstall Ver. 2 and use your FEBE restore option backup to set Ver. 2 back to where it was before depending on if you have auto backup turned on with FEBE or you have done a recent manual backup. It functioned fine on my system just wasn't able to use my add-ons at this time,I will probably just give ita month or two and try it out again.

You people that want to play with FF3 without messing with your FF2 install just use the portable version. It is the exact same as the install version except it has all it's files in one folder and does not need an install. You can run it on your machines without touching FF2. No need to jump through all the hoops you are doing just to try out FF3 without messing with FF2.

The portable version's cache is set to zero and with no cache browsing is much slower.

That is easily fixed by going into the settings and changing that. In my experience setting the cache to 0 increased speed because FF is not using the disk for cache it's using RAM and RAM is faster than disk any day off the week. The only reason the portable version is set to 0 is to cut down on the read/writes to the thumb drive and decrease wear on it and increase it's life span.

Even if you couldn't set the cache to something other than 0 so what. The portable version is still a completely risk free way to try out FF3 with out touching FF2. When you are finished with it just delete the folder and be done with it.

• Moderators
The portable version is still a completely risk free way to try out FF3 with out touching FF2. When you are finished with it just delete the folder and be done with it.

That's very good advice! ;)

I love firefox, but version 3 was a mess for me. no forward/back buttons, half the extensions didnt work, it seemed slower, and kept crashing. i uninstalled it and went back to the old firefox and no problems.....for a change i will be using opera a bit, but unfortunately it doesnt work on my 64 bit vista. :(

FF3 for me i most certainly didn't like at all. it was a bit slow, Add-ons didn't work, and the Theme was just ugly. i went back to FF2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I also found FF3 to be slower than 2 so I don't know where all this BS about a huge speed increase is coming from. FF2 is faster than FF3 and Opera 9.5 simply destroys both of them. I also hate the new bookmarks manager. It's just confusing and I don't like the new "awesome bar". The only thing awesome about it is how awesomely annoying it is. I am not surprised by this release. I knew it was coming by the way they butchered the addon site.

I love firefox, but version 3 was a mess for me. no forward/back buttons, half the extensions didnt work, it seemed slower, and kept crashing. i uninstalled it and went back to the old firefox and no problems.....for a change i will be using opera a bit, but unfortunately it doesnt work on my 64 bit vista. :(

What do you mean no forward or back buttons? I have them.

I'm forced to write this in IE because pos Firefox crashed as soon as it loaded. I managed to keep it open, but it won't load any page, and trying will freeze it. Opening the bookmarks sidebar freezes and crashes it as well as trying to open the add-ons window. Safe mode does the same, except worse. Closing it closes the window but the process keeps eating more and more memory until it crashes numerous other running apps. This happens with v3, and v2. Killing firefox.exe has become routine. If it were not for the addons I would dump firefox permanentally as it really is a pile of crap and gets worse with every update.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.