defraggler taking up space...

legend

today i decided to download the latest defraggler and defrag my drive... i had about 1.30 gb in free space....

i clicked drive c: and clicked analyze and then clicked defrag.......then i went and just browsed the net..... after a while i got a blue screen the one with the physical dump etc etc. (defraggler didnt finish defragging cuz i got a blue screen)

so i restarted my pc and turned it off and on....when i logged back in it said i only have 500mb left in free space.... WTF?

i am currently running defraggler again with the same steps i mentioned above..... and heres a screenshot

1535vnr.jpg

here are my specs:

windows xp home edition

service pack 2

amd athlon 64 processor 3000+

1.80 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Oh bugger.

I've left my home PC running the new version and it seems to be going the same way. :(

Hope it is still alive when I get home!

Windows XP Media Center 2005 with SP3

Intel Dual Core E6200 [i think]

2 GB Ram

300gb (200gb data) and 200gb (150gb data) drives.

rS

I noticed this the first time I used it. Although, it was temporary. It did it, I noticed, when defragging my roomie's WoW updater/information/extras/etc (essentially any file +1GB) during a total defrag. Afterwards, (especially with the new GUI, as I now can watch it "count back down") it goes back to what it was, and all is well.

I was concerned, the first time 'round, but was quite satisfied later on.

@legend:

Most systems, I find, don't generally work "top-notch" if you have under a specific percentage of your total HD space. Could be circumstancial, but still. Think about deleting some unnecessary items and you shouldn't have any problems.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Guest MrRon

Legend, do you have kernel dump enabled? If so, the crash would have created a large file that explains the loss of space.

:)

MrRon

@legend:

Most systems, I find, don't generally work "top-notch" if you have under a specific percentage of your total HD space. Could be circumstancial, but still. Think about deleting some unnecessary items and you shouldn't have any problems.

I was thinking the same thing myself.

But let's face it. What is 450,000 fragments between friends anyway?

Man that is a lot of hits!!!

:) davey

I've just downloaded and installed Defraggler myself, and have barely tested it, so I can't really tell you too much about this specific program.

What i can tell you, though, is that with virtually no free space on your system disk (where Windows is installed, usually drive C), ANYTHING can happen. I wouldn't recommend having less than 20% of your C-drive free at any time. It seems you have been around 0-1%, and almost anything can crash your system. A lot of programs, not to mention Windows itself, will use and release a lot of harddisk space without informing you in any way, creating temporary files etc. This means that it's often impossible to pinpoint exactly what "stole" harddisk space at a specific time.

Defraggers (generally) will always struggle if there's not enough "elbow room" to work with. To some extent this goes for other drives as well, but they are not as vulnerable as the system drive, for several reasons. One is that you will normally have much more control over what files are placed there, and when. Another reason is that the files on other drives will normally not be as critical to the operation of your system.

It's also a good idea to have as few programs / processes as possible running when you are defragging. Files being used at the moment will normally not be defragmented, for one thing. Also, in the event of a problem, the fewer things running, the better.

hartvix

today i decided to download the latest defraggler and defrag my drive... i had about 1.30 gb in free space....

1535vnr.jpg

here are my specs:

windows xp home edition

service pack 2

1.80 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Hi legend,

Welcome to forum!!!

Like all the others have said,your C drive is too full.It is no wonder you are suffering from BSODs.

First thing you need to do is delete some of the junk from your PC.

Download CCleaner http://www.CCleaner.com/ and follow what I suggested for this member.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Start > My Documents each one of you.My Music and My Videos and right click on the junk and select Delete.

Other than that you need an external hard drive to copy what you want to keep and then delete from the C drive.

Create a new screen shot and come back here after you and the other users have deleted at least 15 gigs.

Best wishes,

Edited by davey

I have an idea for how to keep Defraggler from filling up your hard drive, as it decided to take up about 300 MB on mine (while defragging specific files, hadn't noticed it taking up space doing that before). I understand that Defraggler wants to write the files elsewhere on the disk and then put them back contiguously, so why not allow the user to specify the place to write them to? That way after Defraggler is done you could just delete everything leftover in the folder and regain the space. Currently it seems to be putting the files in the inaccessible System Volume Information so let it go to the temp folder or to another drive even.

I like being able to defrag my computer, but at the cost of free space, which is at a premium on my laptop, I cannot do it.

Wow, I saw this thread so I thought I should test it out.

freespace before first defrag: 253357158400

Then I ran the new version of defraggler for the first time, but after about two hours i stopped it because I needed to use my computer.

Freespace after first defrag: 248954216448

Yeah, that's almost 5GB gone there. So I decided to run defraggler all night. Maybe stoping it in the middle messed it up somehow?

Freespace now (After second defrag): 241366081536

So now I have about 12GB missing. No other programs have been running. Any ideas why defraggler is doing this or how to get the space back?

I tried using the great program WinDirStat to try to find the missing space, but instead, I have a 42.1GB chunk of "unknown."' You can download the program here: http://windirstat.info/ When you run it, go to options -> show unknown.

-Jason

Has anyone performed a "CHKDSK /R" after defragging?

I did just now. It had no effect.

Edit: I have found a way to regain the lost space. Simply disable system restore, and then re-enable it. You will lose all of your restore points, though.

I did just now. It had no effect.

Edit: I have found a way to regain the lost space. Simply disable system restore, and then re-enable it. You will lose all of your restore points, though.

P.S. Almost forgot! Thanks EliTe185 for a great solution.

What happens if you just use the Windows Clean Disk utility Advanced tab and just get rid of all System Restore points except the last one.You want to take a manual System Restore point before dong this,so you have a complete System Restore point.

Also run ERUNT before doing this.Better too much than too little back up.

Don't forget to turn your system restore back on and reboot to get things going again after doing what YOU did to get your space back.

The Clean Disk utility is the best way to go so you don't have to worry about not having a System Restore Point available.

For now I would only Defrag files and not all of them.Untick at least one.

Good luck you guys,

P.S. Most of you guys know if Defraggler is running right or not.Watch the speed!!!

For now smaller chunks several times is better.

Edited by davey

windows xp home edition

service pack 2

1.80 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

:)
I noticed this the first time I used it. Although, it was temporary. It did it, I noticed, when defragging my roomie's WoW updater/information/extras/etc (essentially any file +1GB) during a total defrag. Afterwards, (especially with the new GUI, as I now can watch it "count back down") it goes back to what it was, and all is well.

I was concerned, the first time 'round, but was quite satisfied later on.

I've just downloaded and installed Defraggler myself, and have barely tested it, so I can't really tell you too much about this specific program.

hartvix

II like being able to defrag my computer, but at the cost of free space, which is at a premium on my laptop, I cannot do it.
Has anyone performed a "CHKDSK /R" after defragging?

Thanks to all in this thread.This should be of interest to you.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=106234

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=106246