Avast antivirus 4.8 home edition-(for Avast users)

Eli

• Moderators
Hey you have automatic updates set to off. Go stand in the corner :lol:

Ah, you spotted that Anthony.

I've a good reason for it though. Avast updates every day, and sometimes twice a day. If I'm running Returnil, which I often am, then the Virus Database updates are wiped out when I reboot.

So I was doing two or three times more updates than I needed. Updating again the ones that were wiped.

The way I have it configured now is a liitle green pop up window appears beside the sys tray, telling me a new database is available. So I always launch a browser before I launch Returnil, and within 30 seconds that little window pops up, and I say yes please.

If it pops up while I'm under Returnil, I ignore it, and it goes away.

But well spotted all the same mate. I owe you one. :lol:

Yeah, I don't use IM's so I disabled that shield. And I only use Limewire once in a blue moon so I unchecked all the other apps in that shield. The rest I leave alone. Avast has been working fine for me so far. Except that guys' voice that comes out of nowhere telling me Avast has been updated. Scares the bejeebus outta me sometimes. I know, I can turn the sounds off. :lol:

I just read the above posts and started cracking up. I want a gruff pirates' voice telling me Avast! Ye have an update, matey!

And yeah, that metallic blob of an interface was outta there as soon as I found the online skin page. Let me post my skin. (Uh oh, that didn't sound right.)

th_avast.jpg

Yeah, I don't use IM's so I disabled that shield. And I only use Limewire once in a blue moon so I unchecked all the other apps in that shield. The rest I leave alone. Avast has been working fine for me so far. Except that guys' voice that comes out of nowhere telling me Avast has been updated. Scares the bejeebus outta me sometimes. I know, I can turn the sounds off. :lol:

Its more comfortable than Open the pod bay doors, HAL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I just read the above posts and started cracking up. I want a gruff pirates' voice telling me Avast! Ye have an update, matey!

And yeah, that metallic blob of an interface was outta there as soon as I found the online skin page. Let me post my skin. (Uh oh, that didn't sound right.)

th_avast.jpg

That guys voice is Data from "Star Trek, The Next Generation". Being a long time fan I loved hearing him tell me my database had been updated. :D ?But because of the Returnil thing I mentioned, I've had to turn him off. :(

The skin thing? I hope you wash it first. :rolleyes:

I'd still let the ones that you feel you need run. Give me a moment and I'll fire up the VM and install avast.

Edit:

Okay, I'm going to base this off my usage (if I used an anti-virus), obviously your uses will vary. :)

Instant Messaging - I uncheck all except gaim (which is Pidgin now). So that frees up a lot of checked items and thus you'll see some benefit.

Internet (Web based) Email - tend to leave alone, since it covers Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

Network - Good if you use a notebook or frequently connect to wireless LANs.

P2P - If I ever use anything, it was in the past and it would be uTorrent, so a lot to uncheck there. Just like IM Shield.

Standard - I leave alone

Web Shield - I leave alone

Now if I install this on a clients machine per request, I leave everything at default. But unticking programs you don't use does help.

Hi Tarum

The Internet Email provider does not scan web based mail !!! it does however scan incoming and outgoing e-mail messages processed by clients other than MS Outlook or Exchange, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc.

Regards

EP

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Except that guys' voice that comes out of nowhere telling me Avast has been updated. Scares the bejeebus outta me sometimes. I know, I can turn the sounds off. :lol:

I just read the above posts and started cracking up. I want a gruff pirates' voice telling me Avast! Ye have an update, matey

And I thought I was the only one.

Where I am and when I am on the PC there is normally nothing and no one around.Most of the time no TV or music in the background.

Outta nowhere comes this voice and instantly results in the "flight or fight" re-action,adrenaline rush,increased BP and breathing.

I don't need that.Where is that "off" switch? :unsure:

The only option I have touched so far is "no scan at start-up" offered at installation.I haven't touched any other options.Haven't even looked at them.Just running Avast as it was installed and the CCleaner options that may be in it to clean Avast files.

I am running an early 2004 Dell Dimension Pent4 2.8 GH and 256 MB RAM with 80 GB HD.Only slow down is at start-up of maybe 15 - 30 secs.No complaints so far from other users either.

Initial start-up after install was slow for awhile while it apparently built some data bases.After that only the little "a" ball spinning every now and then when I do something.

Regards,

:) davey

P.S. If that is "Data's" voice from Star Trek,then that would explain it.Seems like whenever he spoke up something imminent was about to occur.

I would much rather have "Worf's" voice,then I would feel more secure about my update.Where is that option?

Edited by davey

Right click on the spinning or non-spinning blue ball, choose Start Avast antivirus, turn off the "memory test" just to make things quicker, right click anywhere in the main window, choose Settings, choose Sounds, check the box to Disable Avast Sounds.

I'd rather have Q telling me how pathetic it is how we mortals rely on a futile antivirus program.

• Moderators

Some info for anyone not using Avast but thinking about it.

Resident Protection

Resident protection is a special type of task that monitors (according to its settings) all applications being executed and all documents being opened, effectively avoiding virus infection in real time. The task contains a number of so-called providers that are special modules protecting various parts of your computer, e.g. file system or e-mail. Each of these modules can be set up independently.

The resident protection has a special task property - called "default". This task marked as default is started automatically on each start of the operating system and it is not recommended to stop it. It is announced by the "a"-letter icon in the system tray.

-------------------

Standard Shield - Provider Settings

Standard Shield checks the programs you start and the files you access. It will not allow an infected program to be started - so, the virus code cannot be activated.

Normal. Default setting.

High. In addition to the default setting, created and modified files will be scanned as well.

Outlook/Exchange - Provider Settings

This setting affects MS Outlook and MS Exchange mail clients only. For setting up the other mail clients, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc., see Internet Mail Provider.

Normal. Default setting.

High. In addition to the default setting, even read messages are scanned on open and the heuristic sensitivity is set to High.

Internet Mail - Provider Settings

Internet Mail provider is used to protect the e-mail processed by other mail clients than MS Outlook or MS Exchange.

Normal. Default setting.

High. The heuristic sensitivity is set to High.

Script Blocking - Provider Settings

Script Blocking provider is a module protecting your computer against script viruses from web pages. Some web pages might contain a script virus. Normally, running such a virus should not have any consequences, because the scripts are run in a protected mode that prevents them from accessing any files. However, there is a theoretical possibility that you might get infected this way (somebody may find a browser bug that will be exploited by the virus). It is the reason for avast! checking the web pages scripts.

Normal. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.

High. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.

"Instant Messaging" - Provider Settings

The Instant Messaging provider protects your communication programs. Many communication programs are capable of sending and receiving files from other users. This way, it is rather easy to get an infected file and spread it further. Some viruses are even able to spread using the communication programs, without the user knowing about it. The Instant Messaging provider avoids this kind of infection. It monitors the folder where the received and sent files are stored. Whenever the content of the folder changes (a new file appears, a file is modified, etc.), avast! immediately performs a scan. On Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 operating systems, all the files modified by the communication programs are scanned (even outside of the mentioned folder).

P2P Shield - Provider Settings

P2P Shield protects a number of file-sharing programs (so-called P2P programs, Peer-To-Peer). The risk of getting an infected file from a P2P network is rather high due to the uncontrolled flow of data over the P2P networks. Some viruses are even capable of abusing P2P programs to spread themselves, without the user knowing about it. The P2P Shield resident provider will make file-sharing safe.

Network Shield - Provider Settings

Network Shield provider protects your computer from Internet worm attacks. It works similarly to a firewall, even though it does not fully substitutes it. The Network Shield does not require any user interraction.

Note: This resident provider is available on Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and 2008 only.

Normal. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.

High. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.

Hope this helps.

Right click on the spinning or non-spinning blue ball, choose Start Avast antivirus, turn off the "memory test" just to make things quicker, right click anywhere in the main window, choose Settings, choose Sounds, check the box to Disable Avast Sounds.

I'd rather have Q telling me how pathetic it is how we mortals rely on a futile antivirus program.

Corona,

Yeah,even our machines are subject to infections."Q" no thanks.

Now I am off to find a snippet of "Seven of Nine". "Resistance is futile!!!" Who's resisting? Who's resisting?

Thanks,

:) davey

Hi Tarum

The Internet Email provider does not scan web based mail !!! it does however scan incoming and outgoing e-mail messages processed by clients other than MS Outlook or Exchange, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc.

Regards

EP

Good catch, thanks for the update. In truth I just skimmed over the shields and their descriptions. :)