Driver Updates

tcoffeep

Hello!

I recently downloaded a program called RadarSync and ran it. Supposedly, it helps sniff out driver-updates, sort of like the hardware-equivalent of the free/software-sniffer from FileHippo. Anywho, I gave it a run, and it tells me I need 15 driver updates (mind you, not need), and gave me download points. I want to see if anyone else has any idea whether this is safe to do (also, I've made sure these were real drivers, as many people try to fsck with others, if you get my meaning.)

My computer : (I'm new to getting my system specs, so I apologize)

Intel Pentium Dual CPU 1.6 Ghz

1014 MB RAM

Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family (driver : igdumd32.dll version : 7.14.0010.1461 )

Realtek High Definition Audio (driver : RTKVHDA.dll version : 6.00.0001.5548 )

This is all new to me, so, as well as giving me any tips possible, would someone please direct me (if you want, that is) to somewhere I could learn more about hardware/drivers?

Anyways, so, looking at this, it looks ok, I think. Now, here are the Driver updates I supposedly need :

Intel 82901G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current Version : 8.6.1.1002 -

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0

Intel 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Controller - 27B8

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D2

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 8.6.1.1002 -

Intel 945G/GZ/P/PL Processor to I/O Controller - 2770

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 8.3.0.1011 -

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 8.2.0.1011 -

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 8.2.0.1008 -

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current Version : 8.2.0.1008 -

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9

Intel 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 7.0.0.1011 -

Compatible PS/2 Port Mouse ( Gigabyte Technology Corp.)

- My version : 6.0.6001.1800 - Current version : 6.20.173.0

Realtek High Definition Audio

- My version : 6.0.1.5548 - Current Version : 6.0.1.5624 -

May I now mention that my hands are in muchos pain? :D

Anyways, if anyone is able to enlighten me on whether or not it would be beneficial or detrimental to make these updates, I will be most gracious. If there is any other information necessary in order for you to figure out whether or not I should, etc, ask, and I will get it posted immediately.

I thank you for even reading.

BDKL

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Has a RadarSync toolbar and and Carbonite free pre-selected during install :blink:

I ran it and it claimed my Intel drivers were down level but the More Info panel showed that the installed driver was more up to date :huh:

I would not download any drivers unless they are from the manufacturer's site and I don't let Windows Update install drivers either.

This is blatent spam :o

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm really new to the whole "upgrading drivers," and want to learn how to do it properly, and it's rather hard trying to keep track of everything on my own. It seems that most of these programs are bug-ridden and/or security-risks and/or rip-off scames, but, I'm always wondering. (although, this is the first driver-updater that actually gave me a choice in turning the toolbar/extra-crap off, so, that's why I was wondering).

I honestly think that the manufacturer should put out a sort of "updater" in order to catch any updates that may or may not have been missed. So, I've fallen in with another scam? I found the link off of lifehacks, and they've always guided me right, but, everyone makes mistakes, no?

Anyways, I skimmed through Intel's website, and I couldn't find any Vista drivers. I could only find up to XP-Professional, which disappointed me. (Not only that, but the whole embedded graphics card is a massive face-palm).

Anyone have any tips on upgrading/updating drivers? I'd rather learn how to do it, than fsck my comp :D

Thanks for the reply, though. -deletes RapidSync ^_^-

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

tcoffeep, we have all been in that predicament starting from DOS 1.1

With the plethora of hardware available that has driven healthy competition between the manufacturers to provide affordable PC systems for us bewildered users that are presented with more flavors of things than ice cream.

Stick around here as there are people here with lots of experience that will offer their opinions.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I honestly think that the manufacturer should put out a sort of "updater" in order to catch any updates that may or may not have been missed. So, I've fallen in with another scam? I found the link off of lifehacks, and they've always guided me right, but, everyone makes mistakes, no?

Anyways, I skimmed through Intel's website, and I couldn't find any Vista drivers. I could only find up to XP-Professional, which disappointed me. (Not only that, but the whole embedded graphics card is a massive face-palm).

Anyone have any tips on upgrading/updating drivers? I'd rather learn how to do it, than fsck my comp :D

Thanks for the reply, though. -deletes RapidSync ^_^-

Hello coffee,

Best luck I had was going to the PC manufacturers site. In my case Dell.

They gave me original specs and all driver updates I needed.

It took around 1/2 hr for this newbie to find his way around but I was up to date altogether in less than 1 hr.

I have been back and got more since.

Start > right click My Computer > Properties > Support info Get your asset id and service code and you are ready.They even pull it off the PC if you can't find it.Quicker if you have it.

:) davey

P.S. Of course,if you go back to the driver site they tell you that you are still not up to date.Latest drivers are not necessarily needed for your set-up and can cause problems as it did to me.

Murphy's law was in effect that day as the driver I needed was for the modem I was connected with to Dell.

Well,maybe Murphy had the day off.

Edited by davey

• Moderators
Of course,if you go back to the driver site they tell you that you are still not up to date.Latest drivers are not necessarily needed for your set-up and can cause problems as it did to me.

This is just my opinion, although based upon an unpleasant BSOD experience resulting from updating drivers.

If your PC is running fine, and you have no problems that you're aware of, I'd think carefully as to whether you actually need to update any drivers, or are you updating simply because they're available.

Each to their own, and it's your choice of course, but I subscribe to the school of thought that "if it ain't broken....etc".

It all depends on the drivers you update.

Updating drivers is a smart thing to do. Often a lot of issues are resolved that you may or may not have been experiencing. This has even happened to a friend who got Age of Conan. After he updated his drivers for his graphics, the game ran twice as fast and much more smoothly. Updating drivers such as graphics, sound and any PCI, AGP or PCI-E device the needs said drivers.

Some drivers are often left alone unless you are experiencing issues, as Dennis has said. Such as your motherboard (chipset) which handles SMBus, USB, AHCI/RAID/SCSI, PCI-E, PCI, AGP, onboard audio, onboard video, etc etc. :)