AVG VS AntiVir scan times

Anthony A

Recently installed Avir AntiVir on a machine that had AVG AV 7.5. The scan times are much faster with Avira. So much so I am wondering if something is wrong. Is there any one else that has tried both that can comment on the speed of the scan compared to each other?

I haven't compared them, but today it took AVG 7.5 over 6 hours to do a thorough scan my PC. It used to take 90 minutes.

It took Antivir 9 min to scan my entire machine. I remember AVG taking twice as long.

Did you recently reinstall AVG 7.5? If you did on the first run after install you get the option of setting the scan priority. If you didn't set it to high than you will get really long scan times. Problem is you can only set this setting on the first run after a clean install. It's a limitation of the free version.

• Moderators

• AVG 7.5 would scan my system in 36 minutes, this is with it reconfigured to scan all files, and with scanning set to the higher priority.
  • AVG 8.0 would take about 55 minutes, this is with the pre-configured default settings.
  • AntiVir 8.0 takes 27 minutes, this is with it reconfigured to scan all files, and with scanning set to the higher priority, and with some exclusions such as the MS Office CAB files.
  • Avast 4.8 takes 46 minutes, this is with the pre-configured default settings, and with some exclusions such as the MS Office CAB files.

I don't think there's anything wrong with AntiVir having faster scan times, remember all av vendors have different scanning engines.

• AVG 7.5 would scan my system in 36 minutes, this is with it reconfigured to scan all files, and with scanning set to the higher priority.

• AVG 8.0 would take about 55 minutes, this is with the pre-configured default settings.

• AntiVir 8.0 takes 27 minutes, this is with it reconfigured to scan all files, and with scanning set to the higher priority, and with some exclusions such as the MS Office CAB files.

• Avast 4.8 takes 46 minutes, this is with the pre-configured default settings, and with some exclusions such as the MS Office CAB files.

I don't think there's anything wrong with AntiVir having faster scan times, remember all av vendors have different scanning engines.

OK thanks. It looks like AntiVir was the fastest by far of all the programs you used.

• Moderators
It looks like AntiVir was the fastest by far of all the programs you used.

Yeah, however it has the ability to have exclusions whereas AVG 7.5 doesn't, I don't know about AVG 8.0 having or not having exclusions because it couldn't stomach it long enough to dig through all of it. So without any exclusions I'd actually expect AntiVir on my system to take perhaps another 5 minutes for a full scan.

Yeah, however it has the ability to have exclusions whereas AVG 7.5 doesn't, I don't know about AVG 8.0 having or not having exclusions because it couldn't stomach it long enough to dig through all of it. So without any exclusions I'd actually expect AntiVir on my system to take perhaps another 5 minutes for a full scan.

I didn't set any exclusions for Antivir. Left it at default and medium priority. After the 9 min scan I thought this can't be right. So I changed the settings to scan "all files" and it only added about 30 seconds to the scan and a couple hundred more files. If I set it to high priority it would probably only take a few min. :unsure:

Haven't scanned with a virus scanner for a long time. I know that i'm not infected. I just know.

Hi CeeCee,

Was it you that did a beta test on Windows Defender ?

:) davey

It took Antivir 9 min to scan my entire machine. I remember AVG taking twice as long.

Did you recently reinstall AVG 7.5? If you did on the first run after install you get the option of setting the scan priority. If you didn't set it to high than you will get really long scan times. Problem is you can only set this setting on the first run after a clean install. It's a limitation of the free version.

Does Avast scan e-mails also?

Does Avast scan e-mails also?

Avast has an email scanner Avira AntiVir does not in the free version. If you open an infected email the Guard still protects you there just is no scanning of the email as it's downloaded from the server.