2 problems

Newhotness

hi,

first one is regarding undeletable files/folders...sometimes i'll create a temp folder on my desktop or whereever, and i won't be able to delete it later, or after i do so it just reappears at next restart? also i can't keep the "read only" tab from being uncheked, i uncheck it then i go in again and its back??

second question, I've hacked my boot screen to something a little less blan, the only problem is that every time i do a windows update it goes back to the boring windows xp boot screen...any suggestions on how to keep mine there? I'm talking about the ntoskrnl.exe file

thankx

You guys aren't getting it.

There's a problem. Third party programs should NOT be used, because this behavior shouldn't be happening to begin with. Don't Eldemannen this thread up!

At any rate...

I want to know about your ntoskrnl problem first (because the first question's answer is more complicated)... what are youusing to patch ntoskrnl, or is it the kind of hack that gives you an already patched ntoskrnl? You could possibly be mixing versions, triggering Windows' QFE to think you need a KB patch. Lemme know about what software you're using, and what exact boot theme you applied, etc.

What kind of file are you creating? When you delete it, it comes back? How is that possible... Are you throwing it in the recycling bin or fully deleting it? Next time you anticipate this will happen, click on your desktop once and hit F5... refreshes your desktop -- will make SURE it's gone. Is system restore turned on? Do you have some kind of weird utilities like Norton Systemworks? Some kind of recycling bin protector? Other odd programs? This is peculiar. Do you get an error if you try to delete a file and it fails? What's the error? etc.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I didn't ask you.

At any rate, first `undeletable files/folders' was said, then folder. It doesn't matter though, you're not Newhotness.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

1- the ntoskrnl i got from themexp. i went in through safemode and overwrote the file. Restarted and it works fine. I can turn off the comp, restart it, hybernate, standby, no matter what i do the new boot screen always works...then i go to download/install a windows update and it reverts back to the original xp boot screen. The current update it is asking me to dl/install is: KB898461 - something about Package Installer for windows to enable software updates to have smaller download sizes, etc.

I'm thinking there must be a setting that is restored everytime it asks me to boot after the installation of the updates.

2- I tried the F5 after dragging it to the recycling bin...it seems to be gone now, but it generally takes some time for it to come back. When this issue happens its almost as if its a windows proteched file, like when you delete it, it just reappears at a random time. As for the other questions, System Restore is enabled, i don't run and weird programs like Norton Systemworks, or and type of recycling programs. Also, to go with this, why is it that some files i am not able to uncheck read-only, when they are clearly created by me??

thankx alot DJ,

PS: looking forward to you finding a way to getting the music downloads back on your site.

The package installer doesn't even modify any system files (just adds more files to your system, doesn't replace anything) and that's why it doesn't ask you to reboot after installing KB898461. The files from this KB go here: %windir%\System32\PreInstall\WinSE\WXP_%lcid%_v1 and contains the following files:

? Update.exe.ref

? Updspapi.dll.ref

? Spuninst.exe.ref

? Spcustom.dll.ref

? Spmsg.dll.ref

? Spupdsvc.exe.ref

I'm not sure how this relates to NTOSKRNL, but you can either ignore the download by unchecking it and telling Windows Update not to show it again, or stop replacing NTOSKRNL. Start patching it with a better utility: http://www.bootxp.net/

It's not really read-only. All folders get an unremovable 'read only' attribute. According to Microsoft, it allows explorer to determine whether the folder is a regular folder or a system folder [as in a special folder, like My Documents, My Pictures, Fonts, etc]. The files inside can be without 'read only', but the folder will stay that way. This is 'by design'. You are still able to delete and rename the folder normally, despite the 'read only' flag being present.

About the files that come back, that sounds really weird. Let's verify your NTFS journal is accurate:

Start, Run,

FSUTIL DIRTY SET C:

and then reboot. Scandisk will then run and verify NTFS integrity.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bring this up, but i have a few more updates regarding the folder re-appearing. the folder returned on its own, i'm not really sure when, but at some point non-the-less, anyway, today i changed the name of the file to see what would happen, within minutes of doing this the old folder re-appeared on the desktop with the old name. this isn't the first time this has happened to me, its not really emergency related, but it is crazy annoying. hopefully you can help out.

It might be because the file has the read-only attribute.

It can also be that another application is using the file.

Right click on file and select Properties, and check if its read-only. It normally should not be.

Open the task managar and check what processes are running, you might want to close some.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png