Superantispyware update problem

hazelnut

• Moderators

The new version of SAS is 4.15.

If you get a popup that there is a new version of SAS and to click on it to install the latest product update you may not be able to.

You may just get told ( as I did) that you cannot update while scanning, and to close the main screen. I wasn't scanning and of course once you close the main screen you don't get the popup anyway :)

Seems uninstall and reinstall is the best way if you have this problem, some have it, some don't.

New version here

http://www.superantispyware.com/

I use the free version

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I never saw the need for SuperAntiSpyware. A few years ago I tried it after trying Adaware and Spybot and it found nothing. And I tried the newest version 2 days ago and still nothing. He's a clean man.

I started a thread yesterday on the SAS forums about this. If you do the update from the system tray icon it will work. I don't know what changed but something has because I never use the system tray icon for SAS and never had an issue before. The developer of SAS says it's necessary to have the tray icon if you want to update but doesn't say why that is now necessary when it clearly wasn't before.

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Like you Anthony I never had the system tray icon, and never had a problem with updates until today.

Strange isn't it.

Read the developers last reply in my thread. He says "this update requires the GUI to be closed". There must be something specific about this update for that. I will just have to wait and see what happens next time there is a program update.

• Moderators

Well, whether rightly or wrongly, if an app doesn't have a lot of hard to restore settings that would be lost, I have a habit now of always uninstalling old versions first.

Has to be less fraught with risk than the over the top install. Just MHO of course, but it's served me well thus far.

Well, whether rightly or wrongly, if an app doesn't have a lot of hard to restore settings that would be lost, I have a habit now of always uninstalling old versions first.

Has to be less fraught with risk than the over the top install. Just MHO of course, but it's served me well thus far.

I don't think the SAS program updates like the recent one are full installs of a new version over an old version. They are incremental updates I believe. They just add the updates files not the whole program. They update in seconds for me.

• Moderators

I downloaded V 4.15 a couple of days ago via FileHippos Update Checker, and it was a full install, as I removed the old version first.

The only app I have on my pc that I know has an incremental update is MediaCoder, which very sensibly gives you the option of the incremental update, or a fresh full install, and clearly explains that you can do either. That helps.

Either way, I still prefer a fresh install for the small amount of extra time it takes.

I downloaded V 4.15 a couple of days ago via FileHippos Update Checker, and it was a full install, as I removed the old version first.

The only app I have on my pc that I know has an incremental update is MediaCoder, which very sensibly gives you the option of the incremental update, or a fresh full install, and clearly explains that you can do either. That helps.

Either way, I still prefer a fresh install for the small amount of extra time it takes.

Yeah the if you download and install from Filehippo or some site that has the full install of course it's the full program. I meant if you use the updater in the program it installs the files you don't have. You use FireFox and that is exactly how it updates if you use the update feature. You get the incremental update not the full installer. If you go to their site and down load the installer it has to be the full installer and not just an update.