Am I the only one who can't get Opera to work?

DennisD

• Moderators
Give a try to "Firefox". You'll never go back to "Opera". Regards stvh1

I already use Firefox, but your input is still appreciated. This Opera thing is just a longstanding mystery. And we hate mysteries. :)

That's interesting, because whenever I start Opera, both Opera.exe AND Opera.dll run and appear in Process Explorer. When you open Process Explorer, select Find-Find Handle or Dll, and type "Opera" in the find box. See if Opera.dll is running when the Opera browser is running.

You might also check the properties and advanced properties and see what security boxes are checked. Maybe it's a question of administrative rights to the exe file. Have you tried logging in as Administrator and running Opera?

I'm the sole user of this pc with full Administrative rights.

The Opera.dll shows up when I choose the right option.

thumb_4b0f2209.jpg

And I've used RegSeeker to clean out every leftover trace that I can find of past firewalls, Norton and Online Armor.

And guess what? It makes no difference. Opera is actually running fine, it's just that tiny little thing that it's missing..... the Internet.

Are we all out of ideas? I'm sure I am.

Give a try to "Firefox". You'll never go back to "Opera". Regards stvh1

Well I recently switched to Opera as my main browser and love it. Blows the pants off Firefox speed wise and does everything my install of Firefox does without the need for 17 extensions. Firefox is excellent though and I still and always will have it installed and use it.

• Moderators
As for Revo it doesn't find anywhere near the info that Zsoft records during an install. I have checked this on several programs that I have uninstalled with Revo. I check what Revo finds against what Zsoft recorded and there is a big difference. Even when I set Revo to the most aggressive settings it doesn't find nearly all the entries that Zsoft records.

Just out of curiosity, did you include the stuff Revo removes with the programs own uninstaller first?

Just out of curiosity, did you include the stuff Revo removes with the programs own uninstaller first?

Well no because I don't see that part. Lets face it though the built in installers don't remove much if any of the registry stuff.

What I did was look at the Zsoft install log. Than look at the stuff Revo found during the scanner part of it's uninstall process set at the most advanced setting. There were many many reg entries in the Zsoft install log not identified in the Revo scan. I seriously doubt that is because the programs built in installer removed them all. Also after I uninstalled using Revo and let in clean everything it found I cleaned up with Zsoft and it still removed stuff so obviously Revo didn't get it all.

You can easily duplicate this and see for your self. I wouldn't expect Revo to get it all anyways. It doesn't track the install and create a log like Zsoft does.

• Moderators

Programs uninstallers aren't always that good. Even the best leave stuff, I was simply curious in case Revo had a logging system that I'd missed.

It's a shame we can't get the best of both and use them in tandem.

Dennis have you tried going into "Set Program Access and Defaults" - Custom and check to see if Opera is listed in there with a check next to "Enable Access to this Program" or even try setting it as the default browser to see if it makes a difference.

• Moderators
Dennis have you tried going into "Set Program Access and Defaults" - Custom and check to see if Opera is listed in there with a check next to "Enable Access to this Program" or even try setting it as the default browser to see if it makes a difference.

Problem solved 5 minutes ago by the undisputed Queen of the links.

I'm browsing with Opera. Yep, Opera.

Read here:

I installed Opera 9.5 beta 2 portable today on my USB drive and it is working great. It's not listed on the main page for Opera Portable he lists it in his forum. I set it up in 5 min. Just transferred all my settings over from my desktop version and I was done. Even installed the Ospell JS Spell Checker and it works perfect just as it does on my desktop version.

http://my.opera.com/opera-usb/forums/findpost.pl?id=2534993

I noticed that Opera doesn't come with its own Spelling Nazi. Now I have to triple-read my posts before I submit them.

Opera has User Java Script. There is a script for spell checking and it's the best spell checker I have used. It works great. You can also use Aspell with Opera. If you have Aspell installed Opera detects it automatically.

Ospell http://opera.gt500.org/ospell/

Aspell http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

• Moderators
Opera has User Java Script. There is a script for spell checking and it's the best spell checker I have used. It works great. You can also use Aspell with Opera. If you have Aspell installed Opera detects it automatically.

Ospell http://opera.gt500.org/ospell/

Aspell http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

Anthony, you must have read my mind, I need a spell checker. I've pulled so many peoples?legs?over spelling errors, I've got to keep on top of mine. :D

I just installed Aspell and don't see any Spelling Nazi correcting my misspelling. Maybe if I try. goobledyfooble. Hmmmm, nothing. :huh:

It's in the right click menu. "Check Spelling".

You need to install Aspell to the default location and then a dictionary to the default location and Opera will automatically detect it and it will show up in the right click menu.

Oh.

Oh well, too late, I already uninstalled it. I can still rite gud enuf fr pepol 2 undrstnd me. :P

You give up too easily. I have both Aspell and Ospell installed and working perfectly. Couldn't be without a spell checker ;)