To Many Anti-Spyware programs?

Vanguard382

hey it just seems to me that i have to many anti-spyware programs and stuff like that. Here is a list of the programs i have. Please tell me if i need any new ones or should get ride of some. Also here is my registery stuff. :D

Registery:

ERUNT

NT Registry Optimizer

Registry Mechanic

CCleaner

Window Washer 5

pagedfrg

RegSeeker

Anti-Spyware:

a-squared

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal

Microsoft AntiSpyware

Spybot - Search & Destroy

SpywareBlaster

CWShredder

Hijackthis

Anti-Virus/Firewall:

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005.

Thanks inadvanced :D:D

• Moderators

NT Registry Optimizer (NTREGOPT):

May not be totally safe, the reason I say that is because after using it I noticed some special links like those that use a CLSID for the link, I suppose that's what there're using where dead in my "Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" and "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools" and weren't at all easy to fix since System Restore didn't help at all, nor did the backup created by ERUNT. I've since removed NTREGOPT and am using RegCompact.NET.

RegSeeker:

Remember it's a beta versoin, and it acts like beta software in many instances and can be unpredictable from what is listed to what is actually removed from the registry. Unless you have an insanely huge exclude.ini file I don't see it as being all that safe to use, just search the CCleaner forum for RegSeeker and you'll see what I mean. It has the ability to mess up the installation of Windows Media Player, ZoneAlarm TrueVector Service, and it can drop kick MS Office right in the balls, etc., the list goes on and on. I still use it even though I'm critical of it, however I look at the undo file(s) it creates.

• Moderators

Go to Microsoft Update and make sure you have the newest version of .NET installed.

Edit:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Please Note: If you get one of the following error messages when trying to run RegCompact.NET then you need to download and install (or reinstall) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 from Microsoft Download Center, or go to Microsoft Windows Update to get .NET Framework 1.1 installed, or updated if you have the earlier version 1.0.

Program can't initialize 0xc0000135

Unable to Locate DLL - The Dynamic Link Library mscoree.dll could not be found in the specified path

Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location.

i tried the free version... quite a nice program... does a full scan of hard drive and avoids taking shortcuts which can ultimately leave a lot of malwares behind...

--==aGumon==--

oh.. my system cannot startup... and it display a message like what a windows file is corrupted or cannot be found... then something like repair using the operating system disc... cannot remember the sentence... bad experience... :lol:

--==aGumon==--

• Moderators

That's the one thing I don't like about these types of programs, they seriously need a bootable CD that can restore the backups they made without someone having to go through loops, or a dreaded reinstall of everything. It's another reason why I don't use them too often, even though when I used NTREGOPT it did fix my mouse problem.

hey it just seems to me that i have to many anti-spyware programs and stuff like that. Here is a list of the programs i have. Please tell me if i need any new ones or should get ride of some. Also here is my registery stuff. :D

The question is what do you have running resident or active?

Personally I have 3 thrings running: antivirus, firewall, and UPS shutdown software.

I do use various immunize functions and block lists but they do not effect system resources.

You can add IE-Spyad and Ewido (can be used as free on demand scanner) to your list.

That's the one thing I don't like about these types of programs, they seriously need a bootable CD that can restore the backups they made without someone having to go through loops, or a dreaded reinstall of everything. It's another reason why I don't use them too often, even though when I used NTREGOPT it did fix my mouse problem.

i dont dare to defragment my registry hive from that day onwards...

Personally I have 3 thrings running: antivirus, firewall, and UPS shutdown software.

my firewall (ZoneAlarm free) and antivirus (symantec antivirus corp edition) takes up a hell lot of resources...

--==aGumon==--

Try RegCompact.NET, you won't look back.  ;)

RegCompact.NET will actually make backups before it compacts your reigstry.  Something NTREGOPT doesn't do.

Actually, I was thinking about trying PageDefrag instead, but now you guys have got me worried. I don't understand how compacting the registry could cause these problems, but there are many things I don't understand... :blink:

• Moderators
Actually, I was thinking about trying PageDefrag instead, but now you guys have got me worried.

I've never had a problem with PageDefrag. Something of interest after I defrag using the Windows disk defragmenter PageDefrag no longer shows any fragments of the files it can handle, and since I defrag everyday I don't have too much use for it. At least I don't think I do, could be wrong in my assumption.

I don't understand how compacting the registry could cause these problems, but there are many things I don't understand.

Perhaps the registry was in the process of doing something whilst the registry defrag program(s) was processing/compacting the registry. I'm only going to use RegCompact.NET if I run into problems again like when my mouse acting slow, jerky, and plain frustrating to move.