Opera 9.5 has ruined all my other browsers.

Anthony A

I like to mess around with browsers. I have tried so many now I can't keep track and currently have 7 installed. Ever since I installed Opera 9.5 beta 2 I just can't use my other browsers including Firefox. They just plain suck compared to Opera 9.5. The speed of 9.5 is awesome. I don't just mean page loading speed but the overall responsiveness of the browser just puts the others to shame. It's like driving around in a Lambo for a week and than having to go and drive a horse and buggy. That's how I feel when I use my other browsers after using Opera 9.5 :lol: I simply don't use my others anymore. The problem of many sites not working with Opera is just rare now. Very few sites don't work with Opera for me. Also I have to add 17 extensions to FF to get it on par with Opera feature wise but even then Opera leaves FF in the dust speed wise. Can't wait to see how the final release turns out.

I tried Opera about 8 months ago and it was pretty darn good. As far as FF extensions vs Opera go, I can't vouch for that. There are so many different FF extensions that your preferences may be totally different than mine.

Does Opera have features similar to All In Wonder Sidebar, Tab Mix Plus, No Script, Download Statusbar, Back To Top, AdBlock Plus, & IE View Lite?

Opera's a freeware developing company. Do they have a division of extension developers? :mellow:

I tried Opera about 8 months ago and it was pretty darn good. As far as FF extensions vs Opera go, I can't vouch for that. There are so many different FF extensions that your preferences may be totally different than mine.

That is the point. You need all those Firefox extensions to get any kind of advanced features from FF. Opera comes with them built in.

I had to add to Firefox to get Opera features these extensions.

Ad Block Plus

All In One Side Bar

Fire Gestures (mouse gestures extension)

Fast Dial (Speed dial)

Compact Menu2 (hide menu bar and collapse the menu into a button)

Down Them All ( a download manager)

Drag De Go (drag and drop of links and high lighted words)

No squint (zooming)

Split Panel (allows to view two tabs side by side in same window)

Tab Scope (tab thumbnails previews)

Scrap Book ( to get Opera notes functionality)

Smooth Wheel ( FF's built in smooth scroll is not nearly as nice as Opera's)

Tab Mix Plus ( FF's default tab options are very basic so is the session manager)

Auothide (to get total full screen)

There are few others as well. Out of the box there is no comparison between the two.

Does Opera have features similar to All In Wonder Sidebar, Tab Mix Plus, No Script, Download Statusbar, Back To Top, AdBlock Plus, & IE View Lite?

Opera's a freeware developing company. Do they have a division of extension developers? :mellow:

All In One Side Bar extension for Firefox was made to give you the functionality of Opera's side bar. It says so right in the description for it. "Inspired by Opera's". So yes it has that.

Tab Mix Plus. Opera has some decent built in tab options. Not as extensive as TMP for FF but all that I need. I use TMP with FF and I don't miss anything in Opera.

No Script. Built right into Opera. You disable Java Script globally than enable it on a per site basis. Exactly what No Script does for you.

Download Status Bar. Opera has an excellent built in download manager.

Back to top. You have several choices here. There is a custom button you can drag to any tool bar that will do this for you. You can set a mouse gesture which I do or a key board short cut.

Ad Block Plus. Ad blocker built right in. You can add a filter or make them your self.

IE View. There is a plugin that will let you view IE inside Opera. I don't use it because there just are not that many pages that don't work with Opera. If I come across a page that doesn't work Opera 9.5 has an "open in IE or Firefox" option built in to the right click menu and it will launch either browser with that page loaded.

• Moderators

Comparing the adblocker in Opera to adblock plus is like comparing a honda civic to a ferrari.

Sure they will both get you where you want to go but one will get you there a hell of a lot faster. :P

I was really worried about firefox 3. I had been using beta 5 since it came out and had all kinds of problems but RC1 seems to have rectified them so far. (corrupt downloads, loading blank pages, and crashing)

Comparing the adblocker in Opera to adblock plus is like comparing a honda civic to a ferrari.

Sure they will both get you where you want to go but one will get you there a hell of a lot faster. :P

I was really worried about firefox 3. I had been using beta 5 since it came out and had all kinds of problems but RC1 seems to have rectified them so far. (corrupt downloads, loading blank pages, and crashing)

No fair I used a car analogy already :P

If you add a filter to Opera Ad Blocker it works well. http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block I don't get any ads when using one of these filters. Adding items to block is easier in Opera. Right click page and select block content. Than you can click on what you want blocked.

Opera 9.5 beta 2 is AMAZING! I noticed a speed difference from Opera 9.5 beta 1. The history search feature is also helpful. :)

It is I must admit. Even so you will still find people who will look for any excuse to slam it. It doesn't do the dishes or walk my dog or something stupid like that will be their reason not to like it.

Firefox has been my main browser for a few years now but I always liked Opera and had it installed. 9.5 has put it at the top for me now.

I only tried opera for a very short period a couple of years ago and wasnt too much into it. after seeing this thread, i tried it again last night and couldnt believe the speed difference. i will have to play with it a bit to get used to it and see if it is to my liking overall, but i have to admit, it was definately snappy and ill give it a shot.

I only tried opera for a very short period a couple of years ago and wasnt too much into it. after seeing this thread, i tried it again last night and couldnt believe the speed difference. i will have to play with it a bit to get used to it and see if it is to my liking overall, but i have to admit, it was definately snappy and ill give it a shot.

The thing that turns some people off is the depth of customization you can do with Opera. I think it over whelms them. It's unbelievable how much you can tweak it. I have about 30 mouse gestures programmed and almost never touch a tool bar now. There are features like "Fit To Width" that are not available in any other browser or Firefox extension.

Also do your self a favour and visit the custom button site. You can drag these to any tool bar and add even more functionality to Opera or bring already included features into an easy to get at button. http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons

hmmm. doesnt seem to work on my vista 64........does on the vista 32 though....

I'm not sure if it supports 64. I never really thought about it since I don't use it.

Are you using 9.5 Beta 2 or 9.27? The thread is about beta 2 http://www.opera.com/download/?ver=9.50b2

Use the classic installer version. I have always used that rather than the Windows installer version.

Wow, I downloaded & installed the new Opera beta and damn it's fast. :blink: Sure is a lot different than the last time I tried it. Many more options. Some nice skins too. I see what you mean about FF addons being somewhat built into the browser.

One thing I wish I could do like I can in FF and that's squeeze the Navigation bar controls and address bar into that topmost "File" thru "Help" bar, which unfortunately isn't a customizable bar.

Wow, I downloaded & installed the new Opera beta and damn it's fast. :blink: Sure is a lot different than the last time I tried it. Many more options. Some nice skins too. I see what you mean about FF addons being somewhat built into the browser.

One thing I wish I could do like I can in FF and that's squeeze the Navigation bar controls and address bar into that topmost "File" thru "Help" bar, which unfortunately isn't a customizable bar.

You mean like this

27450d69.jpg

The "file through help" you are referring to is the Menu Bar. You can shut that off and have a button with those features in it. Like I do. You can also put it in your right click menu like I did.

99f7d6e8.jpg

c84b927a.jpg

Well, I haven't gotten that far yet. I don't exactly know the ins & outs well enough to remember what is where. What makes things even more confusing is this skin that's outrageously simple and confusing. I love it. :lol:

th_OpTop.jpg

Well, I haven't gotten that far yet. I don't exactly know the ins & outs well enough to remember what is where. What makes things even more confusing is this skin that's outrageously simple and confusing. I love it. :lol:

th_OpTop.jpg

What is all that under the Menu Bar and above the Tab Bar?

Looking at that some more that appears to be your bookmarks bar. I don't use that so I didn't recognize what it was a first :rolleyes:

:lol: Yes, that mess 'o' favicons is my bookmark bar. I find it handy. But I found that "hide Menu" button you mentiopned and now I can access that mess 'o' icons via the Bookmark menu line and also keep the Menu bar hidden.

Witness the power of this fully operational battle station...

OpTop2.jpg

:lol: Yes, that mess 'o' favicons is my bookmark bar. I find it handy. But I found that "hide Menu" button you mentiopned and now I can access that mess 'o' icons via the Bookmark menu line and also keep the Menu bar hidden.

Witness the power of this fully operational battle station...

OpTop2.jpg

One of the first things I do with Opera is set the Tab Bar to only show when you have more than one tab open. If you only have one tab open there is no reason for th bar to be there. I do this with Firefox to.

Right click the tab bar and select customize. Than the customize dialog should open on the Tool Bar tab but if it doesn't select it. Than you will see a "show only when needed" with a check box beside it. Check that and the Tab Bar will hide when only one tab is open.

I know of that feature but I'd rather have the tab bar up even if it's just one tab. I actually like the look of it. Especially with that lone green pear up there.

Okay, so how do you get rid of ads? I looked at the Cookie feature and it just gives you the option of editing or deleting them. Still, that's of no consequence. I need ads blocked.