Tips for the Transition to Digital TV

YoKenny

Tips for the Transition to Digital TV

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Do you need a new antenna for the transition to digital TV?

Here are a few tips:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

If you have cable or satellite TV, you will not need a converter box or antenna.

If you receive over the air TV signals, you will need a converter box. If you are in a strong signal area, an indoor antenna (rabbit ears) will do.

If you are in a weak signal area, you will need an outside antenna.

If you are in a very weak signal area, you may also need a rotor and/or pre-amp

• 3 months later...
Wilmington Verdict Is In

At least, the verdict is in from the perspective of the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC released details today about how prepared viewers in Wilmington, N.C., really were for Monday's switch to digital programming.

Wilmington was the first market in the country to through the digital transition as a trial run so the agency could get a better understanding of how to make the process go smoothly when every other market makes the switch in February.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/...ml?nav=rss_blog

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Oh, and TV stinks.

With all the ad's they show every few minutes that can't be more than true, which is why I use my DVD recorder to record the shows I like so I can skip by all the commercials which I'd think people paying for TV would pay for in droves (so why all the commercials). I mostly use my TV for video games now, and very rarely do I watch something as it's being aired.

Years ago some news channel stated the government was supposedly going to put a limit on the amount of commercials shown, still waiting for that though and wish it would become true however I know that's wishful thinking.

One of my million dollar ideas is a small cheap device that automatically detects when a commercial is on and mutes the audio until the show's back on. It could use several methods to do this including detecting rating information which is not usually sent during ads. It would be configurable and have a USB connection to your computer to download 'rules' for detecting ads. The software for it would be written in some cross platform language for compatibility.

I was also the first to think up ice cubes that were gel contained in plastic, so your drink would never be watered down and it would only need to be rinsed and frozen again.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

• Moderators
One of my million dollar ideas is a small cheap device that automatically detects when a commercial is on and mutes the audio until the show's back on.

There's already devices from the 1990's that would pause a VCR during commercials, the resume it when the show started. Now there's Tivo which I thought about, but I'll be damned if I pay for some device then have to pay a monthly subscription to use it.

Editing out the commercials to encode to Xvid/DivX isn't difficult at all, I use DVD Shrink to do it, then I encode what I want to keep, then finally merge all the separate AVI's with AVI-Mux GUI - but it is rather time consuming editing out the commercials.

• Moderators

There are tons of DVRs around. I have one that came for "free" from direct tv.

It does most of the same stuff tivo does and it doesn't cost a monthly fee apart from the tv bill(but there is no tacked on fee for it.). I dont watch tv too much anyway though but when I do, I deffinitely don't see commercials. :D

• Moderators
There are tons of DVRs around. I have one that came for "free" from direct tv.

DVRs are cool and all, but if I'd use one there'd have to be some sort of support integration with Windows in order for me to keep the programming I want.

When everything goes digital my Sony DVD Recorder just may not work anymore with the signal. :angry:

Some say "To REALLY foul things up requires a computer" but get lawyers and politicians involved and they can do a better job

Lawmakers See Challenges for TV Transition

By Kim Hart

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In the next five months, federal officials preparing Americans for the conversion to digital television have to clear up reception glitches, sort out problems with hooking up converter boxes and find a way to make sure coupons for those converters get to the viewers who need them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Some say "To REALLY foul things up requires a computer" but get lawyers and politicians involved and they can do a better job http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

True. They've had several years though to make the transition as smooth as possible, however when they tested it out in a whole town they had issues. They should've been installing the infrastructure years ago since the law makers made it the law one would think they would've made an attempt at a better much earlier years ago head start.

I got a convertor Labor Day weekend in anticipation of the rush, used my $40 Govt issued coupon card at Walmart. Got a Magnavox pass-through box. After the coupon (which was used just like a gift card), the box cost me $10.

I have a roof mounted antenna with a booster and a directional motor on it.

What a diff the convertor made! My previously poor signal cleaned right up with the 4 primary stations out of Madison Wi (Im about 40 miles sw of there), and I got additional sub channels that Ive never seen before. Looks just like cable!

Im sold. Get some occasional pixelling due to the distance Im from the city, but its far better than what I had before.

To use it, its just like the old cable boxes. I leave my set on channel 3 and change channels on the box using the remote. The install went seamlessly, and the initial power on of the box searched for all channels in the area, just like a TV does when you first power it on.

I got a pass through box (typically an upgrade - read the box to make sure that you have this option) because I still wanted the ability to watch regular channels till they all convert (not all of them in Madison are digital yet). And dont forget: a VCR needs it too if you tape off of reg TV so I connected my VCR after the box in a daisy-chain fashion. It will stay on channel 3 as well, but I cant do channel changing auto-records anymore cause I have to set the box to the channel that Im recording.

So those of you that are waiting, apply for a coupon before they run out of them (dtv.org), and get a convertor asap. Feb is coming and you dont want to be caught without one. I suspect that convertors will be hot items for Christmas....if you can find them. (Walmart said that they get in 20-30 per week and they dissappear as fast as they come in. And i havent seen a big box store that has a web site i.e. Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc. sell them online yet. So if you find them, grab it before someone else does.)

Or get a satellite or cable/phone-digital TV hookup and you wont need a convertor.

Wm Goat aka Will

If its not smokin', it has to be the software!