Shape-shifting malware hits the web

Humpty

Security experts have warned that new developments in malware are allowing criminals to stay one step ahead of security software.

Marc Henauer, head of the cyber-crime division at the Swiss Justice and Police Department, said in an interview last week that viruses and other malware now have the capability to change their signature every few hours.

This means that the attackers are often one step ahead of protection software.

Geoff Sweeney, chief technology officer at Tier-3, a behavioural analysis IT security firm, echoed the remarks.

"Self-changing code designed to dynamically evade recognition is a fact of life," he said. "It automatically adapts to the anti-spam and anti-malware engines that it encounters."

Article

LOL, typical piece of crap written by a reporter who is clueless.

I don't completely get your point, as the technique has been on market for a pretty long time now. Just look at how Storm changes it's appereance automatically.

I don't completely get your point, as the technique has been on market for a pretty long time now. Just look at how Storm changes it's appereance automatically.

You just made my point. This isn't even remotely new. I say the reporter is clueless because of the way he is writing as if this is new. Also I can't tell from the report where he is talking about server-side polymorphism (e.g. your storm worm)or just classic well known polymorphic malware.

It's just gives you the impression "omg, we got intelligent malware that can think and automatically change to avoid security software" lol...