The "Save XP" petition count update

YoKenny

The "Save XP" petition count update

Join the 193,827 people so far (as of 9a PT on May 7) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008,

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archiv...the_save_x.html

I filled in the email information required when I saw the petition in March and have only had one email from them even thought I was worried about being spammed from them.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I love how they have 'unknown country' as an option under 'country'.

It's like "I just woke up in this dirty hotel room, with no recollection of how I got here and no ID...my head's swimming, what happened last night? But wait, that's not the issue now - I gotta get to a computer - Windows XP needs my support!"

lol...no offense to everyone but is this petition actually for real?? :huh:

Yes,it is for real.

It is very important for those who don't have enough PC power to continue without Win XP.

Suffice it to say this includes a major portion of those on the INTERNET.

Join the 200,805 people so far (as of 9a PT on May 15) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

P.S. It is also about individual choice.A mainstay of freedom.

Microsoft is not being a "monster" in this matter.To them it is a business decision.

They have already said that if they see enough public support in the matter then they will continue offering XP.

It is now up to the public.It is up to us ,the current users,to speak up for the future users.

They deserve a choice in this matter.Without our action,they will have no choice.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archiv...the_save_x.html

:) davey

• Moderators

Microsoft needs to do something because not everyone is willing to buy a new PC with the specifications needed just to run Vista (or whatever the hell they come up with after Vista.) They could end up loosing a good chunk of Windows users to rivals, both free and paid!

Join the 200,805 people so far (as of 9a PT on May 15) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

200,000 is a drop in the bucket. That is a fraction of the people using Windows. They will need to get in the tens of millions to get anywhere.

Microsoft needs to do something because not everyone is willing to buy a new PC with the specifications needed just to run Vista (or whatever the hell they come up with after Vista.) They could end up loosing a good chunk of Windows users to rivals, both free and paid!

Like I am going to be doing. Always wanted a Mac and now Microsoft has given me that extra nudge to make the move.

200,000 is a drop in the bucket. That is a fraction of the people using Windows. They will need to get in the tens of millions to get anywhere.

Exactly. Vista sold around 100 million copies in 2007. 200,000 is about...(pulls up sidebar calculator) less than one percent of that o.0.

It is very important for those who don't have enough PC power to continue without Win XP.

Suffice it to say this includes a major portion of those on the INTERNET.

That may have been true two years ago...but in this day and age, RAM is pretty much dirt cheap...such as here, or here, or here.

I'm sorry, but this situation simply feels so much like the one 7 years ago..."Stay with Windows 98!! XP is super slow and vernerable! 256mb of RAM, that's far to much!" :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this situation simply feels so much like the one 7 years ago..."Stay with Windows 98!! XP is super slow and vernerable! 256mb of RAM, that's far to much!" :rolleyes:

Or it could be like the Windows ME situation. We will see.

Or it could be like the Windows ME situation. We will see.

I never had a problem with WinME and I still have one old system that works quite well but then I don't play computer games.

Most computer games at that time relied on Real Mode DOS which WinME does not have.

Wasn't it Bill Gates that said

PC systems will never need more than 640K
or something like that?

Maybe its time for me to delve into the world of Linux so I'll peruse around to see what people are using and recommending.

Another news article

Shortsighted Nostalgia for XP

Windows XP had problems when it was introduced in October 2001, such as weak security and inadequate tools for organizing information. (By Julia Ewan -- The Washington Post)

By Rob Pegoraro

Thursday, May 15, 2008; Page D01

By the strictest definition, Windows XP has been dead since Jan. 30, 2007 -- the day its replacement, Windows Vista, arrived in stores and XP promptly vanished from most new computers.

And yet by other measures, XP appears quite alive.

Vista's issues -- its steep hardware requirements, its strict anti-piracy measures, its sometimes-intrusive security measures, its incompatibility with some older products -- have given XP not only a second life in the market but also a newly vocal and enthusiastic fan base

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I think WinXP is going to be around a while. Dell is saying they are going to keep selling it(last I heard) and MS is still going to allow it on "ultra portable" laptops because they lack the power for vista.