SP3 question.

Anthony A

If SP3 is just a collection of all updates since XP was released why would some one with XP SP2 fully updated want to install SP3? You already have all the updates if you have been updating monthly. Why install them again. Am I missing something here. I admit I haven't read much about it yet because I have no intention of installing it for a long while until I see how many problems it causes. It will be good for reinstalls of windows so you don't have to go through the long process of downloading the 7 million patches from the windows update site but other than that why install it until you reformat?

They added a few features, but nothing major. This post was good too. If you have updated like me, the Microsoft Update won't be big. I looked and it's ~66 MBs.

It will be good for reinstalls of windows so you don't have to go through the long process of downloading the 7 million patches from the windows update site but other than that why install it until you reformat?

That is the other main reason for having SP3.

AJ

They added a few features, but nothing major. This post was good too. If you have updated like me, the Microsoft Update won't be big. I looked and it's ~66 MBs.

That is the other main reason for having SP3.

AJ

If you are reinstalling Windows and you add SP3 it will be much bigger than 66 MB.

I need to read up on how this will all work.

• Moderators
I'm pretty sure they are going to release an .ISO file that includes SP3 for reformatting. It would be nice, because eventually I'm going to reformat this Dell and get it back to new.

AJ

I was initially going to do that too. Then I thought somethings really going to have to get super buggy for me to do that, it just takes far too long to start all over.

In the SP3 help file Microsoft clearly lists this:

That there is typical MS BS. Why would they release a SP that is a culmination of all updates since XP was released and than tell you you need to have SP2 installed already. Is SP2 and SP1 not already in the SP3 update? Wasn't the whole point of SP3 to gather up all the patches into one nice package? There really isn't anything in the SP3 update other than all the other updates.

Yeah but think of all the torture you'll be missing.

I won't be missing anything because I won't install it until I need to reinstall Windows and my Windows CD is a SP2 CD anyways.

I just don't get the point of having this big SP3 with all updates since XP was released than tell people you need SP2 already before you install SP3. Why include all updtes in the SP3 if you already will have many of them after you install SP2. SP3 should have just been all updates released since SP2 was released. I shouldn't be surprised it's Microstupid after all.

Ok. Sorry about the F words, but im so f*ckin frustrated right now. I started to install SP3 through the microsoft update. it installs it for a long time, about to half way (i guess) and then i got a f*ckin ERROR MESSAGE, that SP3 cannot be installed!!! Then it removed the installation and it took for while too!! Finally it says that SP3 is not completely installed and that windows might not work correctly!! Well i rebooted like ordered and im now typing this message. F*CK. it even didn't say why it cannot be installed!! F*CKIN WINDOWS!!!!!!

I dont wanna wanna even try for a second time!!

EDIT: Well it gave error 0x80070005.

Ok. Sorry about the F words, but im so f*ckin frustrated right now. I started to install SP3 through the microsoft update. it installs it for a long time, about to half way (i guess) and then i got a f*ckin ERROR MESSAGE, that SP3 cannot be installed!!! Then it removed the installation and it took for while too!! Finally it says that SP3 is not completely installed and that windows might not work correctly!! Well i rebooted like ordered and im now typing this message. F*CK. it even didn't say why it cannot be installed!! F*CKIN WINDOWS!!!!!!

Why did you install it in the first place? What exactly did it offer you that you needed/wanted?

I still have not received a sensible answer to the question I asked to start this thread.

Click here CeeCee. This is what Microsoft has to say.

I just installed it, and everything seems to be working fine. Might do a defrag just to try and speed things up.

AJ

I've got the same errors you experienced CeeCee. What I did was to reset the entire registry permissions to defaults. This link fixed my installation problems, including YM. I'm not sure if permission is the problem in your case, but it's worth a try.

I don't know. Maybe i go without sp3, atleast for now. I just can't understant why sp3 install can fail to some registry permission issue. Why it can't go over it? It just SO frustrating. I mean it first takes a long time to get there and then it takes a long time to remove the installation. Man i was pissed off last night.

I've got the same errors you experienced CeeCee. What I did was to reset the entire registry permissions to defaults. This link fixed my installation problems, including YM. I'm not sure if permission is the problem in your case, but it's worth a try.

That fix was what I needed to permit install and update of Windows Media Player 11 on my XP Pro system.

SP3 working well here and the system seems a bit more perky but I did a defrag after the installation as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't know. Maybe i go without sp3, atleast for now. I just can't understant why sp3 install can fail to some registry permission issue. Why it can't go over it? It just SO frustrating. I mean it first takes a long time to get there and then it takes a long time to remove the installation. Man i was pissed off last night.

That's what Microsoft brings to your life :lol: What else would you do if you weren't spending most of your time fixing the damage they do to your machines ;)

I don't get why people feel the need to get new apps/updates as soon as they are available if your machines are running fine already. Let everybody else put up with the conflicts and bugs. Let the fixes come out and the solutions get posted than when you update it should be relatively painless. Maybe people enjoy torture or something :huh:

Here is an example of what I would like to avoid. Not a happy camper is he :o