CCleaner behaviour

I just installed CCleaner on my portable running on Win 98 SE.

I run 'analyse', it goes through the motions - but the resulting screen is devoid of any items. I find this highly suspect. I have not cleaned up my pc recently,

I usually only empty the recycle bin, but little else.

(The same program, installed on my desktop Win XP Pro, came up with tons of cookies etc, despite te fact that the desktop is only a month old)

Something fishy with my installation of CCleaner on Win 98.

Any pointers as to what I should try to establish what is wrong?

(I have tried uninstall / re-install. I am using the latest CCleaner v1.20.118)

Vartkes

• Moderators

You would be surprised man, I have seen CCleaner clean over 650MB on my roommates PC and others have seen 1GB-2GB. I will also say this, it's Windows 98. It has alot of junk in it just from installing it on a hard drive.

I have never heard of CCleaner ever crashing a computer from cleaning. It's recommended by top tech sites and was even on a UK TV tech show (highly rated show in UK).

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

You would be surprised man, I have seen CCleaner clean over 650MB on my roommates PC and others have seen 1GB-2GB. I will also say this, it's Windows 98. It has alot of junk in it just from installing it on a hard drive.

I have never heard of CCleaner ever crashing a computer from cleaning. It's recommended by top tech sites and was even on a UK TV tech show (highly rated show in UK).

Stab in the dark: Could it be that Windows is installed on a drive other than C: ?

also, go to start, run... and type COMMAND and hit enter. Then type:

echo %windir%

echo %temp%

and tell us what that spits out.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Er... do I *need* the latest Visual Basic 6 for CCleaner to

run correctly? (Why is this not one of the stated system requirements?)

I do not want to install any software just on spec.

Regards

Vartkes

• Moderators

Well, if you don't have the latest version, you will run into problems down the road. As, most programs are written in Visual Basic.

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Er... do I *need* the latest Visual Basic 6 for CCleaner to

run correctly? (Why is this not one of the stated system requirements?)

I do not want to install any software just on spec.

Regards

Vartkes

It's recommended but not required. CCleaner distributes the needed files with the install; however getting the VB6 SP6 runtimes can help as there are often numerous fixes and some bad install programs will overwrite SP6 files with files less than SP6.

Again I'll ask.

Are you sure it reads as C:/WINDOWS or does it read as C:\Windows

It's recommended but not required.  CCleaner distributes the needed files with the install; however getting the VB6 SP6 runtimes can help as there are often numerous fixes and some bad install programs will overwrite SP6 files with files less than SP6.

Again I'll ask.

Are you sure it reads as C:/WINDOWS or does it read as C:\Windows

You're right ... it reads C:\Windows (sloppy typing)

• Moderators
OK, whatever. I have now uninstalled CCleaner. I'll wait until there

is a more reliable version released.

WTF?

If you install the VB6 SP6 runtime like already suggested it may actually fix the problem. And like already stated many programs require it, it's a Microsoft distribution, if CCleaner isn't working because of it you'll eventually run into some other program(s) that require it.

Actually, this problem seems to be happening to several people who are running operating systems prior to Win2k (WinMe/98, etc), and it's not related to the run-times... something in CCleaner internally has changed. MrG will need to do some 9x testing I'm sure. PM MrG and ask what you need to do in order to assist on stomping out this buggie.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

It works fine on my Win98 system, however what DjLizard stated has me thinking that perhaps some other software, or driver could be conflicting, e.g.; antivirus, antispyware, firewall, something else. It'll take Mr.G to figure it out.

WTF?

If you install the VB6 SP6 runtime like already suggested it may actually fix the problem. And like already stated many programs require it, it's a Microsoft distribution, if CCleaner isn't working because of it you'll eventually run into some other program(s) that require it.

OK. Just this once ;) . I installed the VB6 update, and the problem is solved - for me at least. However, this does mean that the needed files distributed with CCleaner are failing to install / override outdated versions (?).

Thanks.

• Moderators
OK. Just this once  ;) . I installed the VB6 update, and the problem is solved - for me at least. However, this does mean that the needed files distributed with CCleaner are failing to install / override outdated versions (?).

Thanks.

No, it just means that your Windows didn't have some updated system files required for programs.

• 2 weeks later...