FREE UP MEMORY (RAM)

Tom AZ

Is there any little utility that can be used to free up RAM on demand? I know that Windows is supposed to manage it, but on occasion, it would be nice to be able to manually free up/clean up a little of what's not currently in use.

HI Tom

I suggest you read the attachment bellow, before you optimize .

Good luck. Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

The one tweak it has 'disable NTFS last access time' does work, but how useful it is I don't know and it may be some minimal improvement that isn't even noticed. I can verify that it does make that modification successfully because JkDefrag mentions something about it being disabled.

The only reason you want to use this option for is if you are using a disk defrag program like JkDefrag

and you want to sort on date last accessed. This is because some anti-malware programs are still causing date last accessed to be updated every time you run a scan.Some vendors have fixed this problem and some have not.

In other defrag programs that use similar practices to Windows optimizing disk strategy this option is detrimental.

You definitely don't want to "disable NTFS last access time" or other so called tweaks if you are using Windows Disk Defragmenter.This includes turning off Indexing service, or turning off "index this disk for fast file searching".These all make certain Windows features not function properly for average users of Windows XP and Vista.

If you use TweakUI you also don't want to uncheck Optimize hard disk when idle.

If you are constantly using JkDefrag then the benefits of Windows optimizing strategies is negated.

If you use JkDefrag sorting and defrag features infrequently then you do not need to disable any of these features.

I think JkDefrag is an excellent defrag and optimizing program but only for specific users.

Average users are better served by Windows Disk Defragmenter and Windows optimizing strategies.

They should not disable many things that they are told to disable by well-intentioned but insufficiently informed advisers.

:) davey

Edited by davey

I just tried out MemInfo and it's been pretty useful so far. It even sometimes frees more memory than RamDefrag Extreme.

Does/can a memory defragger actually free memory -- or does it literally just defragment it?

The only reason you want to use this option for is if you are using a disk defrag program like JkDefrag

and you want to sort on date last accessed. This is because some anti-malware programs are still causing date last accessed to be updated every time you run a scan.Some vendors have fixed this problem and some have not.

In other defrag programs that use similar practices to Windows optimizing disk strategy this option is detrimental.

You definitely don't want to "disable NTFS last access time" or other so called tweaks if you are using Windows Disk Defragmenter.This includes turning off Indexing service, or turning off "index this disk for fast file searching".These all make certain Windows features not function properly for average users of Windows XP and Vista.

If you use TweakUI you also don't want to uncheck Optimize hard disk when idle.

If you are constantly using JkDefrag then the benefits of Windows optimizing strategies is negated.

If you use JkDefrag sorting and defrag features infrequently then you do not need to disable any of these features.

I think JkDefrag is an excellent defrag and optimizing program but on for specific users.

Average users are better served by Windows Disk Defragmenter and Windows optimizing strategies.

They should not disable many things that they are told to disable by well-intentioned but insufficiently informed advisers.

Microsoft say it ok to turn off Indexing only need in a office,yes dont turn off Optimize hard disk when idle that bad I did not know that you can do this,so only need Indexing for JkDfrag? is that right.

---------------------------------------------------

davey & YoKenny Thank for that you right with that & I not going to get the spyware most looks like spyware to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.bestvistadownloads.com/download/t-free-tweakram-download-obxvgqmk.html * ?? ? ?? *

TweakRAM download - TweakRAM is a Advanced RAM optimization tool ...

http://www.domainsdb.net/whois/BESTVISTADOWNLOADS.COM

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...=en&ie=UTF8

This page was automatically translated from Russian. Back to TranslateView original web page or mouse over text to view

original language. Remove frame

http://www.domainsdb.net/whois/BESTVISTADOWNLOADS.COM

Внимание ! Attention! На сервере с базой доменов произошел сбой raid-массива в результате которого базы были утеряны. On the

server with a base of domains has failed raid-array base as a result of which were lost.

Работа сайта возобновится при первой же возможности. Site work will resume as soon as possible.

Спасибо за понимание Thank you for your understanding

english English

that is the info & it not look to Good to me bug stop the full check so you can get to the site may be just as well.

:o:o:o:o

Microsoft say it ok to turn off Indexing only need in a office,yes dont turn off Optimize hard disk when idle that bad I did not know that you can do this,so only need Indexing for JkDfrag? is that right.

Hi Hot Doggie my friend,

Turning off Indexing slows things down if you use Windows search and also some other software that takes advantage of the presence of the Index.

JkDefrag advises turning off Indexing if you are using the screen saver option as it is constantly moving things around.

Initially, when you turn Indexing back on you will notice a slow down in your daily work as it rebuilds an index file.So I would recommend turning it back on at the end of your normal activity and let it rebuild while you are not using the PC.

After this you will hardly notice it running in the background.But if you are defragging on a daily basis with JkDefrag as many "specialized" users do then it is to their advantage to turn off Indexing.

Most average users are slowing their daily work by doing Cleaning and Defragging too frequently.

It is actually a waste of time.Everytime you do heavy cleaning and constant defragging the performance benefits decrease.

CCleaner is an excellent product for increasing the performance of "junked up" PCs.It certainly is not necessary to be run several times a day or even everyday.I have learned too increase the size allocated to Internet Temporary Files and also the number of days to keep History.I don't clean the history or index.dat files or my Applications files eveytime I use CCleaner.

This does not hold true for those "worried" about security.They have to balance the need for performance versus security.I like to keep History longer than some because it allows me to keep track of the good or bad practices of other users of this PC.I don't worry about some adware keeping track of how many times I click on "chicken wings" or anything else.Besides I use SpywareBlaster and that keeps most adware at bay.

Regarding Defraggler,I think it is now somewhere between Windows Disk Defragmenter(WDD) and the ultimate specialized defrag programs.It seems to me that at one time Defraggler reported that everyting was defragged but when you Analyzed using WDD it showed that some files were still defragmented.

That was because Defraggler was ignoring those files as does WDD when it comes to certain files that are a waste of time defragging.Who needs System Restore files and user temporary settings files defragmented? No one does because it is a waste af time.This is why WDD does not even bother moving such files to the outside of the disk.It will if it is necessary but only if there is little space to work with when defragging large files.Some people want to defrag eveything on their disk.What is the advantage of defragging music and movies and such?WDD and other defrag programs ignore them knowing that you don't need to move everything around to get get a very,very,very small increase in speed.This is as Andavari points out about Disable NTFS last access date.

As I have said before most users are better off using WDD and only defragging when it says it is needed.They don't have to worry about updates or new "bugs" or any of the other problems with other defrag programs.Plus they don't negate the benefits of the built in optimization strategies of Windows XP and Vista.All they have to to do is leave Prefetch files alone and leave the Indexing sevice alone and Windows will do its thing.It is also necessary to leave the PC on if they never allow any idle PC time.This is when there has been no mouse or keyboard activity for 90 % of the time in the last 15 mins.Some users don't leave their PC that idle at all.

A perfect example of this is that Windows optimization recently moved my MFT and dropped it comfortably in the middle of my programs and data files.It did this when I allowed it enough idle time.

It slow down you P.C SiteAdvisor & Linkscaner not like?

hxxp://wxw.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brotherso...t_type=FF&a

ff_id=0

http://www.explabs.com/

180search Assistant (Mood-Avatars-Setup.exe)

FOUND: 180solutions

1clickdvdcopyprosetuprn.exe

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus, Generic!atr trojan, W32/MumaWow virus

2 Find MP3 Powered by AdVantage (2_Find_MP3_20089.exe)

FOUND: Comscore/Marketscore, MeMedia

------------------------------------------------

PS nill for free most take out of ram & put in Page File that be slower?

2M Free Solitaires (2mfreesolwe.exe)

FOUND: Adware-RBlast.dldr, Generic Downloader.q trojan, Spyware-WebHancer

add ons

3D Sea Lighthouses Screensaver (sealighthouses.exe) changes home page add ons

4DiskcleanG (4DiskcleanFreeware.exe)

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus

7art Tender Autumn ScreenSaver v.1.1 (TAtumnInst.exe)

FOUND: NavExcel

add ons

7VoltmeterClockInst.exe

FOUND: WhenU

a-squared HiJackFree (a2HiJackFreeSetup.exe)

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus, Generic!atr trojan, W32/MumaWow virus

Action Girls I (SexyVideoScreenSaver.exe)

FOUND: Vundo.dll

stay a way very bad :(:(

Thanks Hot Dog,

All PC users are advised to stay away from Brothersoft and it's many related websites.

If you don't, the chances of you getting infected go up greatly.

You can go there to get an idea of what such sites look like.The others are very much the same.

DON'T CLICK ON ANYTHING !!!

HOT DOG s link to McAfee siteadviser shows it all.Please see this report.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brotherso...t_type=FF&a

HI Tom

I suggest you read the attachment bellow, before you optimize .

Good luck. Eli

Hi Eli,

This is very useful for those who do have some leaky software and only at specific times.

I don't use it to defrag that often. but sometimes some programs refuse or were poorly written

and won't release needed space.

Sometimes I can't afford to wait 15 min for the software to automatically clear out while it slows down the applications I need to use ,NOW.

Yes , they are no magic pill as some people are led to believe but it is beneficial to those who need it.

MemInfo helps me monitor what is going on more than it's defrag function.

Your report is most revealing to those who think it does some magical function.

Hi Hot Doggie my friend,

Turning off Indexing slows things down if you use Windows search and also some other software that takes advantage of the presence of the Index.

I don't find Windows Search slows down much.

I did a search on jpg files and it found 1399 objects in less than 5 seconds.

CCleaner is an excellent product for increasing the performance of "junked up" PCs.It certainly is not necessary to be run several times a day or even everyday.I have learned too increase the size allocated to Internet Temporary Files and also the number of days to keep History.I don't clean the history or index.dat files or my Applications files eveytime I use CCleaner.
I agree but I keep my Temporary Internet Files storage at 100MB and I have Andavari's CCleaner_Auto_Shutdown.zip that I run when I leave my system for an extended period of time:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgcyk1tli4x

As I have said before most users are better off using WDD and only defragging when it says it is needed.They don't have to worry about updates or new "bugs" or any of the other problems with other defrag programs.Plus they don't negate the benefits of the built in optimization strategies of Windows XP and Vista.All they have to to do is leave Prefetch files alone and leave the Indexing sevice alone and Windows will do its thing.It is also necessary to leave the PC on if they never allow any idle PC time.This is when there has been no mouse or keyboard activity for 90 % of the time in the last 15 mins.Some users don't leave their PC that idle at all.

A perfect example of this is that Windows optimization recently moved my MFT and dropped it comfortably in the middle of my programs and data files.It did this when I allowed it enough idle time.

That is good advice.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hello Davey,

I tried out Mem Info and so far it's been working great! It kind of returns leaked memory too.

Icedrake

Hey Icedrake,

I think you may be more aware of some programs that are leaky than I am.

I think I would describe it more like Pac Man gobbling up chunks of memory.

In my case Meminfo gives me back more physical memory than I expected and it is not a temporary thing.At times I have watched the defrag cause some programs go to 0 KB and quit.

Of course ,I do this only when the monitor turns red and stays there for quite awhile and I don't want to wait for memory to clear itself over time.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...ation-hoax.html

January 2004

The Memory-Optimization Hoax

RAM optimizers make false promises

From the January 2004 Edition

of Windows IT Pro

Mark Russinovich

Internals

InstantDoc #41095

Windows IT Pro

I agree with your comments on the Memory Management process.

What I recommend to enhance your Windows experience is to de-activate any useless "Startup program" or "Service".

Good links to find more on these points are:

== 12 Tweaks for performance (+ help to disable services)

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

== Utility to disable Startup Applications

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

== List of Startup Applications

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

And, if you need a RAM Optimizer (because you run Windows 95/98/ME), you can use this little one.

It has a very small memory footprint.

http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/

Hello Davey,

I tried out Mem Info and so far it's been working great! It kind of returns leaked memory too.

Icedrake

Hi Icedrake,

Just a little followup to clarify something.

I initially used the words "leaky programs" and said MemInfo gets rid of them.

That is not the case. I should have said that MemInfo helps me be aware of these types of programs still sitting in memory and slowly or quickly eating up real memory and virtual memory also.

Then I can use Task Manager to End Process on the errant program.

MemInfo defragment does help get programs to release memory that they are not using.

I also find that it helps to reboot at least once a day to get things back into shape.

You're right Davey but some memory hogging programs are windows componets, like explorer.exe. It's not exactly good to quit those types of programs, and one more thing, my explorer process sometimes takes up over 60+ mb memory. I've never seen it do this before...

I like SystemExplorer

Major Features:

• Detailed informations about Tasks, Processes, Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services, Drivers, Connections and Opened Files
  • Easy check of suspicious files via VirusTotal service
  • Easy search details about file/process via online databases
  • Easy access to System Utilities
  • Performance graphs for monitoring usage of system resources in time
  • Action History for monitoring processes activities
  • Making of System Snapshots for easy finding of system changes
  • Multiple language support (English, Espanol, Deutsch, Portuguese, Japanese)

Requirements:

Licensing:

SystemExplorer is FREE for personal and commercial use!

http://systemexplorer.mistergroup.org

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

You're right Davey but some memory hogging programs are windows componets, like explorer.exe. It's not exactly good to quit those types of programs, and one more thing, my explorer process sometimes takes up over 60+ mb memory. I've never seen it do this before...

I think a lot of it has to with the fact that now that you have that little monitor sitting there,you can't help but pay attention.With only 256 Mb of RAM I was constantly using task manager to monitor things.Now I don't even think about it until the red color change in the Icon lets me know I am above 90%.If it stays there,then I start checking out what is happening.

I forgot to mention that I use Humpty's method to bring down explorer.exe. memory usage.

See this link. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=101777

It works for me.

It's working for me too now. Explorer was using 30+mb memory a few min ago and when I tried Humpty's method, mem usage went down to less than 6 mb! :)

Yeah comes in handy when for some reason it and its related svchost.exe both climb way up there over 134MB one time.

P.S. Also prefer your new avatar.