FREE UP MEMORY (RAM)

Tom AZ

Is there any little utility that can be used to free up RAM on demand? I know that Windows is supposed to manage it, but on occasion, it would be nice to be able to manually free up/clean up a little of what's not currently in use.

I use that program too! I gained 200+ MB MEM from it. I have a 448 MB Memory so every bit counts. I had 74 MB memory left and after I defragged, my memory went to 200+! :) Great little tool!

Just a little notice, but right after you defrag, your computer might seem ultra slow, but that will go away after a few seconds. ;)

http://www.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html

This is a great app. It doesn't make your page file greater, it literally returns leaked RAM. I have been using it for several weeks now!

Sounds interesting -- I'll give it a try. By the way, is this a memory resident program or can you just use it when you need it?

http://www.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html

This is a great app. It doesn't make your page file greater, it literally returns leaked RAM. I have been using it for several weeks now!

WinXP and Vista already have good memory management function but if you are still running Win95/98/SE/ME then that's a different story.

brothersoft.com is in China that's one of the most prolific places of trojans, worms and malware.

I'd rather endure a root canal than install any of their software.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It's not from Brothersoft; it's from a different company. But slowday444 gave the download link in Brothersoft. Here's a safer link if you want: Clicky!

Oh and never download anything from Brothersoft. They're full of spyware, viruses and everything you can think of.

It's not from Brothersoft; it's from a different company. But slowday444 gave the download link in Brothersoft. Here's a safer link if you want: Clicky!

Oh and never download anything from Brothersoft. They're full of spyware, viruses and everything you can think of.

ALL NEW PC USERS ARE WARNED !!!

Yes,stay away from any software not available from the authors website.Check out the site and check with the forum.You will save yourself a lot of time because the forum members know what is good and what isn't.

The following site has MemInfo plus other handy free products.Even for finding Favorites.

I have been using MemInfo for 5 months.Very handy for my 256 MB RAM PC.

http://www.carthagosoft.net Authors website

Best Wishes,

:) davey

ALL NEW PC USERS ARE WARNED !!!

Yes,stay away from any software not available from the authors website.Check out the site and check with the forum.You will save yourself a lot of time because the forum members know what is good and what isn't.

The following site has MemInfo plus other handy free products.Even for finding Favorites.

I have been using MemInfo for 5 months.Very handy for my 256 MB RAM PC.

http://www.carthagosoft.net Authors website

Best Wishes,

Freeram XP pro has served me well. Its outdated and for xp, but its quite nice.

www.yourwaresolutions.com

• Moderators

Those RAM "optimizer" programs are no replacement for actually having more RAM, i.e.; buy more RAM! I've used RAM "optimizers" in my Win98 days and I don't really think they do anything other than using the memory you're wanting to recover.

If the issue is from buggy programs that leak memory, a reboot will resolve it.

• Moderators

If you happen to still have avg antispy, just right-click on taskbar icon and choose scan memory, scans and frees up the memory at the same time, only takes a minute or so.

Look in taskmanager before you do it, and then after to see the difference.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you happen to still have avg antispy, just right-click on taskbar icon and choose scan memory, scans and frees up the memory at the same time, only takes a minute or so.

Look in taskmanager before you do it, and then after to see the difference.

This is so true! I've been reporting this on several forums for a couple of years. The thing is we are losing it by the end of the year. My subscription goes to December. That is why I wanted to find something else and this RAM Defrag does that. It's different from those optimizing progs that I think just increase the size of the page file.

This is so true! I've been reporting this on several forums for a couple of years. The thing is we are losing it by the end of the year. My subscription goes to December. That is why I wanted to find something else and this RAM Defrag does that. It's different from those optimizing progs that I think just increase the size of the page file.

Check out MemInfo also. It can load at startup which I do.It sits there in the tray showing usage then you can expand it with your tooltip open Taskmanager from it and watch Defragging as it happens 10-15 seconds.Options for font,colors,changes colors or ballon on high usage and others I haven't even used yet.You can exit.Start from Desktop,startup menue or all programs.Measure page file and/or physical memory or free memory,actual or percentages etc.

http://www.carthagosoft.net/meminfo.htm MemInfo

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003/Vista

compatible with Windows XP/Vista 64 bits edition

Some features are not available on Windows NT and Windows 2000

• Moderators

I think Davey that Slowday and I are just really glad that we both have an 'already installed' program that is able to do this.

Not enough people really know about the fact that you can use it like this.

Slightly off topic, it also has a file shredder built in with a paranoid mode setting!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Check out MemInfo also. It can load at startup which I do.It sits there in the tray showing usage then you can expand it with your tooltip open Taskmanager from it and watch Defragging as it happens 10-15 seconds.Options for font,colors,changes colors or ballon on high usage and others I haven't even used yet.You can exit.Start from Desktop,startup menue or all programs.Measure page file and/or physical memory or free memory,actual or percentages etc.

http://www.carthagosoft.net/meminfo.htm MemInfo

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003/Vista

compatible with Windows XP/Vista 64 bits edition

Some features are not available on Windows NT and Windows 2000

Well I'll be! I've been using it for a couple of years, that is how I discovered what AVG Anti-Spyware memory scans were doing because I keep the little monitor active in the notification area. I just right clicked it and I see the Defrag option. I'll try it and maybe uninstall RAM Defrag. hazelnut, although it's overkill I have AVG run the two minute (more or less) mem scan at 6:00am, 2:00pm and 10:00pm. Really, the only times my MemInfo shows greater that 50% usage of my 1gig has been after Spy Sweeper (it's gone now) and Spyware Doctor (just have the starter edition) scans.

Also, I installed RAM Defrag on my notebook, not knowing about the MemInfo feature which I already had, but it didn't have any effect. I wasn't sure if it was because it doesn't list Vista OS or because Vista does something to RAM itself. Next time I fire it up I'll try MemInfo defragmentor.

• Moderators

"Maybe it's flushing whatever is resident in memory out after it's been scanned," however when it was still in existence it had the opposite effect on my PC and made it run funny afterwards hence I would only download and use it once in a while then remove it after getting an all clean report. Old versions of Lavasoft Ad-Aware (new versions need not apply) did do something to the RAM as the system would always run a little smoother.

Surprisingly after I used Recuva the other day to securely delete files my system was running so smooth it seemed better than new, and it's still running like that. :huh::D

Ok guys, here is a little app that I made for checking available memory while different apps are running. It will always run on top of all other apps so you can see whats happening. It won't tell you what is using the most memory you will have to use Task Manager for that.

Its made with Visual Basic 6.0 so if you don't have Msvbvm60.dll in your Windows\System or Windows\System32 folder then you can download the basic runtime files here. ;)

Edit: I've made a little mod to Memory Checker. Before it would show the total bytes of memory e.g 130,468MB I've rounded this of to 130 MB and added Memory Free on another line. ;)

Memory_Checker.zip

Memory_Checker.zip

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I've downloaded that Keith. Sounds worth a look, thanks.

Just out of interest, I'm wondering if this feature in TweakNow_WinSecret, has a similar beneficial effect on the use of memory.

t863_WinSecret.jpg

Make windows unload .dll files from memory when all applications using them have been closed.

Dunno how much that would free up at any one time, but sounds like it could be an increase in efficiency.

I think Davey that Slowday and I are just really glad that we both have an 'already installed' program that is able to do this.

Not enough people really know about the fact that you can use it like this.

Slightly off topic, it also has a file shredder built in with a paranoid mode setting!

I have had MemInfo since before I had AVG FREE.The first thing I saw in Tools was that when I got AVG Free.

It is handy for those who never had it in their tray.I am glad also but what is going to happen to AVG 7.5 Free ?

There are going to be users looking for RAM defraggers.

MemInfo fills that function and Monitors memory.

Surprisingly after I used Recuva the other day to securely delete files my system was running so smooth it seemed better than new, and it's still running like that. :huh::D

Yes!!!

PC lovers all over the world are experiencing the wonderful system smoothing effects

of Piriforms(new formula) RECUVA.

Not Sold In Stores.

Hurry!!!

Due to high demand quantities may be limited.

This offer not available in some locations.

Just out of interest, I'm wondering if this feature in TweakNow_WinSecret, has a similar beneficial effect on the use of memory.

t863_WinSecret.jpg

Make windows unload .dll files from memory when all applications using them have been closed.

Dunno how much that would free up at any one time, but sounds like it could be an increase in efficiency.

Hey Dennis,

After using WinSecret and reviewing all of those options, it is true many of these options are related to myths or old OS practices.Trouble is most of the options are more detrimental than beneficial to all

OS.A few options are beneficial to some OS.Unload .dll files is beneficial to OS prior to 2000.It has no effect on 2000 and later.

I thought you might have picked up on this link when I first posted it for Eli.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html I like this whole site so far (comcast).

One of the options in your snapshot is detrimental to most average users PCs. Fill it in later.

I posted this quirk a fair while ago.

Open Taskmanager and note Explorer's mem usage.

Open My Computer or My Documents and minimize to tray and watch explorer dump a lot of it's memory.

Note Taskmanager's mem usage and minimize then bring it back up and it shows Taskmanager using less than half the memory.

Is it actually dumping memory?

Don't really know. :unsure:

• Moderators

That unload .DLL files from memory worked back in the Win9x era, however it also could have the tendency to cause programs that never seemingly crash to all of a sudden become unstable. There's so many virtual memory myth-tweaks around I don't bother with them any more.

The one tweak it has 'disable NTFS last access time' does work, but how useful it is I don't know and it may be some minimal improvement that isn't even noticed. I can verify that it does make that modification successfully because JkDefrag mentions something about it being disabled.

It slow down you P.C SiteAdvisor & Linkscaner not like?

hxxp://wxw.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brotherso...t_type=FF&a

ff_id=0

http://www.explabs.com/

180search Assistant (Mood-Avatars-Setup.exe)

FOUND: 180solutions

1clickdvdcopyprosetuprn.exe

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus, Generic!atr trojan, W32/MumaWow virus

2 Find MP3 Powered by AdVantage (2_Find_MP3_20089.exe)

FOUND: Comscore/Marketscore, MeMedia

------------------------------------------------

PS nill for free most take out of ram & put in Page File that be slower?

2M Free Solitaires (2mfreesolwe.exe)

FOUND: Adware-RBlast.dldr, Generic Downloader.q trojan, Spyware-WebHancer

add ons

3D Sea Lighthouses Screensaver (sealighthouses.exe) changes home page add ons

4DiskcleanG (4DiskcleanFreeware.exe)

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus

7art Tender Autumn ScreenSaver v.1.1 (TAtumnInst.exe)

FOUND: NavExcel

add ons

7VoltmeterClockInst.exe

FOUND: WhenU

a-squared HiJackFree (a2HiJackFreeSetup.exe)

FOUND: W32/Cekar virus, Generic!atr trojan, W32/MumaWow virus

Action Girls I (SexyVideoScreenSaver.exe)

FOUND: Vundo.dll

stay a way very bad :(:(

That unload .DLL files from memory worked back in the Win9x era, however it also could have the tendency to cause programs that never seemingly crash to all of a sudden become unstable. There's so many virtual memory myth-tweaks around I don't bother with them any more.

The one tweak it has 'disable NTFS last access time' does work, but how useful it is I don't know and it may be some minimal improvement that isn't even noticed. I can verify that it does make that modification successfully because JkDefrag mentions something about it being disabled.

disable NTFS last time you don't need,allso index this disk for fast file searching,not work turn off at disk,then stop in services,Creation of short file names is disabled with RegScrubXP,if you not on a network with windows like 95, 3.1 :rolleyes:

==================================================

= =

* Giveawayofthe to day only http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Giveaway of the Day - TweakRAM 6.2

System Requirements: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 and Vista