Broadband Modem

craigathus

I have a Siemens 4200 SpeedStream ADSL Modem that seems to have a hardware firewall?

If I connect to the modems website & login, I have access to a setup page with options including (firewall) settings.

I'm a bit confused because I thought that only (routers or modem-routers that more than 1 PC could be connected to) had hardware firewalls?

Anyway by default the firewall is set to off.

If I decide to use it, should I disable windows firewall? or should I just keep both switched on?

I have a Siemens 4200 SpeedStream ADSL Modem that seems to have a hardware firewall?

If I connect to the modems website & login, I have access to a setup page with options including (firewall) settings.

I'm a bit confused because I thought that only (routers or modem-routers that more than 1 PC could be connected to) had hardware firewalls?

Anyway by default the firewall is set to off.

If I decide to use it, should I disable windows firewall? or should I just keep both switched on?

Hi Craig,

Do you want Security Center giving you a balloon pop-up all the time.Or do you have that turned off?

I wouldn't turn off either unless absolutely necessary.

:) davey

I would guess that turning on your modem's firewall would protect the modem itself. If you aren't sure, maybe you should call up your ISP and ask them about it.

From what I understand, if you have two or more firewalls turned on it they can conflict one another and cause problems. Based on this, you should probably either use Windows Firewall or the Modem's firewall (although there's no guarantee the modem's firewall will protect your PC) not both at the same time.

My ISP supplies a SpeedStream 6520 DSL modem with built in firewall and it works great.

So nasty stuff gets stopped at DSL modem.

Windows firewall stops further nasty stuff from entering system.

Some un-solicited outbound stuff gets stopped by Windows firewall.

All other software firewalls really slow down browsers.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I would guess that turning on your modem's firewall would protect the modem itself. If you aren't sure, maybe you should call up your ISP and ask them about it.

From what I understand, if you have two or more firewalls turned on it they can conflict one another and cause problems. Based on this, you should probably either use Windows Firewall or the Modem's firewall (although there's no guarantee the modem's firewall will protect your PC) not both at the same time.

I dont think that a software and hardware firewall will conflict. I have a hardware firewall and just use the windows software firewall on both my computers with zero conflict.

Thanks for the helpful info guys ;)

This modem is being replaced with a new one by my ISP because of a faulty on-off power switch.1%20(47).gif

So when I get my replacement modem I'll investigate the firewall features and options that are available.

Thanks for the helpful info guys ;)

This modem is being replaced with a new one by my ISP because of a faulty on-off power switch.1%20(47).gif

So when I get my replacement modem I'll investigate the firewall features and options that are available.

If it will help, you can use these instructions to set up the NAT. I use it on my 4100 and it works like a champ.

If it will help, you can use these instructions to set up the NAT. I use it on my 4100 and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the link mfenech ;) , however I don't have any need to do that.

I have been told that when I get my new replacement modem, I will have to run the ISP install CD that they will send with it.

I'm just hoping that it's a straightforward procedure with no hiccups.