Returnil Premium Edition on Give away of the day

hazelnut

Yes it on work good so far Hope it stop spyware so on. :rolleyes:

work's ok as it said,But how good is it,I kill it the end How go Task Manager click end task & the end of it,not good,Webroot Spysweeper you can kill like this,run as a services,Returnil need to run as a serveces. :o:o

Yes it on work good so far Hope it stop spyware so on. :rolleyes:

Yes it is an excellent app in that it protects the MBR and also against sector editors.

I do have the premium edition gifted to me for beta testing but I prefer to use it more along the lines of the free edition in using the memory cache method.

It doesn't actually prevent any malware getting installed but on reboot everything is reverted to exactly how it was to before entering Returnil mode thereby wiping any nasties.

Returnil Free V Premium Comparison

• Moderators

Nice find Hazel.

Although just out of personal preference, I'm sticking with the V 1.70 version I've been using for a long time.

It's simpler than the free 2008 Home Edition (stripped down Premium) now available on Returnils home page, and it's worked flawlessly for me since I installed it last year.

Nice find Hazel.

Although just out of personal preference, I'm sticking with the V 1.70 version I've been using for a long time.

It's simpler than the free 2008 Home Edition (stripped down Premium) now available on Returnils home page, and it's worked flawlessly for me since I installed it last year.

I agree. The new version has an option to use the disk as the virtualization method if you want but I prefer the memory option.

Just so you know the 1.70 version will stop working for you after 2 years. The new version stops after one year. They force you to update. I read this today on the Returnil Forums on Castle Cops.

• Moderators
I agree. The new version has an option to use the disk as the virtualization method if you want but I prefer the memory option.

Just so you know the 1.70 version will stop working for you after 2 years. The new version stops after one year. They force you to update. I read this today on the Returnil Forums on Castle Cops.

That's a new one on me Anthony, and a shame. I'd be happy to keep this as long as.

How do you install and set it up for the memory option?

Follow the install carefully Tom, and the option is halfway through the install process. I think it's termed "disk cache" or "memory cache".

For what it's worth, I skipped on the "virtual partition", and either save stuff to my proper partition, or a usb stick.

How do you install and set it up for the memory option?

This feature is selectable through the GUI's at setup.

It will also ask if you want create a virtual partition where data can be saved from within a Returnil session.

I don't create that virtual partition as I can save anything to a normal partition(other than C), CD or USB drive.

Only C drive is virtualized and not any any other partitions so any changes made to say D partition remain.

Remember that whilst in Returnil mode no changes whatsoever are retained to C including any AV signature updates but I think with using the disk cache method you are able to commit changes on the fly.

Meaning you are able to save data to the real C drive if using the disk cache method.

May sound a bit complicated but trust me it ain't.

The older versions didn't protect the MBR or against sector editors so it may be worthwhile upgrading to the latest and don't forget to uninstall the old version first.

This is one program I recommend reading the help thoroughly before installing. Returnil has finally smartened up and is now providing the help files on their site. When I first installed it they didn't.

Pro version http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index...tion-Manual.pdf

Free version http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index...tion-Manual.pdf

Remember that whilst in Returnil mode no changes whatsoever are retained to C including any AV signature updates but I think with using the disk cache method you are able to commit changes on the fly.

Meaning you are able to save data to the real C drive if using the disk cache method.

I've never used this so I feel a little ignorant. By "using the disk cache method" do you mean by setting up a "virtual disk partition" at setup?

By the way, if I were to give this a try, I assume there's no problem uninstalling it -- RIGHT???

I've never used this so I feel a little ignorant. By "using the disk cache method" do you mean by setting up a "virtual disk partition" at setup?

By the way, if I were to give this a try, I assume there's no problem uninstalling it -- RIGHT???

Virtual partition and disk cache are two different things. When Returnil virtualizes your system it can do it in two methods. One is on the disk (disk cache). The other is in RAM (memory). The virtual disk partition is a different thing.

I just uninstalled an old 2007 version then installed the new one. No problems. WXP home.

For the other question, once Returnil is installed you only have to turn it on...no partitioning required and you don't have to create the virtual partition during setup. I didn't, and it works fine.

Thank you again, Hazelnut. You're the best. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

RIGHT !!! We never have problems uninstalling anything around here !!!

Just a few problems cleaning up the mess afterwards,that's all.

:) davey