Windows XP Service Pack 3 Released to Manufacturing

q231

I think I"ll wait until May 13th which is "Patch Tuesday" 5:00PM EST my time and wait for the little yellow ! to appear in my Taskbar on my XP Home system.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

All those "me first" people who updated to IE8 beta are gonna be bouncing off the walls if they don't see Hazelnuts' link up there.

I've tried a few tiny betas before, but not when it deals with the core of my PC. newkpoop.gif

• Moderators

I dont see the point in uninstalling IE7.

I can see no real benefit of using IE6 or even having that option. If you have IE7 just go ahead and get SP3.

I've already upgraded 2 of my computers to SP3 without any problems and I just upgraded the last one running xp today through windows update(I just wanted to try it this way to see how it went.).

After installing SP3, have you checked to see if you have the option now to uninstall IE7? If you still have that option, I will probably install SP3 over IE7.

If not, for now, based on Hazelnut's link, once I've decided to install SP3, I'll uninstall IE7 first and reinstall it again after.

• Moderators

The link I posted was for information, so users could decide for themselves, and also be aware of the IE8 beta situation.

I have no intention of going back to IE6 so I have also, like rridgely, installed SP3 without uninstalling IE7.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The link I posted was for information, so users could decide for themselves
I should have been more clear. I did not mean to imply I was making a decision based on your post. Rather it was the information in the referred article.

I have no intention of going back to IE6

Perhaps I'm missing something in the article, but according to my understanding of it, we only have to revert to IE6 just before installing SP3. Then we immediately upgrade to IE7 again.

Granted, having to uninstall IE7 is remote, but at least the option would be there without having to unstall SP3 first.

Is this right or am I reading it wrong?

• Moderators

The point I'm making is why bother going through the hassle of uninstalling IE7 just so you can install it later and have the option of uninstalling it again? What real reason would you have of going back to the much inferior IE6(slower, less standards compliant, no tabs, less secure, ect, ect.)

Sure there is nothing wrong with doing it but to me and probably most others it seems like an unneeded step.

Well, one more gasp for air and I?m going down for the third time.

What real reason would you have of going back to the much inferior IE6(slower, less standards compliant, no tabs, less secure, ect, ect.)

I would only be on IE6 for a few minutes, not forever, just however long it took to uninstall IE7, install SP3 and reinstall IE7. I may be in a minority of one but for me a few minutes is not a hassle. And there must be a reason the IE8 program manager recommended to do it this way.

If, in the future, I decided I?ve had enough of IE7, and wanted to uninstall it to free up computer resources or whatever, it would be more of a hassle to have to uninstall SP3 just so I can uninstall IE7. Plus the article did not address IE7 updates or an IE8 upgrade if you install SP3 over IE7. Maybe IE7 updates and IE8 upgrade after SP3 would be OK but I?d like to see it spelled out first.

I guess the bottom line is I don?t like to close the door on options when a few more minutes of work will keep it open. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do it this way, but there seems to be a perception that when you uninstal IE7, you're stuck with IE6.

I installed SP3 yesterday it went pretty smooth,only real problem I encountered was it screwed up my uxtheme patch and reverted back to the old windows XP theme but I found the new patched_uxtheme_for_XP_sp3 and got it all back like before. I didn't uninstall IE7 before doing so I hardly ever use it anyways. Honestly if I could take IE off my PC entirely I would never miss it.

• Moderators

Anyone that doesn't have SP2 installed yet is recommended to install it before SP3, this info I got by clicking the Help button in the SP3 setup.

I've got SP3 installed. It's now showing up on Microsoft Update, but not in Automatic Updates yet.

I even made my own autorun CD of it for now, until I burn the whole OEM XP installation, and the SP's to a DVD later on.

Makes things so easy:

xpsp3autoruncd776.png

I recieved SP3 in 4 computers by Automatic updates two days ago. Selected to ignore it and not be notified again.

Last time I ignored an update on my XP Home system it got infected shortly after and it started doing weird things and would not permit me to run regedit nor Task Manager so I booted from a floppy and used FDISK to remove then add the partition and installed XP Home on the partition then all of the Updates then all of my favorite applications and it took about 8 hours.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

YoKenny and Icedrake pleeeeeaaaaase :P

I have ignored several Windows updates in the past that Microsoft decided were "critical" and certainly were not. I have experienced no problems what so ever from it and those updates are still available from the windows Update Site. They now show up as hidden updates and one click they can be restored. This is an option so you do not continually get notified about updates you have chosen not to install.

Maybe you think I disabled Automatic Updates completely? I did not. I have updates set to notify me but not to download and install. I remain in control of what goes on my machines not Microcrap.

I can see no real benefit of using IE6 or even having that option. If you have IE7 just go ahead and get SP3.

I've already upgraded 2 of my computers to SP3 without any problems and I just upgraded the last one running xp today through windows update(I just wanted to try it this way to see how it went.).

If you are a regular IE user it's not unimaginable that at some point IE7 will get corrupted/damaged and you will need to reinstall it. If you update to XP3 without removing IE7 first you will be screwed when/'if you need to uninstall a damaged IE7. You will need to remove SP3 first than IE7 than reinstall SP3 and than IE7.

I think Revo Uninstaller can remove IE7?

It can't remove anything that doesn't have an uninstaller already. If you install SP3 with IE7 already installed it removes the ability to remove IE7 from the add/remove programs so Revo will not work either.

Installed here with no problems so far. I followed Hazel's advice. :)

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse