Recuva v1.13.304

MrG

• Admin

rclogo.gif

This new v1.13 build of Recuva adds a new Deep Scan feature. It'll scan the entire hard drive for file headers and then try and reconstruct the file without using the MFT. The advantage is that it will find files on reformatted and repartitioned drives. The down side is that it can take a long time to scan. So we only recommend it if the first normal scan doesn't return the files you need.

We hope you like it! :)

Recuva v1.13.304

• Added Deep Scan. Recuva can now search for files lost by the file system, which will work for reformatted and repartitioned drives.
  • Improved speed and stability for image preview in Windows 2k/98.
  • Several performance tweaks.
  • Various UI tweaks and improvements.

Download now from www.recuva.com

View the full blog post

• Moderators

Should be awesome, but...

I left my pc chugging along in deep clean stage 1, at about 1% per min (so 100 mins to go). Recuva had found some 150000 files after 20 mins. When I returned later Recuva was not responding, 99% into stage 2 (analyse), analysing 15000 files. I'll try again, this certainly beats the hard drive with a large stick!

Oh No! I unticked the Deep Scan option and ran Recuva. It scanned as usual, stage 1 and 2 with totals. At the end it said No Files Were Found, and at the bottom of the page shows The Parameter is Incorrect. No files are listed. I'll dig deeper...

If I cancel Stage 2 (as I usually do) then the files are listed OK. It's only when Stage 2 runs to the end that I get the error. This is normal running (Shallow Scan). Stage 2 in Deep Scan would be horrendous. Make Stasge 2 a cancellable option please!

• Moderators

I reinstated 1.12 and installed 1.13 on a usb flash drive, with the same results (1.13 failing at the end of stage 2). After the overnight shutdown and reboot, 1.13 was working fine in shallow scan mode, so I've reinstalled it on my pc. I've no idea what the previous prob was. I'll try deep scan later, when I have a few hours to spare.

• Moderators

I tried another run of deep scan today in debug mode, and Recuva ran through both stage 1 and 2 to completion without errors, so it seems that the error I reported previously probably lies on my side. On a 160 gb single partition disk with 9 gb used I found 149,000 files in just under 100 mins.

Perhaps the initial error came from installing 1.13 and then going straight into deep scan. I have of course rebooted several times since then, so perhaps if I had rebooted after the install I would have not had any problem. Of course deep scan is not something you run every day (you do?), so a couple of runs is not really proof either way. But I'm happy to put this on hold, after all there aren't many, if any, other reports of errors, and I assume this great scan facility is being used.

The deep scan is revealing. I'm surprised what it turned up, just scanning through those files with an unknown modified date. So perhaps we weren't so secure as we thought? Anyway, a tremendous step for Recuva.