Internet Speed

• Moderators
There is little point in online speed testing because if you try several different website tests you will find they all say something different.

That's true. However they do offer some validity to test your connection to make sure your ISP isn't completely screwing you over - it's how I got my ISP to fix things on my connection last year about this time when I starting forwarding them my SpeedTest.net results.

It has a lot to do with how good and how far your exchange is from your PC. The closer you are to the exchange the better.

The size of the Exchange I don’t now if bigger is better or not. It is probably more to do with max volume and percentage in current use.

Most of these sites for speed tests are for market research by various ISP’s and other market researchers that want information about you so that they can target potential consumers with New Exiting Offers. :lol:

Most of these sites for speed tests are for market research by various ISP?s and other market researchers that want information about you so that they can target potential consumers with New Exiting Offers. :lol:

While yes it's likely its used for research the speed test sites (the ones mentioned here) don't ask for your contact details so except via their targeted site advertising you won't be called or emailed regarding an offer (and I run an adblock extension so don't see them either).

And back on topic, speed test are interesting and useful to gauge speeds provided by your isp (if you choose a local site to test with).

as here in australia, I can get great speeds to my isp and to other local hosted sites, but if I do a speed test (speedtest.net) and pick an overseas isp, which most sites will be, the speed could be very different.

So that actual speed you feel while browsing is affected by so many factors;

ADSL speed you signed up for, distance to your exchange, pc speed/stability, other active downloads, the browser you are using, distance (hops) to website host, adsl speed of the host, speed limiting of the host, oh and don't for get wither or not you're shaped. :D

fireryone

There are also the factors of time of day and what day of the week it is that influence your speeds.

There are solar storms that also mess around with electronics on the planet.

Personally I blame the gremlins for bad Internet speeds :lol:

I hate adverts and block just about everything possible letting just enough through to let a website work.

Not all sites need cookies but they are rare sadly.

Yes speed tests are great for basic testing but should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators
speed limiting of the host

That's one of the biggest bottlenecks in my opinion. Although the other day when I downloaded my PS3 update via Firefox from Sony I was able to see what my connection speed is truly capable of from a very fast site.

• 2 weeks later...