Internet Speed

High all. I was just curious as to what kind of speeds everyone has on their internet. This is the results I got from a site I tried (http://www.speedtest.net/) :

Download: 5875 kb/s

Upload: 789 kb/s

Ping: 78 s

Distance: 750 mi

How is this considered in relation to everyone else? :)

• Moderators

i187_SpeedTest.jpg

It would be nice if we could actually download and upload at these speeds, but sadly just about every server I've downloaded music and stuff from, has speeds no where near what my Speedtest results show.

Interesting nonetheless.

• Moderators
It would be nice if we could actually download and upload at these speeds, but sadly just about every server I've downloaded music and stuff from, has speeds no where near what my Speedtest results show.

Ditto! I always think of those tests with a whatever attitude, because the reality of our actual download/upload speeds differ from what they show. Also since we download from all over the world and not just the "closes server" things will never be the same.

Mine:

260635025.png

Mine sucked. Somewhere about 625kb's download and 160kb's upload. I need to get some money to increase the connection speed, dammit!

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

System.out.println("Mwuhahahaha");

}

• Moderators
Mine sucked. Somewhere about 625kb's download and 160kb's upload. I need to get some money to increase the connection speed, dammit!

I feel the exact same. Although Speedtest.net states I have 1976 kbps for downloading in reality it's only 159 kbps. Maybe what they're showing is something different, I don't know for sure. At least it's better than dial-up! :lol:

I feel the exact same. Although Speedtest.net states I have 1976 kbps for downloading in reality it's only 159 kbps. Maybe what they're showing is something different, I don't know for sure. At least it's better than dial-up! :lol:

lol! Yeah! I remember those days.

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

System.out.println("Mwuhahahaha");

}

I'm happy

260847629.png

At least it's better than dial-up!
I remember 1200bps dial-up but everything was green text on black background and my CPU was 8MHZ with a 10MB hard drive.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yeah,I felt lucky to get 18-24 kbps on dial-up download.

Now that we are off the original cables used by Alexander G. Bell running from D.C to Baltimore for his first city to city demo,I am now on a LAN.Things are a little bit better now.

260876558.png

:) davey

Thank God for fiber optics.

Here are my results :huh:

260906575.png

Speed Test says that I'm 50 Miles away? Wrong! I'm over 100 Miles away "230 Km" from the server that was used for the test.

The service that I pay for is: 1500 kb/s download & 256 kb/s upload.

I'm in a regional (country area) not in a "city" so taking that into consideration, I guess it's not a bad result.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. The speed you have is way above probably 99% of the sites I've come across. You can only download at the speed of the server, at the site you're downloading from.

You should be able to download streaming music and even movies with the speed you have.

Most of the places I've downloaded from have anywhere between 30-40kbps and 120-130kbps, and I've found a hell of a lot worse than that.

Sometimes if a site has a few mirror sites to download from, it's worth trying different ones. I always found this to be the case at somewhere like Major Geeks.

I've just had a try there now and the Texas link is about 10-12kbps, and the Australian mirror is 34kbps.

Until we start finding some fast servers, I don't think our Speedtest.net numbers mean a great deal.

This is just my experience of course. Anyone experienced better than that generally?

Hi

My Upload speed is BORING - always 246 to 247 kbps - always the same - so boring I don't want t measure it - it is ONLY measured because it is part of the package deal for measuring the Download speed.

Download speed is INTERESTING - I wish it was not.

It is consistently in the range 1850 to 1920 kbps - very close to my rated 2200 kbps.

or else it erratically bounces around between 300 and 450 kbps.

Whatever it is, I am stuck with it for the rest of the day,

unless I tell my modem to disconnect and reconnect and then I am into a brand new game.

My morning ritual :-

Power up computer, Power up Kettle, make coffee, log on, connect to Internet, then :-

Start downloading a monster file, and after two Seconds assessing modem diagnostics I abort download.

If I assess the download as way faster than 1000 kbps, everything is fine, using a good internet connection;

If instead the download stutters and stumbles way below 1000 kbps, modem disconnect and reconnect and try again until my ISP gets it right.

After a 2 Second quality test I may spend 30 seconds on a very accurate and informative test from http://myspeed.visualware.com/

The really useful feature is a graph that shows the instantaneous speed and delay between packets during the 8 second duration download.

When I have a good connection the delays average 20 mSec, with something (not yet identified) giving a 60 mSec spike at exactly 1100 mSec intervals - intriguing but so what.

When I have a bad connection I normally just disconnect and reconnect, but sometimes it may take a dozen attempts before I get a good connection.

If this continues for a week I go into "Kick the ISP mode".

I spend 2 seconds to confirm it is bad, I then refrain from disconnection, and instead spend 30 seconds at

http://myspeed.visualware.com/ for very detailed information - it ALWAYS shows about 700 to 1000 mSec of nothing at all, after which about 200 to 400 mSec in which the packets gradually accelerate, and just as they begin to approach 1700 kbps an instant nothing at all for another large piece of a second - typically I see about 5 or 6 cycles of un-equal and irregular duration with the 8 second period. I then get a link from that web-site and my ISP can then see the same pretty pictures I have just seen. I have never downloaded anything like 1 GByte per month, so I do not qualify for data throttling or traffic management, and my ISP (TalkTalk) denies ever doing it to me, and says it must be B.T. at my local exchange - but usually within a few days of throwing ammunition I find things are much better.

Incidentally, when I am really in the mood, I can launch DOS pingers and also Windows pingers simultaneously with this speed test, and these pingers repeat at 50 mSec and 100 mSec intervals, and every ping is acknowledged within 40 mSec, even though at least 6 consecutive pings have been sent and answered within any of the "nothing at all" intervals that last between 700 and 1000 mSec. This proves that for the 1000 mSec when not a single TCP gets through, the ICMP pings have no trouble at all, so it cannot be noise on the line (normal excuse from "First Line" Technical Support) but has to be traffic selective, i.e. traffic management.

Conclusion. I always have perfect 246 kbps upload, and generally not much problem getting 1900 kbps download, but sometimes my ISP needs a bit of a shouting at.

Recommendation - if you have drastically varying performance, use this speed test as a powerful weapon against your ISP.

If you want a good link for my 2 second assessment test from a site that can download faster than 2000 kbps, I am not giving you mine !!!

I am member number 19,700, and I think this site might get overloaded and will not work properly for me if 19,699 other people simultaneously try for the same file, So go and find your own !!!

I will give you one clue, it is a file I download from Microsoft.

Alan

260411001.png

260410343.png

Something's messing up my download speed here.

your first connection was to a server in the USA, the second was closer to home. For that speed test to work reliably you have to connect to a server in your area (or on the same continent at least!)

your first connection was to a server in the USA, the second was closer to home. For that speed test to work reliably you have to connect to a server in your area (or on the same continent at least!)

The server in our area messes up my results, so I don't use it. If it was reliable, then I would've posted it in the first place. :P

261282421.png