CCleaner and TIF index.dat

Willi

Hello,

i use CCleaner in win98 and i am satisfied about it, but unforunately using CClener in WinXP, it doesn't delete index.dat file stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

can someone help me?

thanks a lot to everybody

1: Are you sure the tick box next to Temporary internet files is ticked?

2:If yes to 1 then try adding the folder to "Custom Folders" in "Options" and see if that works.

3:If you have done both 1 & 2 then I have not got a clue. Maybe CCleaner is removing the files but windows is recreating them so when you browse to the folder it looks like CCleaner has not removed them.

• Moderators

You should get something like this:

Details of files deleted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IE Temporary Internet Files (42 files) 0.15MB

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Cookies\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion means you must restart your computer in order for the index.dat to be deleted. Once you run IE the index's.dat are recreated. I hope this answers your question.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Maybe CCleaner is removing the files but windows is recreating them so when you browse to the folder it looks like CCleaner has not removed them.

englishmen,

i know that windows recreating the index.dat file of 32kb,

but unfortunately the file is the same also after reboot and the content is visible using a tool f.e. index.dat viewer, so the file is neither cleaned nor deleted :(

anyway thanks for reply

You should get something like this:

Details of files deleted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IE Temporary Internet Files (42 files) 0.15MB

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Cookies\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\TwistedMetal\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion means you must restart your computer in order for the index.dat to be deleted. Once you run IE the index's.dat are recreated. I hope this answers your question.

I know that!

in fact in win98 i can see mark for deletion,

but using winXP i can see ONLY

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Cookies\index.dat

no other...

thanks

I know that!

in fact in win98 i can see mark for deletion,

but using winXP i can see ONLY

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Cookies\index.dat

no other...

thanks

A bit off subject but we are only trying to help you saying "I know that!" seems a bit rude maybe "Thanks for the suggestion but I am aware of that"?

I am sorry,

i didn't want to be rude, i just wanted to emphasize the i know that CCleaner mark for deletion that files, and i know that you all try to help me and for that i thank you.

Sorry again and thanks for support