AntiVir Update

Sockdown

• Moderators
Why Avast wasn't good for you?

Reread his comment. He meant he would only buy it if avast started doing pop ups like avg/antivir.

I'm a little surprised by the recent pop ups in avg and antivir. I thought their reasoning for offering free versions was that they would have more exposure to new threats and more testers so that they could fix the problems in their program for the paying customers. Now it seems those 2 aren't worth offering an ad free version anymore.

• Moderators

I meant if Avast ever turns into an adwhore then I'd buy Nod, then again Alwil the makers of Avast may never do that being the lone truely freeware AV.

Now it seems those 2 aren't worth offering an ad free version anymore.

If I had or operated a download site (which I don't) I'd label both AVG Free an AntiVir Personal as adware since that's what they are now.

I tried NagScreenkiller and didn't like it one bit. For anyone that tries it you had better track the installation with something like ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstall (last freeware version) because it leaves some crap behind. Note it will also remove on reboot the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX

MSCOMCTL.OCX can be easily re-installed using the JavaCool Software installer listed in the middle of this post.

Thank you for the warning.It takes a lot of nagging to make me feel nagged any way.

If I feel like I am being nagged too much I just leave the area.

I am sure I will do the same with software.

As far as AVG goes I have only had 2 pop-ups in several months.Both AVG ads.No sweat!!!

:) davey

Thank you for the warning.It takes a lot of nagging to make me feel nagged any way.

If I feel like I am being nagged too much I just leave the area.

I am sure I will do the same with software.

As far as AVG goes I have only had 2 pop-ups in several months.Both AVG ads.No sweat!!!

:) davey

I can handle the odd pop up to especially if I get to use a very nice app like AVG AV for free. The browser hi jacking I will not tolerate though. It only happened once but if it happens again AVG is gone.

• Moderators
Still no avira nag screen for me, so the fix for avira 7 must have carried over to 8.

Blocking avnotify.exe is a double-edged sword because it in version 7 at least was also used for getting the virus information, so if you had something you wanted to look up you'd be out of luck doing it in the program. Of course that's a price well paid to stop the ad window, especially since virus info can be searched for via a web browser.