What Level Defragger are you?

davey

Hey Friends,

Nothing like a good discussion about a very important topic for all users.

My thoughts are due to a lot of reading and evaluation also.

LEVEL #1 For the AVERAGE PC USER

Disk Defragmenter is the best things going for most average users.MS put a lot of thought and experience in developing and honing this product.It does the best job that can be done for the average PC user.It rarely needs any updates or fixes.If so this is done during MS updating.No muss,no fuss for the average user.May it always stay that way.

It takes into consideration the users preferences and processing history and "defrags" and optimizes based on the information that Windows has accumulated during the history of the computers use.Most users leave Prefetch and User Assist History alone.That is to their benefit.There are other areas that keep historical data also but I won't go there.Average users don't need to go there either.

This explains the "slowness" of MS defrag.In reality most users don't need to defrag that often.That is why I advise average users to only defrag when Disk Defragmenter agrees that they need to do so.If it tells them it doesn't need defragmenting it is because of Windows disk optimisation considerations.

It is that plain and simple.If you do keep defragging it is detrimental to your computers performance in the short term.In the long term Windows will eventually sort it out.However it can be a very long term.

The average user is best off using Windows defaults,leaving Windows special files alone and let it do it's thing.Users have the option to Analyze(always recommended by me),View a Report, Defrag or Cancel.

LEVEL #2 For the SLIGHTLY ADVANCED USER

Piriform DEFRAGGLER is the type of defrag program needed by those with more specialized needs and more advanced knowledge of the PC.It is small, fast and easy to use but requires a little more knowledge to take advantage of it's various options.It is still evolving in it's development.

This best things that can be said for Defraggler can be found "searching" Piriform forums.Especially Posts and Replies by those who have used many different "defrag" products.

LEVEL #3 For the MORE ADVANCED USER

These defragment programs fill the needs of those with very specialized needs.They also tend to include more advanced disk optimization stategies.This includes those users with complex systems and/or large volumes of data.

Some of these products are free.Some free products out perform commercial products.

Arguments can be made for the use or non-use of each.It really depends on the users needs.

Personally I am LEVEL #1 user most of the time,Level #2 user some of the time,and Level #3 user rarely.

What level Degragger are you?

Best Regards,

:) davey

I'm a LEVEL #3 kinda guy.

If you are not living on the edge then you're taking up too much room.

Gets me in trouble sometimes though.

JkDefrag is not beta and been around a long time. :)

JkDefrag is a disk defragmenter and optimizer for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with several optimization strategies, and can handle floppies, USB disks, memory sticks, and anything else that looks like a disk to Windows. Included are a Windows version, a commandline version (for scheduling by the task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts), a screensaver version, a DLL library (for use from programming languages), versions for Windows X64, and the complete sources.
http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
JkDefrag is not beta and been around a long time. :)

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag

I just started using JkDefrag again because it auto defrags, and auto closes using the -q option. It just seems faster than Microsoft Windows Sysinternals Contig which I'll leave installed should I change my mind, and because the Windows Defrag was always complaining about not being able to defrag something.

Perfectdisk 7 on this XP install and have a shortcut that runs "process idle tasks" to rebuild the layout.ini file within the prefetch folder for optimal boot.

Sometimes I start Perfectdisk and shutdown explorer before starting a defrag.

Does it make a difference?Don't really know. :unsure:

I'm a lvl 2 defragger, I'm kinda crazy about keeping my PC in tip-top shape. Auslogics Diskdefrag is a really good (and free) defragging program. Doesn't take up space or memory, very user-friendly too.

Diskeeper 2008 premier is The best :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is exactly why I didn't mention any Defrag names other than Windows for Level 1 or Piriform Defraggler for Level 2.

The term BEST is arguable to say the least.

Have a look here to see what I mean.

You can click on Defrag Shootout to review The Last Shoot Out Winners and read the latest in the new shootout.You can also follow the links to learn all you ever need to know about Defragmentation.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/search/label/WDD

When people start throwing around the term Best for a Commercial product around this FREE forum Spam warnings start going off.

Best Wishes,

Edited by davey

I've been using JKDefrag for quite some time. Since the start of this thread, I've been doing a little research on PerfectDisk 2008 -- and it sounds very interesting. For those of you who use it, do you think it's really all that superior (even though it is a commercial product)?

These defragment programs fill the needs of those with very specialized needs.They also tend to include more advanced disk optimization stategies.This includes those users with complex systems and/or large volumes of data.

Some of these products are free.Some free products out perform commercial products.

Arguments can be made for the use or non-use of each.It really depends on the users needs.

Using JkDefrag here. Light, portable, and quick. :D

• Moderators
Perfectdisk 7 on this XP install and have a shortcut that runs "process idle tasks" to rebuild the layout.ini file within the prefetch folder for optimal boot.

Sometimes I start Perfectdisk and shutdown explorer before starting a defrag.

Does it make a difference?Don't really know. :unsure:

I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Back in the Win98 days I had a batch and reg file that would cause the system to restart then do a "boot time" defrag before many other applications could even load. I've never tried to do the same on XP however.

• Moderators
Is JkDefrag a better defragmenter than Window's built-in one?

I wouldn't necessarily call it better, however it is feature-rich and does a very good job and seems to be just as fast. They can both be used via a command line and scheduled in Task Scheduler. The appealing aspect of JkDefrag is when using it's parameters as detailed on its website, which allows you to define how you want a defrag task to take place. Plus it's continually updated; and how old is the XP defrag now?

I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Back in the Win98 days I had a batch and reg file that would cause the system to restart then do a "boot time" defrag before many other applications could even load. I've never tried to do the same on XP however.
Index.dat Suite can be set up to do a "boot time" defrag:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=Index.datSuite

Maybe a "boot time" defrag could become an option for a future release of CCleaner?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I wouldn't necessarily call it better, however it is feature-rich and does a very good job and seems to be just as fast. They can both be used via a command line and scheduled in Task Scheduler. The appealing aspect of JkDefrag is when using it's parameters as detailed on its website, which allows you to define how you want a defrag task to take place. Plus it's continually updated; and how old is the XP defrag now?

So, how is it better?

Hey Friends,

Nothing like a good discussion about a very important topic for all users.

My thoughts are due to a lot of reading and evaluation also.

LEVEL #1 For the AVERAGE PC USER

Disk Defragmenter is the best things going for most average users.MS put a lot of thought and experience in developing and honing this product.It does the best job that can be done for the average PC user.It rarely needs any updates or fixes.If so this is done during MS updating.No muss,no fuss for the average user.May it always stay that way.

It takes into consideration the users preferences and processing history and "defrags" and optimizes based on the information that Windows has accumulated during the history of the computers use.Most users leave Prefetch and User Assist History alone.That is to their benefit.There are other areas that keep historical data also but I won't go there.Average users don't need to go there either.

This explains the "slowness" of MS defrag.In reality most users don't need to defrag that often.That is why I advise average users to only defrag when Disk Defragmenter agrees that they need to do so.If it tells them it doesn't need defragmenting it is because of Windows disk optimisation considerations.

It is that plain and simple.If you do keep defragging it is detrimental to your computers performance in the short term.In the long term Windows will eventually sort it out.However it can be a very long term.

The average user is best off using Windows defaults,leaving Windows special files alone and let it do it's thing.Users have the option to Analyze(always recommended by me),View a Report, Defrag or Cancel.

LEVEL #2 For the SLIGHTLY ADVANCED USER

Piriform DEFRAGGLER is the type of defrag program needed by those with more specialized needs and more advanced knowledge of the PC.It is small, fast and easy to use but requires a little more knowledge to take advantage of it's various options.It is still evolving in it's development.

This best things that can be said for Defraggler can be found "searching" Piriform forums.Especially Posts and Replies by those who have used many different "defrag" products.

Personally I am LEVEL #1 user most of the time,Level #2 user some of the time,and Level #3 user rarely.

What level Degragger are you?

Best Regards,

Hi Davey

Can you please elaborate on the "over disk defragmenting issue" ? I did not understand why it is detrimental to the computer. To a novice like me it appeared to be ,that the more files are fragmented ,the slower the computer runs... :blink:

Thanks

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• Moderators
Maybe a "boot time" defrag could become an option for a future release of CCleaner?

I'd just be happy if it would delete all the files it's instructed to delete on reboot, versus having to use something else to do it. Maybe the "boot time" defrag thing is something for Defraggler instead.

• Moderators
So, how is it better?

Picking me brain huh! :lol:

For me it's better because it deals with space hogs (see program website for description). And because using just one desktop shortcut is enough for it to auto-defrag all hard disks meaning I have zero involvement with it and don't have to click anything else.

Hi Davey

Can you please elaborate on the "over disk defragmenting issue" ? I did not understand why it is detrimental to the computer. To a novice like me it appeared to be ,that the more files are fragmented ,the slower the computer runs... :blink:

Thanks

Eli

Hi Eli,

It is not so much "over defragging" as much as "over optimizing"'.

Some people who don't know any better, like the prior user of this PC, had everything squeezed and compressed so much that every thing new would end up at the end and in a lot of cases Windows couldn't use it advantage to move more important stuff to the front of the disk.

That is why I advise "average" PC users to leave the optimization strategy up to Windows Disk Defragmenter. They are also advised not to disturb the Prefetch file and User Assist History.

Believe me I have done much research into this matter.

Average PC users who don't want to become "techies",don't want to worry about constant updates,

should just rely on Windows Disk Defragmenter.

Much thought,mathematics,testing and evaluation went into the optimization strategies developed by MS for Windows XP.

Advanced users have different needs and know how to manipulate their systems to meet their special requirements .

Read more of the links provided by the Author of the Defrag Shootout and you will see that WDD (Windows Disk Defragmenter) performs better than most people believe.This means average users don't have to be "gurus".Just use WDD and they will be OK.

You can click on Defrag Shootout to review The Last Shoot Out Winners and read the latest in the new shootout.You can also follow the links to learn all you ever need to know about Defragmentation.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/search/label/WDD

When you start changing "Default" options and Registry settings,users begin to negate all the benefits designed into Windows for the average user.

Eli, I know you are curious.Here is a link you need to read to protect yourself in advance of other questionable advice.Bookmark it,it's a keeper.I like the whole site.Just ignore the ads in the articles.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Best wishes,

Edited by davey

That is why I advise "average" PC users to leave the optimization strategy up to Windows Disk Defragmenter. They are also advised not to disturb the Prefetch file and User Assist History.
I concur with davy as I have tried several defrag applications and Windows Disk Defragmenter is safe.

I do use JkDefrag occasionally but I have not noticed any difference in speed after its lengthy defrag operation.

I must admit I have not tried Defraggler though.

IE7Pro user

I concur with davy as I have tried several defrag applications and Windows Disk Defragmenter is safe.

I do use JkDefrag occasionally but I have not noticed any difference in speed after its lengthy defrag operation.

I must admit I have not tried Defraggler though.

Defraggler is good and getting better all the time.

Most users just defrag everthing.Then they complain it takes too long or hangs on large files.

Most of these files don't need defragging any way.

I just hope that they keep the Prefetch folder and User Assist history in mind.

Plus keep the average user in mind and ignore such files as mentioned above.

I also would like to see some of the Vista SP1 defrag startegies incorporated or updated in XP.

Yes ,I have used JkDefrag and I find it to be of great advantage to "very knowledgable" users.

"Average" users get along fine with Windows Disk Defragmenter.No hassles at all.

Hi Eli,

It is not so much "over defragging" as much as "over optimizing"'.

Some people who don't know any better, like the prior user of this PC, had everything squeezed and compressed so much that every thing new would end up at the end and in a lot of cases Windows couldn't use it advantage to move more important stuff to the front of the disk.

Believe me I have done much research into this matter.

Average PC users who don't want to become "techies",don't want to worry about constant updates,

should just rely on Windows Disk Defragmenter.

Much thought,mathematics,testing and evaluation went into the optimization strategies developed by MS for Windows XP.

Advanced users have different needs and know how to manipulate their systems to meet their special requirements .

Read more of the links provided by the Author of the Defrag Shootout and you will see that WDD (Windows Disk Defragmenter) performs better than most people believe.This means average users don't have to be "gurus".Just use WDD and they will be OK.

When you start changing "Default" options and Registry settings,users begin to negate all the benefits designed into Windows for the average user.

Eli, I know you are curious.Here is a link you need to read to protect yourself in advance of other questionable advice.Bookmark it,it's a keeper.I like the whole site.Just ignore the ads in the articles.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Best wishes,

Hi Davey

Thank you for the links ,and your enlightening reply. :P

Best wishes

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Defraggler is good and getting better all the time.

Most users just defrag everything.Then they complain it takes too long or hangs on large files.

Most of these files don't need defragging any way.

I just hope that they keep the Prefetch folder and User Assist history in mind.

Plus keep the average user in mind and ignore such files as mentioned above.

I also would like to see some of the Vista SP1 defrag startegies incorporated or updated in XP.

"Average" users get along fine with Windows Disk Defragmenter.No hassles at all.

Yes ,I have used JkDefrag and I find it to be of great advantage to "very knowledgable" users.

Hi Everybody,

Thought you might like to see the latest Defraggler update from http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

t883_20080430053023.png

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Look at Defraggler

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/