Registry cleaning

Eli

Hi

Assuming that before I use registry cleaning ,I back up . With some of the issues I`m familiar ,with the most I`m not . I`m quite unease to mess up with the registry..... :o

Questions:

1) It will take an humongous amount of time to get to know every single issue .

If that is the case ,is CCleaner safe enough to be trusted not to do any harm to the system functions ? :blink:

2) How important it is to take some risk and clean the registry if the system is working properly ? :unsure:

(I`m not a heavy duty P.C user)

Thanking in advance . E.P

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

I'm just an average user of CC but if you're not sure, run System Restore (on XP) to create a System Restore point before you run CCleaner just to be on the safe side. What it cleans may vary from user to user, depending on what applications and peripherals you have.

The 2 main functions in CCleaner are 1)Cleaner and 2)Registry. Also in the Windows the Application tabs you'll have the choice of what to keep & what to ditch. Do you visit websites that keep your log name and password memorized for you? Then you might want to uncheck 'Cookies' for now so you won't have to hunt down names & passwords later. In Cleaner you can run "Analyze" and take a gander at what it's gathered for cleaning. Nothing is removed yet. Keep in mind there'll most likely be a ton of temporary internet cache composing the bulk of it if you don't currently have your browser running at the same time you run CC. (That's safe to give the ol' heave ho.) But look at the rest of it. See if you see any names of apps that you don't want to tamper with and uncheck them from the Windows or Application tabs as well, if they're listed. When you're satisfied press "Run Cleaner".

The deeper app is Registry. I've never had a problem with this but maybe that's just me. From what I've seen from other reg cleaners this one is the safest. Run "Scan For Issues", look at what it targeted and what dysfunctional category they're listed under. Nothing is removed yet. Uncheck any things you see that make you a bit leery and run "Fix Selected Issues". You did remember to run System Restore earlier didn't you? :blink: Good. You're right as rain. Have a cookie.

No, I'm not an Admin or a Moderator, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Oh, and yes it will take you a fair amount of time to learn all of CCs' little goodies, but not a humungous amount.

If your PC is running just fine you don't 'need' to do a registry scan, but we do because all of our names are Felix Unger and we hate dirt. :P

• Moderators

CCleaner offers you the chance to make a backup of any reg items in an issues clean.

By default these are stored in 'my documents', if there are any problems after a reg clean just right click on the .reg backup file and choose merge.

More info on this, and other things, can be seen here under the registry tab on the left here in the beginners guide

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thank you for your reply ,but please see my questions again I somehow fail to see your answer to these:

"Assuming that before I use registry cleaning ,I back up . With some of the issues I`m familiar ,with the most I`m not . I`m quite unease to mess up with the registry.....

Questions:

If that is the case ,is CCleaner safe enough to be trusted not to do any harm to the system functions ?

2) How important it is to take some risk and clean the registry if the system is working properly ?

(I`m not a heavy duty P.C user) "

Thanks again P.E

• Moderators

I don't think that any user, no matter how experienced, can guarantee that full registry cleaning will be harmless. We don't know what pc you have, how you use it, what software is on it, what is being flagged as a candidate for deletion, and what CC gives as a reason for deletion. (Please don't post all this info, we still won't know!)

It's often commented here that CC is a fairly mild cleaner, so the odds are that you will be OK. Take the advice and back up and do a section at a time, say one area a day. You will soon become familiar with it.

I speak as someone who hardly ever cleans the registry, unless the entry has aol or some other similarly easily identifiable entry. It's no great deal.

Thank you for your reply ,but please see my questions again I somehow fail to see your answer to these:

"Assuming that before I use registry cleaning ,I back up . With some of the issues I`m familiar ,with the most I`m not . I`m quite unease to mess up with the registry.....

Questions:

If that is the case ,is CCleaner safe enough to be trusted not to do any harm to the system functions ?

2) How important it is to take some risk and clean the registry if the system is working properly ?

(I`m not a heavy duty P.C user)

Thanks again P.E

Eli,

You are a valuable member of this forum,this cyberspace community.

Why? Because you ask such important questions.

Question # 1 answer is always Yes and No.Even MS has a disclaimer about changing the Registry.

There is always the risk of something unforseen happening.The question is how experienced are you at recovering from a problem that occurs.

There is no rush to use the Registry function for most users. Especially when your computer is running OK. Users that do a lot of testing and uninstalling and using certain types of software need to clean up their Registry and fix it often manually.These are the "techies" or "heavy duty P.C. users" that know the risks and for them it is normal to have to do special recovery methods.The average P.C. user does not need to do this and in many cases can't recover properly when things go wrong.

Keep reading the various threads when you have the time and learn a little at a time.

Of course I'll refer you to some of the replies I have made to other users.

Have fun with your computer and be happy.

"Take your time and enjoy yourself."

Here is a little lesson that will help you in your "searches" of the forum and help answer your question #2.You may already know some of this but it also helps others to learn a liitle bit more.

Everything I am saying that follows is assuming you are using Internet Explorer 7.Other browsers are similar but the locations and icons may be different.I use IE7 myself and don't want to change to another browser so I can keep the viewpoint of the average user who installs Windows and uses Internet Explorer. The version of IE used is limited depending on the version of Windows that you use.

First a little trick I learned myself.Click on the GOLD STAR on the left above this window.(Favorites Center)

Now click on the word History that appears below it.This is a list of all the webpages you have visited since you last deleted your browsing history.

(Click on the GOLDS STAR again after you do the next step and click on any Piriform icon(the Pear).

I am telling you this now because this window will disappear and a New Tab window will open.)

Click on that little empty Tab right above this window.It will say "New Tab" when you put your "pointer" over it.Don't forget when the New Tab opens Click on the GOLD STAR and click on any Piriform icon.This will open a new tab and you will be able to switch back and forth between this window and the new window. Click on the old tab and then the new tab.Back and forth you can change windows.

Now you can read the instructions in one window and perform them in the other window.(Wish someone taught me this trick when I was trying to follow their instructions.) Yes I have a printer but some users don't.Anyways it is good lesson for many new users.

Don't forget you will be switching back and forth between tabs.

I am using the new tab right now to find a link that I want to give you.

At the top of every members Piriform forum window is a "Search" button or word Search.

Click on that and you get a little search box.In that box it says "More search options".Click on that.

This takes you to a more detailed "Search Options" window.At the bottom of this window there is a button labeled "More options" Click on that button.

Congratulations you are now at the forums most advanced search window.Bookmark or click on the GOLD STAR WITH THE GREEN PLUS SIGN and Add to Favorites.(Do both and you will be able to use any PC to link to your favorite websites.I like redundancy for certain things.)

IF you got lost along the way don't feel bad.Stuff happens and we learn from our mistakes.

This is the link for one of my favorite forum tools.The Search Engine !!!

You got here the hard way or the easy way.Either way you have learned something.That is the value of the Bookmark or Favorites or both.Never depend on Recently Typed URLs to be around.Thats when they disappear.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ode=adv&f=0

Bookmark it , Add it to Favorites or both.

Are we having fun yet? :lol:

Now type in "phone book" including the quotes in the Search By Keywords box.You can also click on Advanced Usage Help to see search examples.

Type in my member name "davey" without the quotes in the Filter by Member Name (optional) box.

(This will narrow the search to only my posts.)

Remember I am switching back and forth between Tabs just as you are.

Down at the bottom right you will find Result Type Show results as topics or Show results as posts.

Click on Show results as posts (This is important). Now click on the "Perform the search".

You are now looking at one of my posts and it contains the phrase "phone book".As of now it is the only post I have containing this phrase.Notice at the bottom it says Post Preview: #99057 .Click on the post number and you can review the whole thread.

Use the Back arrow to bring you back to the Search results list.(You must Double-click sometimes to do this)

You can review many posts this way and they relate to your "search keywords" or phrases and list in a way that is useful.

For those who got lost or don't have the Search feature the link follows.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99057

Now have fun and learn faster and easier with your new forum tool!!!

:) davey

Edited by davey

Eli,

You are a valuable member of this forum,this cyberspace community.

Why? Because you ask such important questions.

Question # 1 answer is always Yes and No.Even MS has a disclaimer about changing the Registry.

There is always the risk of something unforseen happening.The question is how experienced are you at recovering from a problem that occurs.

There is no rush to use the Registry function for most users. Especially when your computer is running OK. Users that do a lot of testing and uninstalling and using certain types of software need to clean up their Registry and fix it often manually.These are the "techies" or "heavy duty P.C. users" that know the risks and for them it is normal to have to do special recovery methods.The average P.C. user does not need to do this and in many cases can't recover properly when things go wrong.

Keep reading the various threads when you have the time and learn a little at a time.

Of course I'll refer you to some of the replies I have made to other users.

Have fun with your computer and be happy.

"Take your time and enjoy yourself."

Here is a little lesson that will help you in your "searches" of the forum and help answer your question #2.You may already know some of this but it also helps others to learn a liitle bit more.

First a little trick I learned myself.Click on the GOLD STAR on the left above this window.

Now click on the word History that appears below it.This is a list of all the webpages you have visited since you last deleted your browsing history.

(Click on the GOLDS STAR again after you do the next step and click on any Piriform icon(the Pear).

I am telling you this now because this window will disappear and a New Tab window will open.)

Click on that little empty Tab right above this window.It will say "New Tab" when you put your "pointer" over it.Don't forget when the New Tab opens Click on the GOLD STAR and click on any Piriform icon.This will open a new tab and you will be able to switch back and forth between this window and the new window. Click on the old tab and then the new tab.Back and forth you can change windows.

Now you can read the instructions in one window and perform them in the other window.(Wish someone taught me this trick when I was trying to follow their instructions.) Yes I have a printer but some users don't.Anyways it is good lesson for many new users.

I am using the new tab right now to find a link that I want to give you.

At the top of every members forum window is a "Search" button or word Search.

Click on that and you get a little search box.In that box it says "More search options".Click on that.

This takes you to a more detailed "Search Options" window.At the bottom of this window there is a button labeled "More options" Click on that button.

Congratulations you are now at the forums most advanced search window.Bookmark or click on the GOLD STAR WITH THE GREEN PLUS SIGN and Add to Favorites.(Do both and you will be able to use any PC to link to your favorite websites.I like redundancy for certain things.)

IF you got lost along the way don't feel bad.Stuff happens and we learn from our mistakes.

This is the link for one of my favorite forum tools.The Search Engine !!!

You got here the hard way or the easy way.Either way you have learned something,that is the value of the Bookmark or Favorites or both.Never depend on Recently Typed URLs to be around.Thats when they disappear.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ode=adv&f=0

Bookmark it , Add it to Favorites or both.

Are we having fun yet? :lol:

Now type in "phone book" including the quotes in the Search By Keywords box.You can also click on Advanced Usage Help to see search examples.

Type in my member name "davey" without the quotes in the Filter by Member Name (optional) box.

(This will narrow the search to only my posts.)

Remember I am switching back and forth between Tabs just as you are.

Down at the bottom right you will find Result Type Show results as topics or Show results as posts.

Click on Show results as posts (This is important). Now click on the "Perform the search".

You are now looking at one of my posts and it contains the phrase "phone book".As of now it is the only post I have containing this phrase.Notice at the bottom it says Post Preview: #99057 .Click on the post number and you can review the whole thread.

Use the Back arrow to bring you back to the Search results list.(You must Double-click sometimes to do this)

You can review many posts this way and they relate to your "search keywords" or phrases and list in a way that is useful.

For those who got lost or don't have the Search feature the link follows.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99057

Now have fun and learn faster and easier with your new forum tool!!!

Davey hi !!!

I`m very thankful for your very professional supportive response and the new tools I have got now to satisfy my endless curiosity ... E.p :P

Davey hi !!!

I`m very thankful for your very professional supportive response and the new tools I have got now to satisfy my endless curiosity ... E.p :P

Hi Eli,

You are very welcome from all of us.

Good members deserve good support.

We all do our part to make using your computer easier.

Pass it on.That is what matters.

Better informed people make a better world.

Hi Eli,

You are very welcome from all of us.

Good members deserve good support.

We all do our part to make using your computer easier.

Pass it on.That is what matters.

Better informed people make a better world.

Davey...

Forgive me for jumping into this thread and going off-topic, but your responses here are typical of the consistently helpful and encouraging feedback you give posters in this forum and I thought I would take this opportunity to thank you.

I'm just an average pc user (definitely not a super-techie) and have had CCleaner on my system now for about 6 months. Love it. And every now and then I take a look at this forum to see what's going on and there you are...helping out in a kind and patient way.

Some other forums that I check out from time to time have a harder edge to them and their frequent posters convey a king-of-the-hill attitude that can feel intimidating to those less experienced. On the other hand, you demonstrate a welcoming attitude that is appreciated and is a worthy extension of the great reputation that CCleaner has.

The Windows‌ registry is a database that lists all of the configuration settings that determine how Windows looks and behaves. Sometimes, settings that are no longer needed will remain in the registry in case they are ever needed again. There's nothing unusual about this, and this data, while unused, is small in size.

in CCleaner i only use the cleaner tab and tools tab i dont use the registry tab... :lol::lol::lol:

First a little trick I learned myself.Click on the GOLD STAR on the left above this window.

Davey

You had me up to GOLD STAR.

There is no Gold Star, BUT I already have HISTORY 1 cm down and 3 cm in from top left corner.

Frantic guess - I am using Firefox so I click on bottom right icon to switch into I.E. imitation mode. Still no Gold Star.

Inspired guess - my reason for using Firefox is NOT its accurate imitation of I.E., but that it is safer than I.E.

So I launch the real I.E. with all its Active X etc. hazards and NOW I see the Gold Star, and HISTORY does not appear until I hit that Gold star. Now I am up to speed.

I am posting this in case others also do not understand what / where / why of the Gold Star.

p.s. I now realise that Firefox is not only safer than I.E.,

but also much easier to use - History is always one immediate click away, and does not need a preceeding Gold Star click

Alan

This will open a new tab and you will be able to switch back and forth between this window and the new window. Click on the old tab and then the new tab.Back and forth you can change windows.

Davey

Normally I use multiple Tabs within a single instance of Firefox, BUT

in some situations it is better to have multiple instances of Firefox with one active Tab in each.

The benefits are :-

1) I do not have to shift and shuffle the mouse to switch to the other Tab in Firefox,

instead I use the keyboard Alt Tab to switch from one application to the other;

2) I now have the ability to independently reduce the size of each application window,

and to simultaneously read the display of each without having to Alt Tab switch between them;

3) It is even possible to have several browsers open with different sets of "relevant" information, and to adjust CCleaner (or any other application) whilst reading those browsers, and without having to touch any browser until you need to scroll it down to the next paragraph etc.

Many thanks for your link to the Search Engine, Davey. I have now bookmarked it

Alan

Some other forums that I check out from time to time have a harder edge to them and their frequent posters convey a king-of-the-hill attitude that can feel intimidating to those less experienced. On the other hand, you demonstrate a welcoming attitude that is appreciated and is a worthy extension of the great reputation that CCleaner has.

Hi doodler,

Thanks for you encouraging words.I hope all the other members who contribute to this forum feel this way about the efforts and advice they give.

A forum reflects the feelings of it's active members and moderators.

The more member input in questions and advice the better the forum.

7 months ago I was just a PC user,locked in to whatever Icons were on the Desktop.

This PC needed help.It had been used for 3 1/2 years with no maintenance whatsoever.

Luckily it had only been used on the Internet very little.But it was suffering from many Power outages,purposefully and otherwise.It was off in a cold office down to 20 F. and in the summer up to 100 F during the day.

Somehow it has survived.

It was down to 8 to 10 minutes at startup and unpredictable times at shut down.

My best friend finally allowed me to do something about it.

I started "searching" the net for info and discovered forums.

Searched many of these but never got a "good" feeling about one until I got to Piriform.

Using the products and reading the forum's threads gave me much advice and information.

This is the first forum I ever joined.I love it and the members.

Doodler,y'all come back now.Ya hear!

Many thanks for your link to the Search Engine, Davey. I have now bookmarked it

Alan

Hello again Alan,

I forgot to say in my reply to Eli that everything I was referring to was related to Internet Explorer 7.

Thanks for reminding me.I also forgot to use the term Favorites icon which many users do recognize.

This PC belongs to my best friend and it is used for business purposes Monday thru Friday.

Also all the other users of this and other PCs have minimal understanding of PCs.

Therefore I must keep it the way most users use their computer.

I have decided to use IE7 as is, in case I am no longer here to maintain it.Nothing imminent but you never know.

This also helps me keep a viewpoint closer to most users.

I try to keep my replies as simple and basic as possible for the average user.

Alan,you are not an average user.You have gone beyond that with your Windows learning and use of other browsers etc.

Good to hear from another valuable member.Thanks for the info you have posted in other threads also.

Hello:

I too am using Registry Integrity for the 1st time and found a lot of issues such as:

Missing Shared DLL

Unused File Ext.

Invalid Default Icon

ActiveX/COM Issue

Invalid or Empty File Class

Open with Application Issue

Help File Issue

Installer Reference Issue

Uninstaller Reference Issue

Obsolete Software Key

Old Start Menu Key

Missing MUI Reference

I went to the Online Help thinking I would find explanations of what these meant in order to be able to decide if I should delete them or not. Instead, I found these discussion forums (so I am a newbie)!

Some of these are pretty self explanatory, but others I do not whether or not they will affect anything if I delete them.

Any ideas?

Thanks... :)

Hello:

I too am using Registry Integrity for the 1st time and found a lot of issues such as:

Missing Shared DLL

Unused File Ext.

Invalid Default Icon

ActiveX/COM Issue

Invalid or Empty File Class

Open with Application Issue

Help File Issue

Installer Reference Issue

Uninstaller Reference Issue

Obsolete Software Key

Old Start Menu Key

Missing MUI Reference

I went to the Online Help thinking I would find explanations of what these meant in order to be able to decide if I should delete them or not. Instead, I found these discussion forums (so I am a newbie)!

Some of these are pretty self explanatory, but others I do not whether or not they will affect anything if I delete them.

Any ideas?

Thanks... :)

Hi giantwrasse,

You have fallen into our trap.

Welcome to the forum!!!

"Come into my parlor" said the spider to the fly.

You are talking pretty advanced stuff.Simple description but not necessarily self explanatory.

If we had a book to explain it ,it would be pretty thick.

It is an experience,trust and judgement thing.But you make the call.

Put that list in a little folder and follow in some others foot steps.

You will know when you are ready.Have fun.

Click on this link and follow where it leads you.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99958

Good Luck,