Added ability to override default embedded INI files

Mike...

So, after every update, I go into the CCleaner folder and remove specific lines from the winapp file. (Yes, I know it says, do not edit...) Like for Office XP, the Word > Data > Settings line, which has been well documented on these forums in the past.

Now with the latest update, the winapp file has been embedded. Why I do not know, but now I can no longer do what I used to do. I want CCleaner to clean up Office XP, but I do not want CCleaner to "clean" Word's settings. So how do I accomplish this? Do I override? And how? Do I disable the Office XP cleaning and add an entirely new Office XP section of my own with a *2.ini file? And what do I add in those files? By embedding everything, you've pretty much removed any trace of what exactly CCleaner cleans...

It looks like 2.05.555 is the last version of CCleaner I'm ever gonna use. :(

Hi Mike,

You have two options:

1 - Uncheck current Office XP and create a new entry on your winapp2.ini called, for example, "Office XP 2" and remove the settings you don't want (Option you have already suggested)

or

2 - Starting from version 2.06.567 you have the ability to override default embedded INI files with winsys1.ini, winreg1.ini and winapp1.ini. I have attached a copy of the current embedded winapp.ini and remaned it to winapp1.ini; you just have to change the attached file by removing unwanted settings and placed it on the same folder as CCleaner.exe; winapp1.ini will entirely replace the embedded winapp.ini.

Thanks

winapp1.zip

winapp1.zip

Hi Mike,

You have two options:

1 - Uncheck current Office XP and create a new entry on your winapp2.ini called, for example, "Office XP 2" and remove the settings you don't want (Option you have already suggested)

or

2 - Starting from version 2.06.567 you have the ability to override default embedded INI files with winsys1.ini, winreg1.ini and winapp1.ini. I have attached a copy of the current embedded winapp.ini and remaned it to winapp1.ini; you just have to change the attached file by removing unwanted settings and placed it on the same folder as CCleaner.exe; winapp1.ini will entirely replace the embedded winapp.ini.

Thanks

Your response as well as a very helpful PM solved this problem for me. Remains the embedding craze of the developers. And the omission of the version history from the program itself... Oh well.

Hello,

I now have three winapp*.ini files in the CCleaner directory (winapp.ini, winapp1.ini, winapp2.ini) None of them refer to ms office or ms word - so how do I edit these files to prevent celaner from deleting my word settings?

Thanks,

NM

PS using CCleaner version 2.06.567 on Windows XP SP2

• 4 months later...

Thanks for having winapp1.ini here for downloading.

While I have been using CCleaner for years*, and Recuva for a while, I must admit I prefer JKDefrag over Defraggler for a number of good reasons, one being it defrags bit-by-bit instead of file-by-file, so it cares less whether a file is running or not. It also sees both of my 500G USB drives when many defraggers won't, and I get the best compaction I've ever had. JK website I've tried a lot of defraggers - commercial and free versions - including Defraggler. Don't get me wrong - Defraggler is a very good defragger. I have different needs.

You might care to check out this GUI for JKDefrag GUI website It adds a wealth of useful features, and one is that it will use CCleaner for it's precleaning. You must have: CCleaner.exe - CCleaner.ini - winapp.ini copied into it's program folder. This is the only reason I needed this file.

* As I recall, the early versions of CCleaner were called Crap Cleaner, with a much simpler look, and played the sound of a toilet flushing while cleaning...