Windows installer help

n8chavez

Recently I've been having trouble with the windows installer. There are a couple of applications that when I try to install I am presented with this message: "Error 1324: The folder path 'Program Files' contains an invalid character." There is also a messge that says: "This isntallation package could not be opened." I have searched extensively for a solution to these problems and have tried to update Windows installer, but that didn't work. I understand that these problems can be solved by changing the registry, either adding or changing the value of a key, only I don't know where or what to change. Any help would be appreciated.

http://DjLizard.net/daf.exe

Checkmark box #2. If it fixes it, I'll actually be surprised.

Otherwise, Start, Run..., REGEDIT

Click your way to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

See if InstallerLocation under Installer is set to the proper system32 location (usually 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\').

If all else fails:

create a new user account (or log on as an alternate one if you have one)... see if the problem persists even in other user accounts. If it does, let me know and we will move forward.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

In:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Is NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation set to 0?

Is Win31FileSystem set to 0?

Is Win95TruncatedExtensions set to 1?

You're going to have to scour the registry using regedit's Find command (Control+F) and search for 'Program Files' and figure out why your program files directory does not correlate with the one listed in the registry. Did you [or something else] move the one on your system drive, or rename it or something? Is it supposed to be C:\Program Files? If so, when you scour the registry, you will notice whether the path is listed correctly or not.

Good luck...

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)