Can't find Windows folder on ME machine.

Capman

One of my mates has been given an old ME machine to get him started with computers.

I have been cleaning it up today, getting rid of old docs, emails, email accounts, internet accounts, network connections, etc.

Also uninstalled any software that he would not need, mainly business programs, it came from an office.

Whilst playing with it I went into the C drive but there was no Windows folder, I thought it was always in C, I have also looked everywhere else for it, still cant find it.

Any ideas, anyone?

I am also having trouble updating it, using an update CD that I got from MS, this is why I went looking for the Windows folder.

That sounds like a strange problem. Did you try searching (my documents, search icon) for it? Does the PC have more than one hard drive?

I must admit I did not check whether it had more than one hard drive. I dont think it will have though for some reason. I get to have another play with it tomorrow, so I will be able to provide more info.

• Moderators

You must have just missed it somewhere. I cant see it not having a windows folder. I dont even want to think what would happen If you deleate that folder.

Also if you still cant find it you might want to make sure it dosent have any strange software on it that limits what you have access to on the PC. Some business do that so its workers cant mess up the computer and so that they only do work on it. I dought this is the case but you never know.

You must have just missed it somewhere. I cant see it not having a windows folder. I dont even want to think what would happen If you deleate that folder.

Also if you still cant find it you might want to make sure it dosent have any strange software on it that limits  what you have access to on the PC. Some business do that so its workers cant mess up the computer and so that they only do work on it. I dought this is the case but you never know.

I have been thinking along the same lines.

But then when updating windows would look for a windows folder, I would have thought.

I know Tarun has an ME machine, he might provide some answers.

The Windows folder should not be hidden!  Unhide that this instant :)

I have unhidden it, it probably should be hidden to a certain extent as the computer belongs to a noob.

I just know he is going to f it up, and it will be down to me to get it sorted.

I was trying to do something on it the other day which required me to shut down any running programs in the background, I explained to him what I was doing, but then he kept pointing to the back of the monitor and asking when the programs in the back would come back again.

I would have banged my head against a wall, but as I am nearly bald it would have hurt, so I didn't.

I have been thinking along the same lines.

But then when updating windows would look for a windows folder, I would have thought.

I know Tarun has an ME machine, he might provide some answers.

My ME machine now runs Windows XP Pro SP2 and Linux Slackware, though I know a good extent about ME since I worked with it for years. ^^

My ME machine now runs Windows XP Pro SP2 and Linux Slackware, though I know a good extent about ME since I worked with it for years.  ^^

That reminds me when I told him I was trying to update windows he said "oh good does that mean I will have XP, someone told me XP was better"

I could not find a wall quick enough.