Sandboxie

hotrod

Although I would not be without sandboxie, I feel the concept of changing filepaths, pipes and ini's which always seemed to be mentioned on their forums, puts some people off trying it. It just all sounds too complicated.

Only ever use FF here and I really didn't know the SandboxieCrypto.exe was needed when running IE sandboxed till I read wraithdu's postings.

Tzuk, the author of sandboxie, just may implement those settings through SB's gui in a future release as I agree they would seem a bit complicated for someone unfamiliar with Sandboxie's ini settings.

Have implemented those settings here and tested quite a few things with no other exe able to run sandboxed except for FF.

Went over to Matousec's firewall leaktests and not a single test could run.

My knowledge of Sandboxie is not up there with those guys in that thread. I have never touched the ini file. I only change the settings in the UI.

To be honest neither is mine as some of those fellows are wizzes and what knowledge I have about SB is learnt from them.

My memory ain't that great and I usually have to go over to SB's forum to find answers for people if asked a question.

To be honest neither is mine as some of those fellows are wizzes and what knowledge I have about SB is learnt from them.

My memory ain't that great and I usually have to go over to SB's forum to find answers for people if asked a question.

I find Sandboxie easy to use and the UI is intuitive. The first time I tried it it wasn't. Many settings had to be set in the ini file. The developer has made some nice improvements and the help files on the site are better now to. I only needed to go to the forum a couple times when I was learning Sandboxie and they fixed my problems for me quickly.

A Sandboxie function question . . .

If I have Firefox open under Sandboxie and happen to receive an automatic FF extension update -- what happens to that update? I assume the extension is not updated at all.

Once you delete the contents of the sandbox the update is gone as well.

I think you can open file paths for bookmarks and other things to be auto saved but I haven't used that feature and do my updates outside the sandbox.

A Sandboxie function question . . .

If I have Firefox open under Sandboxie and happen to receive an automatic FF extension update -- what happens to that update? I assume the extension is not updated at all.

It would update in Sandboxie and you would lose it when you closed the sandbox. Thats also a way to test an extension to see how it works without messing with your Firefox.

Only ever use FF here and I really didn't know the SandboxieCrypto.exe was needed when running IE sandboxed till I read wraithdu's postings.

Tzuk, the author of sandboxie, just may implement those settings through SB's gui in a future release as I agree they would seem a bit complicated for someone unfamiliar with Sandboxie's ini settings.

Have implemented those settings here and tested quite a few things with no other exe able to run sandboxed except for FF.

Went over to Matousec's firewall leaktests and not a single test could run.

So are saying Sandboxie really doesn't protect IE unless those settings are changed? I have run IE Sandboxed and it seems to work fine. Everything gets sandboxed and deletes when I close IE.

I use Sandboxie and luv it ;)

It's not only great to sandbox your browser, you can also launch "multi-player" games sandboxed before connecting to an INTERNET game server.

You need to configure your game controls & options etc before launching a game sandboxed, or the settings wont "stick".

After disconnecting and quiting the game, the original game settings will still be in place.

So are saying Sandboxie really doesn't protect IE unless those settings are changed? I have run IE Sandboxed and it seems to work fine. Everything gets sandboxed and deletes when I close IE.

No, sandboxie will protect any browser just fine at default settings.

Sorry if I may have caused some confusion as those extra ini settings wouldn't allow anything other that your selected browser to initiate through sandboxie and would only hamper someone like Craigathus who sandboxes games.

In fact those settings are so damn tight that they even stop me being able to test any malware to see if they can circumvent sandboxie because they can't run at all. :rolleyes:

No, sandboxie will protect any browser just fine at default settings.

Sorry if I may have caused some confusion as those extra ini settings wouldn't allow anything other that your selected browser to initiate through sandboxie and would only hamper someone like Craiganthus who sandboxes games.

In fact those settings are so damn tight that they even stop me being able to test any malware to see if they can circumvent sandboxie because they can't run at all. :rolleyes:

OK thanks. Sandboxie is pretty easy if you stick with the settings that are accessed in the GUI. I never spent much time trying to figure out the ini files and the different things you can do in there so I thought I might have missed something ;)

One more question . . .

When I open Firefox Sandboxed, how do I save FF bookmarks?

Open Sandboxie Control by double clicking the tray icon. Than go to the Sandbox entry in the menu. Than select the sandbox or if you have only one select default Sandbox. Than Sandbox settings. Go to applications and select Web Browser. Check the box that says "Allow direct access to Firefox and Seamonkey Bookmarks."

Do you really need to save Firefox Bookmarks ????

One of the Firefox Addons I use is "Foxmarks", which can synchronise your "HERE AND NOW" bookmarks with an external server supplied / provided by Foxmarks. The idea is to hold an external copy of your latest bookmarks, and if you have multiple computers (e.g. Home and Work) they can all be synchronised to/from that external server.

I have only 1 computer, but when I add a bookmark, it gets synchronised to the external server, and if I subsequently decide to restore a previous disc partition image I have then lost those latest bookmarks - but they re-appear immediately I connect to the Internet and am then automatically synchronised to what that eternal server holds.

Alan

A quick recovery dialog will appear and you will see an option to "add folder". Select that option and navigate to the folder you want to add to quick recovery.

Once you've added a folder to "quick recovery," if you change your mind and no longer want that folder as a quick recovery folder, where do you find it and how do you delete it?

Once you've added a folder to "quick recovery," if you change your mind and no longer want that folder as a quick recovery folder, where do you find it and how do you delete it?

Double click the tray icon and open Sandboxie Control. From the menu select "Sandbox". From the sub-menu select "Defaultbox" or another sandbox if you have one. Another sub-menu opens and you need to select "Sandbox Settings. This opens the settings panel. Go to "Recovery" than "Quick Recovery". High light the folder in the list you wan to delete from Quick Recovery and select "Remove Folder".

Thanks, Anthony, for the info.

Hi to you all !

Sorry to intervene in your thread but does any of guys know how is the "safe space" parallel product ,as compared to sandboxie?

Thanks . EP

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Where do you set that?

Open Sandboxie Control by double clicking the tray icon.Than go to the menu entry Sandbox -> default box -> sandbox settings. When the settings dialog opens go to Delete -> Invocation. There will be an option to "Automatically delete contents of sandbox". Check that. Now when you close the last program running in Sandboxie it will automatically delete the contents. If you have anything in a recoverable folder the "Quick Recovery" Dialog will open to allow you to recover anything in there.