Sandboxie

hotrod

Morning all, i just installed this program and think its absolutely fantastic. Open your browser in a sandbox and everything and i mean everything is captured in the sandbox folder. I have added a custom link through CCleaner and once the sandbox folder is wiped all is gone, no reg logs, dat files or anything...

Morning all, i just installed this program and think its absolutely fantastic. Open your browser in a sandbox and everything and i mean everything is captured in the sandbox folder. I have added a custom link through CCleaner and once the sandbox folder is wiped all is gone, no reg logs, dat files or anything...

Hi hotrod,

Yes,there are many Sandboxie users on the forum.

Do a "search" and you will probably find some good info.

Good Luck,

:) davey

My favourite security app as most in this forum know. :P

Been using/beta testing for the author since around version 1.6 which was released over three years ago.

Once you get to know the ins and outs of Sandboxie things sorta become second nature and is a highly secure way to browse the net and or test certain apps that don't need to install drivers or services.

Second favourite app is Returnil. ;)

I couldn't agree more Humpty/Franklin. It's a good way to test things out if it a particular file/program looks suspicious. It just gives me a feeling that this will protect me with solid security.

Yeah I am on the Sandboxie and Returnil band wagon to. Can't believe they are free.

Explain what you mean that added a custom link through CCleaner.

I would say hotrod added the sandbox storage folder to CCleaner's "Custom Files and Folders" list to be deleted when CCleaner runs?

Hi Ant, yep Humpty is spot on. I've added the sandbox to custom/include options etc. If i'am happy that i no longer want whatever i've used through Sandboxie i just hit CC and all is gone. Prehaps i or someone else could put in a request to Twisted Metal to add the cleaning routine to the winapp2 folder.

I'am surprised nobody has done this already.

All the best Richard...

I've read a lot about this program (Sandboxie) here on the forum, but I've never tried it. And although I understand the overall concept, I was wondering . . . how do you control what goes into the "sandbox," -- and what you do not want going into the "sandbox?"

Also, what's the process for deleting/clearing the "sandbox?"

• Moderators

I am sure humpty will fill in all the details you need, but basically you can set your browser to run through sandboxie, then all cookies , nasties etc are kept in the box.

Then when you have finished surfing you can just rightclick the icon and choose delete box, all is gone. Posts you make are still there, anti virus updates are still there.

have a quick look here for now

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Then when you have finished surfing you can just rightclick the icon and choose delete box, all is gone. Posts you make are still there, anti virus updates are still there.

Thanks, Hazelnut. What about applications I want to download and install . . . and other such things?

I tried this program 2 years ago, and although I find the concept outstanding, I just got sick of having to check programs and then installing again pretty much, when whatever I download I'm pretty sure is safe....

If there was a way to make this program more user friendly I would be on board....

I tried this program 2 years ago, and although I find the concept outstanding, I just got sick of having to check programs and then installing again pretty much, when whatever I download I'm pretty sure is safe....

If there was a way to make this program more user friendly I would be on board....

It's come a long way since then. The UI is pretty straight forward and you can make all your changes in there now. Used to be you had to go and edit ini files if I remember correctly.

Hi Ant, yep Humpty is spot on. I've added the sandbox to custom/include options etc. If i'am happy that i no longer want whatever i've used through Sandboxie i just hit CC and all is gone. Prehaps i or someone else could put in a request to Twisted Metal to add the cleaning routine to the winapp2 folder.

I'am surprised nobody has done this already.

All the best Richard...

I just set Sandboxie to delete it's contents automatically when the last sand boxed program is closed. If there is anything in the recoverable folders when this happens then "quick recovery" appears and I can recover or delete. I don't think I am getting why you would need CCleaner.

Humpty . . . per the comment from Hazelnut, it appears that you're pretty knowledgeable when I comes to Sandboxie. Maybe you can give me a fairly simple answer to this:

If I have my browser open under Sandboxie, and I come across a site and an application I would like to download and install (or anything else that I might want to download and keep), how would I do that??? It seems like all downloads would end up in the "sandbox."

Humpty . . . per the comment from Hazelnut, it appears that you're pretty knowledgeable when I comes to Sandboxie. Maybe you can give me a fairly simple answer to this:

If I have my browser open under Sandboxie, and I come across a site and an application I would like to download and install (or anything else that I might want to download and keep), how would I do that??? It seems like all downloads would end up in the "sandbox."

I'm not Humpty but Sandboxie sets the Desktop and My Documents as recoverable folders. So if you down load something to those areas they will be in the Sandbox but can be recovered by using the "The Quick Recovery" feature. You can recover to where ever you want. You can also set up other folders to be recoverable as well.

How do you set up other folders to be recoverable?

Two ways.

1) Right click the tray icon and a menu opens. Select what Sandbox you want to add a folder for if you have more than one otherwise select "default box". Another menu will pop up select "quick recovery" from this menu. A quick recovery dialog will appear and you will see an option to "add folder". Select that option and navigate to the folder you want to add to quick recovery.

2) This way is longer but still works. Double click the tray icon and open Sandboxie Control. From the menu select "Sandbox". From the sub-menu select "Defaultbox" or another sandbox if you have one. Another sub-menu opens and you need to select "Sandbox Settings. This opens the settings panel. Go to "Recovery" than "Quick Recovery" and select "add folder".

I just set Sandboxie to delete it's contents automatically when the last sand boxed program is closed. If there is anything in the recoverable folders when this happens then "quick recovery" appears and I can recover or delete. I don't think I am getting why you would need CCleaner.

Hi, i let CC overwrite the sandbox so no detail is recoverable. As i said i have only just started to use this app so i'am still learning. Am i wrong to let CC clean the sandbox? is it a waste of time adding sandbox to cc.

Two ways.

1) Right click the tray icon and a menu opens. Select what Sandbox you want to add a folder for if you have more than one otherwise select "default box". Another menu will pop up select "quick recovery" from this menu. A quick recovery dialog will appear and you will see an option to "add folder". Select that option and navigate to the folder you want to add to quick recovery.

2) This way is longer but still works. Double click the tray icon and open Sandboxie Control. From the menu select "Sandbox". From the sub-menu select "Defaultbox" or another sandbox if you have one. Another sub-menu opens and you need to select "Sandbox Settings. This opens the settings panel. Go to "Recovery" than "Quick Recovery" and select "add folder".

Thanks for this, you have explained it very well. I just added my downloads folder for utorrent

Hi, i let CC overwrite the sandbox so no detail is recoverable. As i said i have only just started to use this app so i'am still learning. Am i wrong to let CC clean the sandbox? is it a waste of time adding sandbox to cc.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. It can't hurt anything. I guess if you wanted to securely delete the contents of the sandbox and used the secure delete options in CCleaner to do it that makes sense.

• Moderators

Interesting link, notice he mentioned SandboxieCrypto.exe, it must only use IE and my Japanese browser Sleipnir has a choice of two engines, IE and the gecko firefox one. I have the IE one which is why you may not have seen crypto before Humpty as I think you use Firefox?.

Although I would not be without sandboxie, I feel the concept of changing filepaths, pipes and ini's which always seemed to be mentioned on their forums, puts some people off trying it. It just all sounds too complicated.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com