• Norton
    • Online Scanner Only
    • Panda
    • Trend Micro
    • Other
    • None

No antivirus FTW!

I'll be here when you come asking for help :lol:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I use avast! Free on my XP Home and Pro systems and AntiVir Free on my old PIII running XP Pro.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

You have 2 days to do your last update for AVG 7.5 after 31/08/08 support stops unless you have a paid version. ;)

I said the other day that AVG were stopping support and updates for 7.5. On Sunday 31st I did and update as normal then Monday night I didn't bother. Last night I thought I would try an update to see if I get and error not available, not supported or what ever and it updated without a problem. If there were problems then I would install Avast!

So have AVG had second thoughts until the end of the year due to so many complaints? It still says 31/08/08 on their link above. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Yes I did another update last night without a problem. It appears that Grisoft have postponed the demise of 7.5 until more users start using v8.0. ;)

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,146520,backpage=,sv=

As regards these free installations as anyone ever paid to install AVG 7.5 or 8.0?

I mean what difference does it do a more refined search for virus files? The free version works great for me so what extra features do you get if you pay for it? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
The free version works great for me so what extra features do you get if you pay for it? ;)

I can't speak for v8.0 because I uninstalled it nearly immediately after testing it awhile back and loathed it completely.

7.5 I can speak about. From what I remember they had some different scan options and/or more customizing features of the scan. That was never enough to garner a purchase from me so I had stuck with the free version which for years was more than adequate for me hence I always used the Complete Scan function when using it.

Not to just slam AVG 8 all of the free av's have failings and none are perfect, but the exact same can be said about paid for commercial av's.

Avira AntiVir in particular has three nuisances:

* The well known occasional update issues.

* The not so well known issue with its Windows Explorer shell extension that sometimes won't evoke the GUI to scan files via a right click. However a simple log off, and log on will typically fix that issue.

* Another not so well known issue with the Guard showing it's SysTray icon as being enabled, when it may not even be activated which when it happens can be verified in CTRL+ALT+DEL ("Task Manager"), of course the solution to fix this is to configure the Guard in Windows Services to restart if it fails, or to restart the computer if it fails.

374-tptm6.jpg