• McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Online Scanner Only
    • Panda
    • Trend Micro
    • Other
    • None

I don't know how old you are but Norton AntiVirus in the mid 1990s was quite a spectacle on Macintosh computers. They'd have multiple widgets up the wazoo that would eat up a 1/3rd of your monitor just telling you that "EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!" So you can imagine what happened if a virus infected you, or God forbid some new unknown legal application was installing. (There was no malware back then so it was either really a virus or a new unknown app.)

And while it ate up a 3rd of your monitor it would easily eat up 1/2 of your ram. And that was in the quiet "EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!" mode. :rolleyes: It was totally insane.

And while it ate up a 3rd of your monitor it would easily eat up 1/2 of your ram. And that was in the quiet "EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!" mode. It was totally insane.

When I first got my IBM ThinkCentre 2.8GHZ P4 256MB RAM XP Pro system I added 512MB RAM right away as the system was slower than the old system that it was going to replace that had 1/2 the speed rating.

I found out that the pre-installed Norton anti virus trial was the thing that was making the system operate as fast as molasses in an Inuvik winter.

I used Add/Remove to un-install it and the other un-install routines I found on the Web then I used RegSeeker to search for Norton then Symantec to remove the huge registry entries left over after the un-install.

I installed avast! Home Free and now the system is the fast system I would expect.

I have avast! on my XP Home and WinME systems and they are quite happy.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't know how old you are but Norton AntiVirus in the mid 1990s was quite a spectacle on Macintosh computers.

I don't beleave they make virus's for Mac operating systems they only make them for Windows. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I don't know how old you are but Norton AntiVirus in the mid 1990s was quite a spectacle on Macintosh computers. They'd have multiple widgets up the wazoo that would eat up a 1/3rd of your monitor just telling you that "EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!" So you can imagine what happened if a virus infected you, or God forbid some new unknown legal application was installing. (There was no malware back then so it was either really a virus or a new unknown app.)

And while it ate up a 3rd of your monitor it would easily eat up 1/2 of your ram. And that was in the quiet "EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!" mode. :rolleyes: It was totally insane.

Are you sure about this? I don't think Norton makes antivirus software for Macs.

My first computer in 1994 was a PowerMac 8500. I bought a PC with Windows 98 in 1999. Now I can't remember if I bought that AV for the Mac or for the PC. I did have dialup internet on my Mac for a few years. (The horror......the horror....) So I was aware of the need for an AV at that time. And it seems soooo friggin long ago that I assume I got Norton for the Mac. Norton had like 8 widgets on the bottom of the monitor, and some of them were not small. I wish I had a screenshot.

(There was a program for the Mac called Kaleidoscope that worked a bit like WindowBlinds, changed the color and format of window themes. Most individual schemes were about 20 to 100 KB in size and I remember the agony of waiting and waiting to download them.)

I Googled it and Norton shows it made AV for Macs since 1998.

clicky

And this box looks really familiar...

norton_box.gif

My first computer in 1994 was a PowerMac 8500. I bought a PC with Windows 98 in 1999. Now I can't remember if I bought that AV for the Mac or for the PC. I did have dialup internet on my Mac for a few years. (The horror......the horror....) So I was aware of the need for an AV at that time. And it seems soooo friggin long ago that I assume I got Norton for the Mac. Norton had like 8 widgets on the bottom of the monitor, and some of them were not small. I wish I had a screenshot.

(There was a program for the Mac called Kaleidoscope that worked a bit like WindowBlinds, changed the color and format of window themes. Most individual schemes were about 20 to 100 KB in size and I remember the agony of waiting and waiting to download them.)

I Googled it and Norton shows it made AV for Macs since 1998.

clicky

And this box looks really familiar...

norton_box.gif

Well learn something new every day. There is a Norton Secirity Suite for Macs and several others make antivirus for Macs. I knew that there were antivirus programs for Macs but I didn't know Norton made one.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussof...tp/aamacvir.htm

i use kaspersky now..even to complete a full scan it takes 3 hour + on me :(:(
For a full system scan on NOD32 takes about an hour on my system.

I can't do a full scan on my system because AVG crashes with a Kernel32.dll error and no one at Grisoft can tell me why. :angry: They even suggest using CCleaner. ;) It used to take about 25 minutes.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
I can't do a full scan on my system because AVG crashes with a Kernel32.dll error and no one at Grisoft can tell me why. :angry: They even suggest using CCleaner. ;) It used to take about 25 minutes.

Hi Keith, why don't you just change?

I've stuck with Avast for a long time now, and between it and Windows Firewall, I've kept a nice clean system.

I've stuck with Avast for a long time now, and between it and Windows Firewall, I've kept a nice clean system.

My antivirus has nothing to do with my clean system. I can't remember the last time an antivirus program's resident shield or scanner has found something on any of my systems. Looking back I could have run without one and not have gotten infected.

• Moderators
My antivirus has nothing to do with my clean system. I can't remember the last time an antivirus program's resident shield or scanner has found something on any of my systems. Looking back I could have run without one and not have gotten infected.

You can guarantee the first time you tried that, you'd get something. Sods law, as they say over here.

I very rarely get a trojan, and half that time it's a false positive. I still gotta say I've gotten way less junk since I've installed & used CCleaner regularly. Maybe it's the way I have it set up, which is nothing special. Also NoScript (in FF) and hostfile in Opera have a lot to do with that too. I almost wanna be able to make AVG 7.5 run a scan once a week instead of every day because honestly I don't think I need it. But, yeah, the minute I do that....BAM! So I'll just leave enough alone. ;)

Father Owl (in the old "I Love To Swing" cartoon) - "ENOUGH IS TOO MUCH!!!"

I will Dennis when AVG stops supporting then I will try Avast! AVG uses very little system resources. If you look at the poll AVG (Grisoft) is the most popular. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 4 weeks later...

I'll use Norton when they invent the way to do a lower molar root canal without massive Novocaine injections that leave the left side of my face as numb as a 1/2 hour swim underneath the Arctic ice or my body with a bit of a whiff of Nitrous oxide or Zeppelins become the major air transportation vehicle.

I use avast! now.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Avira Anti-vir free.

About three or four times per year huge updates beat down the free versions servers,and updates other than

manual,fail with great regularity, at least in Texas.

At that stage I get enraged, join the course of Bitching and Moaning on the Avira Forums,and pull it off my system,to

try AVAST!,AVG,30 day trials of Nod-32,Rising Av,Twister Av,Comodo AV,et al.

I always thank I have at last found the light,and I always

end up back with Avira.

I know the interface like the back of my hand,Its light and stable,and I trust the protection. (with Malwarebytes anti-malware,SuperAntiSpyware,and A-Squared Free,on deand scanners,along with Threatfire and Sandboxie.)

Now, if I was not so cheap, I would use Nod-32.