• Norton
    • Online Scanner Only
    • Panda
    • Trend Micro
    • Other
    • None

i don't use an AV :unsure:

for 2 reasons:

- i never download unknown files, or suspicious .exe's.. i always make sure i download from trusted sites (i'm careful)

- my hard drive isn't exactly huge. i'd rather not DL this huge anti-virus program.. plus, they IDLE on your pc and hog memory

being cautious, and using CCleaner/Spybot has been good enough for me :) no virus's yet.

:(

i don't use an AV :unsure:

for 2 reasons:

- i never download unknown files, or suspicious .exe's.. i always make sure i download from trusted sites

- my hard drive isn't exactly huge. i'd rather not DL this huge anti-virus program.. plus, they IDLE on your pc and hog memory

being cautious, and using CCleaner/Spybot has been good enough for me :) no virus's yet.

Since you are going that route, at least run an online AVscan 'once' in a regular 'once in a while',

And have siteadvisor installed.

You never know when somthing may slip in from an innocent looking site.

fireryone

just did a scan, found zero problems. looks like i'm still good B)

i normally look-through my running proccess's and stuff. if something is fishy or not right, i will take the necessary steps

other then that, no AV needed for me :)

i checked out that SiteAdvisor, seems pretty nifty, i might use it. thanks

Sorry, but currently I'm pissed off... My father installed Panda Internet Security and it sucks. My laptop immediately became very slow, it doesn't let me use internet properly, I can't go on msn, it gives a lot of errors (for example Iface.exe and pavjobs.exe) and it doesn't even work properly!

EDIT A FEW DAYS LATER: Right... Seems like everything is fine now after a few adjustments in the options :)

intromyseries.png

• 1 month later...

I switched to Antivir PersonalEdition Premium on my main XP machine a couple of months ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Very light, and detection is really outstanding.

Still using NOD32 on two other machines though, one of them also running Win 98SE (Antivir no longer supports that operating system)

I really like and recommend either. :)

• Moderators
I switched to Antivir PersonalEdition Premium on my main XP machine a couple of months ago

Have you noticed a rather annoying Explorer shell bug in it though?

How to reproduce:

Right click and scan several folders for viruses. If your version has the bug it should eventually not be able to right click and scan, and loading the main GUI to perform scans should also fail. The only remedy is to restart Windows.

That's why I uninstalled the Premium 6 month trial and went right back to AVG Free.

Have you noticed a rather annoying Explorer shell bug in it though?

Nope, my version doesn't appear to have the bug.

I copied 3 folders containing baddies to a temporary folder, then selected the three of them and had AV scan them.

No probs: all files were detected and deleted, everything went smoothly:

Exported events:

8-10-2007 15:14 [scanner] Malware found

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'WORM/Shelp.B.1' [worm]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Banker.ckw.1' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dldr.Agent.Arh.1' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dldr.MyLoader' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dldr.Agent.arh' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Banker.brb' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Ba.any.103.B' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Banker.brb.1' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Ba.any.103.A' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

The file contains a virus or unwanted program 'TR/SpamBot.Z' [trojan]

Action(s) taken:

The file was deleted!

• Moderators
Ah, that's too bad; why did you give up so easily?

Well because of that bug which had me thinking other things could possibly be wrong.1%20(197).gif

Mostly though having to reboot in order for it to work again really started to get on my nerves.1%20(93).gif

Well because of that bug which had me thinking other things could possibly be wrong.1%20(197).gif

Mostly though having to reboot in order for it to work again really started to get on my nerves.1%20(93).gif

I can empathize with that... Must have been a fluke though, or the Antivir forum would be awash with complaints, I should think.

• Moderators

I have an antivir key you can have if you want it andivari. I'm happy with what I've got and dont really feel like I need that either. :lol:

Right now I'm just using AVG Free, the new IE spyad with zoned out, Spyware blaster, and I have AVG antispyware installed but I havent booted it up in a long time. :D

• Moderators
I have an antivir key you can have if you want it andivari. I'm happy with what I've got and dont really feel like I need that either. :lol:

Thank you for offering, however I don't need it because I won't be downloading and reinstalling AntiVir Premium.

the new IE spyad with zoned out
Not seen that mentioned for a while, is it still worth having??? (I trust Spyware Blaster and Spybot's immunise for handling restricted zones, any difference between them and IE Spyad?)

• Moderators

IE Spyad has way more things than spyware blaster. It blocks a lot of ads and stuff too where spyware blaster doesn't. IE Spyad now uses a small program called Zoned Out too manage its block lists which makes it a lot easier to edit which sites you want blocked.

The good thing about spyware blaster is that if something else has put something it blocks in your restricted zone it knows it. I recently reformatted a computer(was really badly infected and didnt even have SP1) and I installed IE Spyad first then spyware blaster. When I booted up spyware blaster and updated it, it recognized things were blocked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got a free update to Norton Internet Security 2008 - It is faster, the interface is cleaner, and it loads with Windows much quicker than 2007. I find it much better than McAfee, but on my other computer, once the subscription is up, I'm put on either AVG, or Avast.

AJ

i've changed. now i use AVG Free Edition (shoot Me :rolleyes: )

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8