Best Free Security Apps

malikor

These are the apps that I have been using on my personal computer and I have had no issues with them and I have yet to be infected by any sort of malware.

Anti-Spyware

Ad-Aware 2007

Ewido MicroScanner

Spybot Search & Destroy

SpywareGuard

SpywareBlaster

Spyware Terminator

Super Anti-Spyware

AVG Anti-Spyware

Windows Defender

Anti-Virus

McAfee Stinger

AVG Anti-Virus

Dr. Web CureIt

Avast! Home Edition

Anti-Rootkit

Scanning:

RogueRemover

Panda Anti-Rootkit

F-Secure BlackLight

AVG Anti-Rootkit

• Moderators

Spyware Guard is OLD OLD OLD. I dont think they plan to do anything with it either.

I feel like all I do is say the same things over and over but here it goes:

AV: AVG,Avast, OR Antivir.

Firewall: Windows firewall(dont bother with others)

Antispyware: Superantispyware(AVG too but it may not be around much longer)

Real time antispyware: Dont bother but if you must Defender isn't so bad. It will at least warn you about changes to specific parts of the system and doesn't cause slow downs.(I actually installed it again on one pc with no change it boot time or performance.)

Other: Spywareblaster, Firefox+Adblock(no script if you can stand it)

Dont bother with anything else. It just leads to head aches and problems. :)

These are the apps that I have been using on my personal computer and I have had no issues with them and I have yet to be infected by any sort of malware.

Anti-Spyware

Scanning:

Ad-Aware 2007

Ewido MicroScanner

Spybot Search & Destroy

Protection:

SpywareGuard

SpywareBlaster

Spyware Terminator

Anti-Virus

Scanning:

McAfee Stinger

Dr. Web CureIt

Protection:

Avast! Home Edition

Anti-Rootkit

Scanning:

RogueRemover

Panda Anti-Rootkit

F-Secure BlackLight

I noticed you list F Secure Blacklight for Anti-Rootkit. Are you paying for that. I was using the free tool they had but that was discontinued last year.

I noticed you list F Secure Blacklight for Anti-Rootkit. Are you paying for that. I was using the free tool they had but that was discontinued last year.

I went to the link and it's free again. It was a highly rated Anti-Rootkit scanner especially for people that are not familiar with rootkits because it is very simple to use. It was recommended on many anti malware sites. This is the first I have heard that it is available again.

Spyware Guard is OLD OLD OLD. I dont think they plan to do anything with it either.

I use AVG Free on one system and Avast on the others.

Firewall: Windows firewall(dont bother with others)
My DSL modem has a built in firewall.

Antispyware: Superantispyware(AVG too but it may not be around much longer)
I tried them but they never found anything except cookies that I want.

Real time antispyware: Dont bother but if you must Defender isn't so bad. It will at least warn you about changes to specific parts of the system and doesn't cause slow downs.(I actually installed it again on one pc with no change it boot time or performance.)
I use Windows Defender.

Other: Spywareblaster
I use it.

Firefox+Adblock(no script if you can stand it)
I don't like Firefox.

Dont bother with anything else. It just leads to head aches and problems. :)
True except I use HostsMan with HostsServer, hpHOSTS and MVPS HOSTS files and WinPatrol PLUS because I know what they do and how they protect my systems.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Which are you currently using? I'm still using AVG free, it's kept me virus free for years now and I've no reason to change but I'm not looking forward to the new version :unsure:

I'm still using AVG free, it's kept me virus free for years now and I've no reason to change but I'm not looking forward to the new version :unsure:

Same here. I hope they don't mess this up. It looks like they will be a while in releasing the free version any ways. They will get the pro version running smooth first. That gives you some time to see how it's going. Who knows maybe they will come through and release a great app that is an improvement over the current version.

• Moderators
Which are you currently using? I'm still using AVG free, it's kept me virus free for years now and I've no reason to change but I'm not looking forward to the new version :unsure:

My preference is still AVG. Its always done its thing with no fuss.

I'm waiting for the new version as well. I hope they dont make it bloated, thats my biggest concern. If they do I'll probably start using antivir.

• Moderators
My DSL modem has a built in firewall.

My router does but I also have a laptop. Trust me you want the windows firewall on while using a public network:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14809

I don't like Firefox.

For me its a toss up between firefox and IE7 with the pro add on. The only thing that honestly keeps me using FF is live bookmarks. I do not like the way IE7 does RSS feeds. I just want to see headlines, not a special page with the whole stories on it? Not much point in that.

True except I use HostsMan with HostsServer, hpHOSTS and MVPS HOSTS files and WinPatrol PLUS because I know what they do and how they protect my systems.

I actually do like winpatrol. However he said free and the free version of winpatrol is sort of crippled. Instead of telling you about changes instantly it only does so after the fact. I never really compared it to what defender is monitoring or what the free spybot teatimer does but its probably all monitoring the same things(start ups, active x, bhos, ect.) Why pay for what you can get free.(Even the database is sort of worthless considering all that info is available from google searches.)

I quit using host files since all I wanted them for was to block ads. Now IE7 pro is out and firefox has adblock. :D

My preference is still AVG. Its always done its thing with no fuss.

I'm waiting for the new version as well. I hope they dont make it bloated, thats my biggest concern. If they do I'll probably start using antivir.

Does Antivir still have problems with updates? There was a lot of problems with definition updates.

• Moderators
Does Antivir still have problems with updates? There was a lot of problems with definition updates.

I don't/haven't ever had problems with it.

I have seen the download be sort of slow but for the benefits a slow definition file download is tolerable(in my opinion anyway).

SpywareGumrd is meant to be used in addition to an anti-spyware program, not in place of one. And yes, it does help. I use F-Secure BlackLight, the free edition, because it still helps in finding rootkits. Sorry for the misleading title, but only the best security freeware will be added to the initial post. And for the rest of you, quit whining and just be grateful that there are posts like this. They are useful to some people, especially those who are new to freeware.

My router does but I also have a laptop. Trust me you want the windows firewall on while using a public network:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14809

I use the Windows firewall on my XP systems but the venerable old WinME system only has the modem firewall for protection but I don't use it much any more.

For me its a toss up between firefox and IE7 with the pro add on. The only thing that honestly keeps me using FF is live bookmarks. I do not like the way IE7 does RSS feeds. I just want to see headlines, not a special page with the whole stories on it? Not much point in that.
I use the IE7Pro add on but I don't use the RSS feed in IE at all.

I have used FeedDemon but I'm not into RSS much yet.

I actually do like winpatrol. However he said free and the free version of winpatrol is sort of crippled. Instead of telling you about changes instantly it only does so after the fact. I never really compared it to what defender is monitoring or what the free spybot teatimer does but its probably all monitoring the same things(start ups, active x, bhos, ect.) Why pay for what you can get free.(Even the database is sort of worthless considering all that info is available from google searches.)
Yea but by using the PLUS version the information is only one click away.

By the way, I received the PLUS version update for free because I recommended WinPatrol wherever I go.

I quit using host files since all I wanted them for was to block ads. Now IE7 pro is out and firefox has adblock. :D
Yea but with the HOST file the request do not even leave your system thus not incurring un-necessary network traffic.

Its all about what one is comfortable with :)

I can't even upload a pic of what I'm talking about as the upload size is so limiting and I don't want to get into ImageShack slow service.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I emailed them makers of SpywareGuard and asked if they had any plans of releasing more updates to it, and they emailed me back with a link to a post on their site. The post clearly states that yes, it is outdated, but if used in addition to an anti-spyware program, it still helps prevent infection. It isn't meant to be used by itself.

• Moderators
SpywareGumrd is meant to be used in addition to an anti-spyware program, not in place of one. And yes, it does help.

It doesn't do anything the average antispyware application doesn't do. Not much point in running 2 programs for the same thing unless you like slow computers. :D

And for the rest of you, quit whining and just be grateful that there are posts like this. They are useful to some people, especially those who are new to freeware.

Their are a few thousand topics just like this one on here. :P

• Moderators
Yea, cuz SpywareGuard uses SO much processing power.

I never said it did. I'm saying that its old and there are better things out there that do what it does and more. There is no reason to have 2 of the same programs running otherwise you will have a slower computer than you would if you did things efficiently.

SpywareGuard will not slow down your computer in any way that will be noticeable.

I'm done posting on this forum.

---------------

Edited by moderation.

Please refer to the forum rules!

Edited by Andavari
Breaking forum rule #1, being disrespectful to other forum members.