mp3 to wma converter

oli

• Moderators

You will loose a significant amount of quality and introduce more artifacts transcoding mp3 to wma, hence they are both lossy audio formats. You are better off just re-ripping the original CD's into the format you wish.

However, if you do wish to transcode dBpowerAMP is probably the easiest route, I've never used it though. Also perhaps EAC will work, albeit I've never tried to transcode anything with it.

i know of many shareware that does the job... but as for freeware... not sure whether is there any...

well... maybe you can try to burn your *.wma files to a disc in audio format then rip the *.wav files to *.mp3... well.. i admit it take lots of trouble... :D

--==aGumon==--

just a question say i wrote virtually all my music that is in mp3 onto a cd. then i use windows media player to make them into wma is that what you are sugessting

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

unfortunately i wrote my music onto a cd then i went into windows media player and tried to rip it but it coudnlt see the cd as it was a "data" cd. i used nero but you cant make it so it writes the cd as an audio cd in mp3 format.

When you jump to a specific location in a WMA song, doesnt it become a delay?

Personally I avoid WMA like if it was the pest.

You really should look into Ogg Vorbis superior in quality and compression compared against mp3.

http://www.vorbis.com/

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

"Ogg Vorbis is a fully open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free, general-purpose compressed audio format for mid to high quality (8kHz-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel. This places Vorbis in the same competitive class as audio representations such as MPEG-4 (AAC), and similar to, but higher performance than MPEG-1/2 audio layer 3, MPEG-4 audio (TwinVQ), WMA and PAC."

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Eldmannen,

oli's problem is that he wants to convert mp3 audio files to wma audio files, which as he states can be half the size, therefore he will fit twice as many onto his mp3 player.

Are you still with me at this point?

I have just had a play around with cheetah audio converter and converted a 4.42 MB audio file, (one of Dj's remixes actually, but that is beside the point).

First I converted Dj's remix to a 44,100 HZ, OGG file, which resulted in a file size of 4.58 MB.

Then I converted Dj's remix to a 44,100 HZ WMA file, which resulted in a file size of 2.24 MB.

Does this help explain why he wants to convert them to WMA now?

He wants to fit more on, not less.

Ok, I have a question CaPMan.  When you converted that song to wma could you tell a differance in sound quality?

I personally can't tell the difference, and I listened over and over again, but then I am not an audiophile to any extent, although I do love music, I listen to music for 11 hours a day on weekdays and a few hours at the weekend.

If there was any real difference, I am sure it would not be noticable on an mp3 player, after all we are talking about music that is listened to through earphones, rather than speakers on a good stereo system, such as I own, or on a computer with good sound qualities.

I have never really been one to rate mp3 players too much, I prefer the iPod.

• Moderators
I personally can't tell the difference, and I listened over and over again, but then I am not an audiophile to any extent, although I do love music, I listen to music for 11 hours a day on weekdays and a few hours at the weekend.

If there was any real difference, I am sure it would not be noticable on an mp3 player, after all we are talking about music that is listened to through earphones, rather than speakers on a good stereo system, such as I own, or on a computer with good sound qualities.

I have never really been one to rate mp3 players too much, I prefer the iPod.

I know what you mean, I was mostly talking about fuzziness or crackling sounds.

I know what you mean, I was mostly talking about fuzziness or crackling sounds.

No, none of that, to be honest if I had a cherished collection of mp3's and someone changed them to wma's and never told me, and then they were played back to me, I would not notice any difference.

just a question say i wrote virtually all my music that is in mp3 onto a cd. then i use windows media player to make them into wma is that what you are sugessting

yes... but seems troublesome...

the sound quantity played using speakers may not sound any different...

--==aGumon==--

that cheater burner is a god send. converted all of 400 songs in about an hour and they take up half the space, great find cheers.

• Moderators

@ CaPMan

In actuality a cheap set of headphones in a quiet listening enviroment (e.g.; no background noise) will reveal artifacts of transcoded audio files, it doesn't take an audiophile to notice them. The original lossy format has already thrown quality away, therefore transcoding to another format can introduce more artifacts. The only way to combat this is to use a lossless audio format (Wav, WavPack, Flac, etc) and then encode to a lossy audio format (MP3, MPC, OGG, etc).

To make claims of not hearing a difference you really have to conduct a blind listening test to determine if really you can or can't actually hear a difference.

@ Eldmannen

I also avoid WMA hence there's the chance of enabling DMA which will make the files useless on other systems and devices. However, OGG isn't supported in all devices therefore your suggestion won't in any way help oli.

---

For those whom want to know about audio formats, codecs, transcoding, etc., I'd recommend learning on a forum I've been a member of for a few years called Hydrogenaudio, there's a wealth of information there that has tought me allot about audio.

Andavari,

I did state that I am in no way an audiophile, so therefore I was just giving my opinion, which is the opinion of a regular guy.

Also I dont know about in the USA, but from my observations of people in the UK, headphones are generally used in places with excess noise, such as commuting to or from work using buses, trains, tubes, walking, or whatever other means is available. These are, I believe, the times when people would want to listen to music through headphones, rather than using other means at times when other means are available, which would probably then remove the need to listen to WMA's anyway.

And besides all of this I was just trying to help oli achieve what he was trying to achieve.

Whether this was the right or wrong approach will always be up for argument, as many things always are, but oli seemed happy.

• Moderators
oli seemed happy.

Yeah, and that's all that counts really.

I just wanted to point out about transcoding because if he deleted his original files in favour of the original source mp3's I didn't want him upset in the future or years down the road if and/or when he may have noticed a degradation of quality.