prefetch

J. Holloway

When I run Analyze there are many Prefetch entries to remove. However, when I run Run Cleaner it does not remove these. This is the first time I have had this happen so it doesen't seem normal. Any suggestions as to what is going on, and how to correct this?

When I run Analyze there are many Prefetch entries to remove. However, when I run Run Cleaner it does not remove these. This is the first time I have had this happen so it doesen't seem normal. Any suggestions as to what is going on, and how to correct this?

Hi J. Holloway,

These answers helps evaluate your problem.Just fill in answers below questions?

CCleaner version ?

OS and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

:( davey

Hi J. Holloway,

These answers helps evaluate your problem.Just fill in answers below questions?

CCleaner version ?

OS and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

:( davey

CCleaner 2.05.555

Windows XP SP2

Internet Explorer 6

Avast 4.7 Home Edition

Comodo BOClean 4.25

SUPERAntiSpyware Free 4.0.1154

Checked email, visited some of sites I usually go to, such a this one. Have installed or downloaded nothing in the past few days.

Opened CCleaner and ran it as I usually do.

CCleaner 2.05.555

Windows XP SP2

Internet Explorer 6

Avast 4.7 Home Edition

Comodo BOClean 4.25

SUPERAntiSpyware Free 4.0.1154

Checked email, visited some of sites I usually go to, such a this one. Have installed or downloaded nothing in the past few days.

Opened CCleaner and ran it as I usually do.

Any prefetch options set now or then? If you set it on purpose or accidentally, I would turn it off and don't worry about Prefetch files.Windows cleans them out automatically.CCleaner may list them if you set the option but may not delete them since Windows takes care of them.

Any Registry clean last time?

Proper date and time in your PC?Now and for last 2 weeks?

Does prefetch data relate to anything not used or removed in approx. 14 day period ?

You report "many" prefetch items.How many? All Apps. ?

None is normal for me.How many normal for you?

Edited by davey

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed this behaviour also (although I'm now using a new Vista machine - haven't used my XP machine for a while) - even if I manually added the prefetch folder into winapp2.ini it still did not work. I had to manually delete the files (perhaps CC is treating it like the 'temp' folder & only files older than 48 hours, but in that case why report it)

I'm not sure if you are correct in saying that Windows will delete the files itself - these files are used to help Windows boot faster, so I don't see it willingly delete them (I could be wrong) when it may need them later.

BTW deleting them manually (with or without CC) will not harm to Windows, it just means the next boot may appear slow (as it 'prefetches' the information for next time the applications start to make them quicker) - so in essence it 'guesses' what apps you will need to use and pre-loads info.

Anyway, I have seen this behaviour before but it never really bothered me too much. It would be nice to be resolved though - CC should clean what it says it will clean.

• Moderators

Windows flusehes entries that are older than a few weeks - from the XP manual. I can't really see any point in getting rid of them, they'll be as soon as you launch a program and they take up little space, and actually make your pc a gnat's elbow faster.