using CCleaner to clear "recent programs list"?

mikeb

Is it possible to have CCleaner clear the start menu "recently opened programs list"? Cause for the longest time I've been right clicking into Properties, going to Customize, and then hitting Clear List. I tried searching if this is possible with cceaner and came up with too many unrelated hits, but I imagine it should be.

Is it possible to have CCleaner clear the start menu "recently opened programs list"? Cause for the longest time I've been right clicking into Properties, going to Customize, and then hitting Clear List. I tried searching if this is possible with cceaner and came up with too many unrelated hits, but I imagine it should be.

Hello mikeb,

Yes, select the box labeled User Assist History in the Windows tab in the Advanced options list at the bottom of the Windows tab.

Be prepared to lose the complete list .It will start filling back in as you execute the programs by other means such as Start > All Programs,Desktop Shortcuts, or double clicking on the program.exe Icon in Program Files.You will also notice that Start Menu Shortcuts does not appear as long on the progress screen when you Analyze using the Cleaner function.If there are Start Menu Shortcuts you would like to save then drag them to the Start Menu Pinned List at the top of the list on the left side of your Start Menu.

You "may" have hundreds of entries in that list depending on how many programs and where you executed them from over months and years,

Don't forget to to turn this option off or your list will never fill again until you do.

Good Luck,

:) davey

P.S. I also advise other "less experienced" users to not use any Advanced options unitl you know exactly what they do and the sometimes surprising results.

P.S.S. I advise "less experienced" to review,apply the data there and save this link.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Edited by davey

• Moderators

Or, when you get to ... I've been right clicking into Properties, going to Customize, and then hitting Clear List... just set the Number of Programs on Start List to zero. Gives a much cleaner, less irritatiing start menu.

• Moderators

I've had mine set to zero for a while now, and I use the start-list as an alternative to having icons on the desk top.

I can get a maximum of 24 application shortcuts pinned there. Makes things a bit tidier.

The only thing is, I found that right clicking, and pinning a desk top shortcut to the start menu didn't work after subsequently deleting the desktop icon itself.

I had to either, go into the program folder of each one, start > my computer > c: > program files, and right click and pin the exe file itself. Or start > all programs > find the program name > right click and pin to start menu.

Not what the poster asked for, but just thought I'd mention it. :)

Yes Mike you just put a checkmark under Windows Explorer\Recent Documents. It will clear them everytime. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I've had mine set to zero for a while now, and I use the start-list as an alternative to having icons on the desk top.

I can get a maximum of 24 application shortcuts pinned there. Makes things a bit tidier.

The only thing is, I found that right clicking, and pinning a desk top shortcut to the start menu didn't work after subsequently deleting the desktop icon itself.

I had to either, go into the program folder of each one, start > my computer > c: > program files, and right click and pin the exe file itself. Or start > all programs > find the program name > right click and pin to start menu.

Not what the poster asked for, but just thought I'd mention it. :)

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for "spilling the beans" for us less experienced users when it comes to Desktops.

Your idea is going to be useful to a lot of users to clean up their Desktop.I know I will be using it.

I think this is right down the alley.Mike doesn't want to see recently used programs list and now he

can pin his less frequently used programs as you say to "make things a bit tidier" both on his Desktop and in the Start menu.

This way nobody can readily see what his most recently used programs are.They would need access to his computer to look at his User Assist History to find out.This access could only be directly at his computer,through his network if he is on one, or through the Internet.

Now I understand why your Desktop is so uncluttered as seen in March Desktops in the Lounge forum.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=97563

Thanks for the valuable tip,

:) davey