Deleting file records

• Moderators

The Recuva Options box (by default) does not show securely deleted files, although I don't know how it selects what has been securely deleted and what has not.

The option to remove the filename from the MFT has been mentioned before, and I believe is on the to-do list. It probably is rather more difficult to do than simply overwriting a few sectors, and messing up the MFT would cause some agitation from users. Rgds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, I'm not absolutely au fait with Windows file and directory structures (who is?) so I can't really say how straightforward it would be to remove file names completely. But it can be said that Windows puts files into a deleted state whilst retaining the file name, cluster size and addresses, etc. So to change that state might not be that easy. Would you just zap the filename to blanks, or remove the file deleted flag? Do you have to shuffle the remaining MFT entries? What else should you do that you don't know about? What will M/S introduce in the future that will cause your work to corrupt the MFT? The list is endless. It's a big risk for relatively low and unimportant returns.

• 2 months later...
Maybe I misspoke about the directory. I was hoping for something like what Eraser 5.85 does -- that is to overwrite the filename with ZZZZZs and change the path to C:\?\.

Seems like a good idea to me.

well, this has been quite an item... is it really the only way to clean trash from MFT to format the disk; and does that even do the job...I know, cleaning is not the main point in Recuva, but finding something important to recover from loads of cryptic names is quite a job...

:o