March Desktops

rridgely

I have what you have circled in red. Everything is inside the folder. Or at least it was, because I have now uninstalled Rocketdock and thrown my computer out of the window. smiley-channel.de_technik014.gif

How do other skins work for you? Is jus thtat one skin? It sounds like you want a Leopard skin there a bunch of them on Deviant Art.

Here a few from the Rocket dock skin page see if they work. The links are good the site just loads so slow it's very annoying.

http://rocketdock.com/index.php?option=com...info&id=307

http://rocketdock.com/index.php?option=com...info&id=561

• Moderators

Grasping at any possibility here Woody, because I can't for the life of me understand how you can load the separator.png, but not the background.png.

Firstly, as Anthony and I keep asking, put us out of our mysery and tell us if you've tried another style?

Secondly, and as I say, grasping at any possibility here, the dock position in your screenshot is almost off the page. Can you select "Dock Settings > Edge Offset", and move the dock up the screen, away from the taskbar.

You have no "settings" icon visible there, and right clicking may only give you the taskbar options, so if that happens you may have to select the taskbar properties, and check "Auto-hide the taskbar", before you can right click to get "Dock Settings".

Apologies if you already know that.

The straw I'm grasping at, is just simply the dock may be too far down the screen for the background to render. I'm also assuming you have XP, so you must have a "Theme" running. I wonder if that, plus the position of the dock, may have something to do with this not working.

Again, apologies if you've already tried that.

And thirdly, and I've got hopes for this one, why aren't there any icons? What happens if you drag an icon onto where the dock should be?

You can always drag it off again if it's not what you want. It just disappears into a puff of smoke, and doesn't remove your icon from the desktop.

You only have one separator, and the fact that the dock actually stretches or shrinks to accomodate how many icons you place on it, may mean that the background is actually there, but you need icons on it for it to show. I've never had the dock without icons (and I don't fancy dragging all mine off to try).

No icons, could mean no background, or no dock visible.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: 21:35

Woody, I'll stick my neck out here. The separator you have showing wouldn't be as wide as that on its own. I think you actually have the dock background either side of it. It's narrow because there are no icons on it.

Drag some icons off your desktop onto it and I feel sure it will stretch to accommodate them. n120.gif

And thirdly, and I've got hopes for this one, why aren't there any icons? What happens if you drag an icon onto where the dock should be?

You can always drag it off again if it's not what you want. It just disappears into a puff of smoke, and doesn't remove your icon from the desktop.

You only have one separator, and the fact that the dock actually stretches or shrinks to accomodate how many icons you place on it, may mean that the background is actually there, but you need icons on it for it to show. I've never had the dock without icons (and I don't fancy dragging all mine off to try).

Fingers crossed.

The default install of Rocket Dock has several icons on the dock but you are right the dock increases and decreases in size as you add/remove icons so if they were all removed for some reason who knows what it would look like I have never tried it.

Did Woody ever have Rocket Dock working? When it was first installed did it work? Did other skins work? Did the problems first start with the new skin?

Grasping at any possibility here Woody, because I can't for the life of me understand how you can load the separator.png, but not the background.png.

Firstly, as Anthony and I keep asking, put us out of our mysery and tell us if you've tried another style?

Secondly, and as I say, grasping at any possibility here, the dock position in your screenshot is almost off the page. Can you select "Dock Settings > Edge Offset", and move the dock up the screen, away from the taskbar.

You have no "settings" icon visible there, and right clicking may only give you the taskbar options, so if that happens you may have to select the taskbar properties, and check "Auto-hide the taskbar", before you can right click to get "Dock Settings".

Apologies if you already know that.

The straw I'm grasping at, is just simply the dock may be too far down the screen for the background to render. I'm also assuming you have XP, so you must have a "Theme" running. I wonder if that, plus the position of the dock, may have something to do with this not working.

Again, apologies if you've already tried that.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: 21:35

Woody, I'll stick my neck out here. The separator you have showing wouldn't be as wide as that on its own. I think you actually have the dock background either side of it. It's narrow because there are no icons on it.

Drag some icons off your desktop onto it and I feel sure it will stretch to accommodate them. n120.gif

Am I getting somewhere here?

20080312010047ft0.th.png

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Thanks for your patience. I think I'm getting the idea. klatsch.gif

20080312012805qs0.th.png

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I don't know what to say to you Anthony. other than perseverance. I think I was expecting to download a dock populated by icons, and, when that didn't happen, it threw me a bit. I need to do lots more " playing ". Thanks to you and Dennis for your help.

Btw where did you get that ghostwalker grey dock?

Woody.

• Moderators
I really like having the dock. I wouldn't want to switch back now. I shut off the Quick Launch Bar and removed all icons from the Desk Top and now everything is on the dock and it's set to autohide.

Yep, I'm sticking with this as well. No desktop shortcuts at all, but I've got the start menu set to zero, and 24 shortcuts pinned to it.

I've got a couple of things in the Quick Launch, apps that I occasionally need to launch while I'm on line which I can't get onto the start menu. Foobar, notepad and a shortcut to a .bat file that enables/disables the hosts file with one click.

I've got a couple of things in the Quick Launch, apps that I occasionally need to launch while I'm on line which I can't get onto the start menu. Foobar, notepad and a shortcut to a .bat file that enables/disables the hosts file with one click.

You can put those things that you have on the Quick Launch on the dock and set the dock to auto hide. Than the dock disappears and when you need to get to the app you want just move the mouse to the bottom and the dock appears. This is very easy for me because I had set my Task Bar to auto hide long before I started using a dock and am used to doing this.

If you try this make sure to set the dock to "always on top" as well as autohide. Than it will pop up over any window you are using and disappear when you move the mouse away.

• Moderators

That's not a bad idea, although I've got the dock just to the size I like. Don't want any more icons on it, but that's one of the great things about RocketDock, it's so flexible and configurable.

You can change it in so many ways, it's always fresh.