Ashampoo Burning Studio Free 6.6

Madmartigan

• Moderators
I have it from when it was given away a while back and can recommend it as a nice simple burning app.

Same here, had no problems with it and have recommended it to quite a few people, who say they find it easy to use.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I haven't noticed a lot of differences between 6.5 and 6.6. The screen is now blue, it is free, has many more languages now, and discs can now be verified immediately without being ejected first if the drive supports this feature. I burned a disc with it last night and seemed about the same. I haven't had time to go through it thoroughly yet, but will let you know if I find anything else.

• Moderators
I have it from when it was given away a while back and can recommend it as a nice simple burning app.

I think I got mine at the same time, and I've had a couple of auto-update messages about the new version. Haven't updated yet.

The feature I use most with this app, since installing a second drive, is the "on the fly" copy mode. So quick and easy, one CD or DVD (unprotected), straight onto another.

Another difference between 6.5 and 6.6 is that 6.6 can rip audio CD's to MP3 where as in 6.5 you can only rip to WAV or WMA.

Has anybody used the internal updater in 6.5 to update to 6.6? 6.5 is working well for me and I don't really need the new features. I might just wait untill they release 7.0 for free ;)

• Moderators

Didn't use the online update. Preffered doing a clean install off line.

Don't think I'll be using the new cd rip feature. Uses the Fraunhofer mp3 encoder, which I think comes shipped with XP, and can't see anyway to configure it to use Lame or anything else.

t638_ashampoo6.jpg

Anyway, new colour if nothing else. :)

Didn't use the online update. Preffered doing a clean install off line.

Don't think I'll be using the new cd rip feature. Uses the Fraunhofer mp3 encoder, which I think comes shipped with XP, and can't see anyway to configure it to use Lame or anything else.

t638_ashampoo6.jpg

Anyway, new colour if nothing else. :)

I think I will hold off updating until 7.0 comes out free. I use a ripping program for ripping any ways.

• Moderators

I can't believe I'm liking this more than ImgBurn! It's a definite keeper in my book!

Here's the CCleaner winapp2.ini cleaning routine for it (note I didn't add the registry locations because it becomes a pain to re-browse to locations previously used):

[*Burning Studio 6 Free (Logs)]; Removes the Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free logs.LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Burning Studio 6Default=TrueFileKey1=%userprofile%\Application Data\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free\Logs|*.*

I can't believe I'm liking this more than ImgBurn! It's a definite keeper in my book!

Here's the CCleaner winapp2.ini cleaning routine for it (note I didn't add the registry locations because it becomes a pain to re-browse to locations previously used):

[*Burning Studio 6 Free (Logs)]; Removes the Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free logs.LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Burning Studio 6Default=TrueFileKey1=%userprofile%\Application Data\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free\Logs|*.*

I thought you might have tried this app out long ago. In this thread we had some discussion about IMG Burn and Ashampoo 6.5. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13927&st=0

I settled on 6.5 over IMG Burn and many others.

Does the new 6.6 burn gapless audio CD's like Burrrn does? 6.5 does not.

Isn't there already a winapp2.ini for Ashampoo 6? It shows up in my CCleaner.

• Moderators
I thought you might have tried this app out long ago. In this thread we had some discussion about IMG Burn and Ashampoo 6.5. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13927&st=0

I settled on 6.5 over IMG Burn and many others.

Does the new 6.6 burn gapless audio CD's like Burrrn does? 6.5 does not.

The previous version or maybe it was the one before that I really couldn't use because some .dll file in the Burning Studio program folder kept getting corrupt and I'd have to reinstall the whole program to use it which is why I initially went to ImgBurn.

6.6 Free does indeed burn gapless audio CD's (verified in Exact Audio Copy's gap detection) and supports many formats like FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WMA. However it doesn't burn CD-TEXT which Burrrn does do. In any event there isn't any audio CD burning software that will replace Burrrn on my system.

Edit: I should state that you have to click Advanced options to change the default setting of applying gaps, you have to disable them first!

The previous version or maybe it was the one before that I really couldn't use because some .dll file in the Burning Studio program folder kept getting corrupt and I'd have to reinstall the whole program to use it which is why I initially went to ImgBurn.

6.6 Free does indeed burn gapless audio CD's (verified in Exact Audio Copy's gap detection) and supports many formats like FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WMA. However it doesn't burn CD-TEXT which Burrrn does do. In any event there isn't any audio CD burning software that will replace Burrrn on my system.

Edit: I should state that you have to click Advanced options to change the default setting of applying gaps, you have to disable them first!

6.5 has "disk at once" mode which is supposed to burn gapless but it still has small gaps. Have you actually listen to a audio CD burned with 6.6 and verified it's gapless?

So other than some extra ripping formats there doesn't seem to be a difference between 6.5 and 6.6.

• Moderators

Been using ashampoo since they first gave away version 5(actually there was a crappy limited version I was using even before that. :P) Its my program of choice for data, movies, and music. Never had a problem with coastered discs and its not the least bit bloated. Now that its completely free its a no brainer. Why use anything else? :P

• Moderators

Damn, I installed this new version and thought I was going to need a key so I clicked register.

Gave them my email again and then didnt even get a key(its not needed). Now I'm going to get even MORE emails from them(I already get like 12 a day. :P)

• Moderators
6.5 has "disk at once" mode which is supposed to burn gapless but it still has small gaps. Have you actually listen to a audio CD burned with 6.6 and verified it's gapless?

So other than some extra ripping formats there doesn't seem to be a difference between 6.5 and 6.6.

I've done told you it's gapless, what more do you need, fine an explanation.

You don't need to make a whole audio CD, or even make a whole one to test gapless burning.

This is what I did:

1. Ripped three gapless tracks from a LIVE Candlemass CD and encoded to FLAC lossless.

2. Burned the FLAC lossless tracks to a CD-RW as CDDA ("audio CD"), making sure to disable the creation of gaps.

3. Ripped those three tracks with EAC.

4. Loaded the ripped WAVs into Foobar2000, and they were all gapless. They'd also be gapless in any audio CD playback hardware too (home CD/DVD player, car CD player, boombox, etc.)

I've done told you it's gapless, what more do you need, fine an explanation.

You don't need to make a whole audio CD, or even make a whole one to test gapless burning.

This is what I did:

1. Ripped three gapless tracks from a LIVE Candlemass CD and encoded to FLAC lossless.

2. Burned the FLAC lossless tracks to a CD-RW as CDDA ("audio CD"), making sure to disable the creation of gaps.

3. Ripped those three tracks with EAC.

4. Loaded the ripped WAVs into Foobar2000, and they were all gapless. They'd also be gapless in any audio CD playback hardware too (home CD/DVD player, car CD player, boombox, etc.)

OK,

What I did with 6.5 was burn a audio cd and selected disk at once. According to the help guide of Ashampoo 6.5 this should produce a audio cd with no gaps. When I was done I played the cd and it had gaps between the songs. With Burrrn I get no gaps. Thats why I asked if you listened to the burned cd. ;)

• Moderators
When I was done I played the cd and it had gaps between the songs. With Burrrn I get no gaps. Thats why I asked if you listened to the burned cd. ;)

Those gaps can also depend upon your drive - "I think." For years I've tried tons of freebie and commercial CD burning software that claimed to make gapless CDs and many failed to do it. With Burrrn it does it automatically and natively, plus with it writing CD-TEXT if you didn't keep track of your tracks burned you can just load CDex or EAC and read the CD-TEXT to get the artist and track names.

Those gaps can also depend upon your drive - "I think."

I ripped a bunch of tracks. Burned them with Ashampoo with the disk at once option and there were gaps. Burned the same tracks again with Burrrn and no gaps.

For years I've tried tons of freebie and commercial CD burning software that claimed to make gapless CDs and many failed to do it.

That's why I asked if you listened to the CD.

I don't really care if Ashampoo does burn Audio CD's gapless since Burrrn does so well and easily. Problem is Burrrn isn't being developed any more or so it seems.

• Moderators
I ripped a bunch of tracks. Burned them with Ashampoo with the disk at once option and there were gaps. Burned the same tracks again with Burrrn and no gaps.

That's why I asked if you listened to the CD.

I don't really care if Ashampoo does burn Audio CD's gapless since Burrrn does so well and easily. Problem is Burrrn isn't being developed any more or so it seems.

Burrrn hasn't been updated in a while, however the backend programs like LAME.exe, OggDec.exe, FLAC.exe, etc., can be updated by downloading new builds and unzipping them into Burrrn program folder.

Such as this updater I made for myself:

http://www.wikifortio.com/932179/Burrrn_Update_03162008.zip

Edit: Updated the Burrrn updater since LAME was updated on 12 March.

• Moderators
Burrrn hasn't been updated in a while, however the backend programs like LAME.exe, OggDec.exe, FLAC.exe, etc., can be updated by downloading new builds and unzipping them into Burrrn program folder.

Such as this updater I made for myself:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x5gjcwdmmtc

Burrrn is my application of choice, just does what you need, simply.

Much appreciated, I've got that.

• Moderators
Burrrn is my application of choice, just does what you need, simply.

Much appreciated, I've got that.

You're welcomed, I'm glad it came to use for someone else too.

Just don't mess with cygwin1.dll and cdrdao.exe. "I think if memory serves me correctly that they're based upon what's in Burnatonce or a derivative of it." I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though.