Defrag Free Space

Goodpasture

WEll I must start off by saying I love your program(s) . I love defraggler and I know it is in early beta but I can say I have noticed performance increase with my new Vista machine and no problems or errors also. It was in dire need at some point. I suppose I've been moving tons of files over from different sources to get me up and running and lots of fragmentation was taking place. My new Quad core 4 GB Ram MACHINE was working like a half a pony. I turned some of the Aero eye candy off which was a nice tip i found somewhere on the web and used your utilities. Now getting to Defraggler, It works great but trying to do a complete C drive defrag, it says I have 45 GB fragmented files and it runs and runs and runs but seems to pretty much stop about 23 or 24% of Defragmenting Free Space. It goes through the other just fine. I'm guessing this is talking about the free space of my drive that you can't see and use immediatelly but it's just tied up. So if my C drive says I have 340 GB free, after this process, It shoud say more like 385 GB free??? right?

I could leave it run longer if I beleived it was doing it's thing and just needs lots of time for this process but I'm afraid at this point to let it keep running when it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

thanks,

Jonathan

My issue with the freespace defragging is a little different. Before Defraggler has a chance to hang up, it just stops. It runs to about 20%, in defragging freespace and then just quits. Afterwards it says the drive is completely defragmented.

My issue with the freespace defragging is a little different. Before Defraggler has a chance to hang up, it just stops. It runs to about 20%, in defragging freespace and then just quits. Afterwards it says the drive is completely defragmented.

You really don't need to post your problem in three separate threads.

You really don't need to post your problem in three separate threads.

Oh, I'm sorry if I annoyed you or anything. But, I wasn't trying to "post my problem in three separate threads". I was simply trying to participate in the discussion. I didn't realize you guys had a rule like that- sort of "say it once or don't say it at all".

I'll try to follow your example and be more unfriendly and less "chatty" in the future.

I do find it kinda amusing that you criticize me for "posting my problem in three separate threads" when the only response to my problem that I get is your reprimand. Maybe if I had posted it in 5 or 6 separate threads then I'd have gotten a response, instead of just getting jumped on for asking a question.

The computer I'm using is the only computer I have. I can't afford to replace it... I can't afford to reinstall Windows, which is the pat answer I get from anyone in the tech field that I ask about any computer problem. I mean, if I download an MP3 that sounds muddy, I've actually been told reinstalling Windows will help :o

I tried that on my old 'puter and I has not worked right since. Reinstalling Windows was the biggest mistake I've ever made as a PC user.

So, after downloading Defraggler, and being very impressed with it's general performance, I decided to come here and comment on that and ask my question. One of my comments has since been deleted. My topic I started hasn't been responded to, and on this thread all I've gotten is snapped at.

I have a feeling, sir, that you are not one of the administrators of this forum. That's really who I'm trying to reach here- or, more specifically, the designers of the Defraggler program. I wanted to compliment them on their work, and their work on all of their software, because I use all three Piriform programs and they perform wonderfully.

I also wanted to ask them about Defraggler, stopping after 21% while defragging the free space. And given my respect for the Piriform designers, maybe get their opinion on why my Microsoft defragmenter isn't working properly.

Imagine my surprise when all I get is a disciplinary wag of the finger from someone with over 2000 posts. Personally, I think you could have been a little more friendly, and maybe even offered some advice or comment aside from personal criticism of someone who only just arrived here.

Oh, and on a side note, the last time I had to sign up for one of these forums to get some technical support on some software I downloaded- Cerulean Studios' Trillian -their forum rules stated that new members had to reply to at least 5 different posts posted by other users before starting a new topic of their own. I had no idea that rule was not in effect here too, considering the format of the forum is in the exact same style. So, I wanted to post at least one or two replies before posting my topic.

Since the subject of my concern was the defragging of free space, I really couldn't find anything else to comment on, ergo my "posting my problem in three different threads".

Again, my apologies. I had no idea this would be something that would offend someone so much that one of my posts would be deleted, one ignored, and one criticized. I still believe Piriform software to be of the highest quality and I applaud the programmers for the work they've put into their products, and for making it available as freeware. But, I have to say that my experience on this forum has been far less satisfying than my use of the software.

Oh, I'm sorry if I annoyed you or anything....

It's nothing to do with being annoyed/offended etc etc, it just confuses things for those of us trying to help. You may get one user helping in one post, another helping in another post each giving different advice unaware of the others potentially causing more problems than are solved. And at the same time you're getting another users problem thread filled with advice for a different issue.

I'm sure you're original thread hasn't been ignored, just no-one has read it that can help you with the problem you have (I haven't as I don't use Defraggler)

Seeing lots of posts (from multiple person) about defrag freespace did confuse me and stopped me from posting, since my post would have been kind of off topic. Was going to suggest manually stopping defraggler to prevent possible corruptions, since defrag freespace is not that important for performance and costs a lot of resources.

Btw, there are not many posters on this forum, so posting once is probably enough. It won't get buried. My thread from last week is still half way on the first page.

• 2 weeks later...

How do i get it to defrag the free space? It did it once for me. I dont recall doing anyhting different when this occured.... it just happened. It took forever but it did make a bit of a difference.

How do i make it happen agian?