What type of Firewall do you use?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Firewall do you use?

• Hardware
    • Software
    • Both Hardware and Software
    • None
    • What's a Firewall?

Jetico is an excellent firewall! It can be a little intimidating. . .

Thanks, TeeJay, for the info. I think I will try it on another computer. Haven't done so yet because not enough time to fiddle with the configuration.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I thought that i would say that i have now un-installed Norton as yesterday it decided that it would be an arse and not work. I was wondering what full security suite (paid one of course) would be best to get as there are quite a few of them.

• Moderators

ZA Suite

Kaspersky

Bit Defender

Antivir Suite

AVG Suite

Honestly you do not need to pay. You might as well try the free ones before you pay for one.

Give antivir a shot. Then for a firewall either turn on the windows firewall or grab one off the link in my sig. If you just don't like it, then pay but you really don't need to. :)

Ah right cheers rridgely, i am using ZoneAlarms free one at the moment and it seems to be doing a good job. i am already using antivir and i must admit that i rather like it so it will be one to keep on the old system.

No mention for Filseclab? It works flawlessly on my PC. I'm not a technical user, so basically I wanted a light, easy-to-use firewall, something like the windows xp firewall but with outbound protection. I think I found it in Filseclab. And it's free!

Has anyone else used this firewall and if so would you also rate it as Francisco did. I haven't heard for it before and if it is good then i would give it a go.

• Moderators
Has anyone else used this firewall and if so would you also rate it as Francisco did. I haven't heard for it before and if it is good then i would give it a go.

I've heard of it, and seen it mentioned before, but haven't ever used it.

According to the Filseclab website download page it works with Win95 and up so people with older Windows versions can at least get a more recent firewall and don't have to settle for some old outdated relic. More info about the Filseclab Personal Firewall is located here.

Jetico is an excellent firewall! It can be a little intimidating to n00bs, . . .uses VERY little memory/system resources!

Well, thanks again TeeJay. It is a little intimidating, but here goes. If I am never back on the forum, you will know that I am trapped behind a Free Finnish Firewall.

This site (mentioned elsewhere in the forum) rates firewalls using so called independent leak tests. They have a nifty chart.

Go see: http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-p...sts-results.php

Jetico looked pretty good. I wonder if these results are valid?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

After first ditching Norton, and yesterday ditching F-Secure, I`m now using PC Tools Firewall Plus, which is working very smoothly with Avast Antivirus 4.7 Home Edition. Both installed yesterday.

Don`t know the technical fineries on this stuff, but as rridgely recently suggested to me, my pc is noticeably faster, and boots quicker.

The PC Tools firewall has the same very nice GUI as their Registry Mechanic, which I use, and Avast GUI also looks nice and is easy to set up etc.

:)

Okay i said further up that i was using ZoneAlarm but i have now un-installed it and re-installed Norton as ZoneAlarm was causing me to lag badly on servers when playing Counter Strike and i couldn't take it any longer but other than that it was a great product ^_^

I used PCTools firewall and liked it but as i said in one of my posts it failed the stealth test for me :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i would use a hardware firewall, but i'm on a LAN with other people (dad, brother), and they don't want me to turn it on -_-

i just use WinXP SP2 firewall. it hardly uses any resources, and it runs in the background. that's my preference. i don't want anything that hogs memory ;) (i play a lot of online games..)

• 1 month later...

I actually like the nVidia software firewall that came with my motherboard, called ActiveArmor Filewall. It has per-application allow/deny lists and automatically determines if software has been changed since being granted access, and ask again to allow it. Also, it doesn't have a built-in whitelist, so it won't automatically allow those stupid quicktime updates etc.

I,m using Norton right now only because it came loaded on my new computer. But I am through with Norton products. I was supposed to have a 60 day free trial and after 30 days I can't update my anti-virus. The program says that my subscription expires in 32 days but won't let me update because my subscription has expired. Without even a warning. FU Norton. The firewall says it's still working but I'm getting rid of it before it leaves me high and dry like the AV did. Now I've got something, slooooow computer, freezes up, tower makes a ticking noise every now and then. I've used Kerio and Sygate before and liked them both. Considering going back to them or giving ZA a try. Any opinions out there?

I,m using Norton right now only because it came loaded on my new computer. But I am through with Norton products. I was supposed to have a 60 day free trial and after 30 days I can't update my anti-virus. The program says that my subscription expires in 32 days but won't let me update because my subscription has expired. Without even a warning. FU Norton. The firewall says it's still working but I'm getting rid of it before it leaves me high and dry like the AV did. Now I've got something, slooooow computer, freezes up, tower makes a ticking noise every now and then. I've used Kerio and Sygate before and liked them both. Considering going back to them or giving ZA a try. Any opinions out there?

Hi Vince Vega B)

I use Norton AV 2007 and get regular updates with no problems, however after my subscription "expires" I will consider an alternative AV product.

Norton free trail software is not worth the effort in my opinion, ditch it!

Windows XP Firewall works good for me (Incoming) protection only, I tried (Zone Alarm) and it drove me Crazy :angry:

I also use Sandboxie & Spybot S&D B)

I think that Norton ditched me prematurely. I downloaded Avast AV and it seems to be OK. I also down loaded Zone Alarm firewall and while it is not driving me crazy, it is a pain setting it up for the first couple of days. But I remember having to do the same with Kerio and Sygate. I,ve been scanning periodically with Spybot, Adawre by Lavasoft and of course CCleaner. I had heard that XP firewall was not that good considering all the free alternatives that were available. I'm running Vista and I'm not sure if it even has a firewall. But it does have something called windows defender which might be like a firewall but I don't know. I'm still learning about Vista.

• Moderators
I'm running Vista and I'm not sure if it even has a firewall. But it does have something called windows defender which might be like a firewall but I don't know. I'm still learning about Vista.

It has a firewall built in. Not being a Vista user myself I can't comment on how good the firewall is or isn't, however you can make your own determination of it freely and safely by testing it or any other firewall against some intrusions at:

* GRC's ShieldsUP Firewall Tests

* McAfee's Hackerwatch.org Firewall Tests

* PC Flank's Internet Security Tests

The newest ZoneAlarm Free that has a disabled Kaspersky Antivirus in it for some reason or another can slow down your system and it's not just limited to the startup of Windows itself, but also when doing other antivirus/malware scans - well at least that's what I found out when recently testing it before I ditched it. Windows Defender is the built in anti-spyware program which is better than nothing, however SUPERAntiSpyware is a worthy replacement and it's available as a free edition or paid edition.

I have been using the Vista Firewall for about 9 months now with no problems. I also got a "true stealth" verdict on the shields up test at grc.com.

For out-going connections I use the vista firewall control - an addon to the vista firewall that allows you to enable or disable programs from accessing the web.

post-12997-1190659754_thumb.jpg

http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

No complaints so far..

post-12997-1190659754_thumb.jpg

I've used Kerio and Sygate before and liked them both. Considering going back to them or giving ZA a try. Any opinions out there?

You can still get Sygate (LINK), I still use it as I've yet to find a worthy alternative and it always passes all the firewall tests with 100% rating.