What type of Firewall do you use?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Firewall do you use?

• Hardware
    • Software
    • Both Hardware and Software
    • None
    • What's a Firewall?

Dlink Router Firewall and XP software wall. Additionally all my machines are multihomed(dual network cards with an internal network for friendly in-house traffic and sharing) The external adapter(to the wild, wild web has NetBIOS and the Microsoft Client disabled.) This was and is an old NT practice. Mom always said to wear your raincoat :D

Interesting poll and forum. Very hard to imagine one could be connected to the web without taking any precautions......."there can be only one." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the hardware firewall in my LinkSys wired router.

For software, I use Sygate Personal Firewall. Its as effective as any software firewall out there and uses much less system resources than ZA. :)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I switched to Comodo personal this evening. I like the interface, and it looks fairly easy to understand so far. I will update my experience after using it for a bit.

I was using Netveda, and didnt have any problems, but i wasnt comfortable using something that hadnt been updated in two years. As well, the forums were MIA for a moderator or any support, and Comodo seems to have lots of support.

Checked out a number of other forums, and decided on Comodo for now-will see how good it is. :)

• Moderators

Comodo is alright. I didn't really have any problems with it when I used it. I would have used it on my laptop but I like jetico better.(its a little more complicated but not that much.)

Looks like I'll be getting reacquainted with comodo real soon since that looks like it might be the one picked for the new guide. :D

Comodo is alright. I didn't really have any problems with it when I used it. I would have used it on my laptop but I like jetico better.(its a little more complicated but not that much.)

Looks like I'll be getting reacquainted with comodo real soon since that looks like it might be the one picked for the new guide. :D

arent you going to vote? nobody has voted for jetico yet! i just tossed my vote in-Comodo is working real good so far! its too bad really, because i really liked netveda, but if i cant even get on a support forum to ask questions and such (like emule configuration, etc.) then its not as much use to me as others. plus i really like the look of the Comodo interface. but thats just more of a personal kind of thing, rather than functionality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sunbelt Kiero Personal Firewall (freeware version) on one and ZoneAlarm Personal on another.

Pc came with Outpost free installed years ago, it kept resetting the machine (BSOD I believe) while browsing the Internet, it was a well known problem and outpost where not going to fix the free version they had discontinued, and wanted everyone to upgrade to the paid version which some I think still reported problems.

Never tried it since, and wouldn't trust or use any Norton suite either.

Sunbelt KPF does cause errors every now and then and takes forever to upload its error report, so i might change it over later.

fireryone

I just switched to Jetico Personal Firewall after using Sygate for a long time. I am very impressed! Its extremely low on system resource usage and offers my features than any firewall I've used (which has been about all of them). :)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Hey this is my first post :D And i use comodo firewall pro. Like the others said its a very good freeware firewall, and as far as tests go with the latest versions ties in first place with outpost firewall pro. (Which i think is damn good for freeware :D).

Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4

Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

Spyware Terminator (Realtime & Hips enabled)

• Moderators

At the moment I am using an Online Armour firewall I am beta testing for them. The build I am using now, kernel mode with the usual bits and pieces, is fast, light and I like it a lot.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com