207 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Firewall do you use?

• Hardware
    • Software
    • Both Hardware and Software
    • None
    • What's a Firewall?

• Moderators
Where did you download it from andavari? On the ZA site it says the spyware blocker is only on the paid version?

DL'd from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ZoneA...ee/1023831973/1 since the Zone Labs website is a damn mess to find anything on.

I wasn't aware of the spyware blocker being only in the paid version since it installed the spyware.dat file with the free edition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a hardware firewall with my router.

Do you think that the router firewall is secure enough by itself? I have the router firewall, XP firewall, and Norton's firewall.

I've heard many different opinions about the security of different firewalls? Is there a way to know for sure?

K

Yep.

What's your secret? Why don't you find them necessary? Are you a MAC user?

K

i having been trying the different firewall lately...

norton firewall

sygate firewall

outpost firewall...

i found that except for outpost pesonal firewall, the rest takes up a lot of resources...

norton firewall have many process images... which takes up a fair amount of resouces each... but added up together, they takes up a lot...

sygate firewall have a single process image... but it takes up more than 15,000K of memory usage alone...

outpost firewall have a single process image... and take its up much lesser compared to others... but outpost personal firewall seems very difficult to use... i takes some times to play around with it...

zonealarm have 2 process images... vsmon and zlclient... both take up around >6,000K of memory... rather huge...

is there any other good firewall...?

I installed Outpost on my roommate's computer because she didn't have one besides the router's firewall. It's good because it's added security (and of course free) B) But it's kind of annoying? When does it stop popping up to ask if a program can access the internet?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Im not sure why it didnt work. I use a D-Link Router, and a U.S. Robotics Card To connect.

How do you know that it didn't work? Did you get an error message or something? Can you at least download Spyware Blaster for a little extra something if you can't get another firewall? The link for Spyware Blaster is in the Software forum under freeware.

I am interested why your router firewall would be interfering with an additional firewall. I use a Lynksys router, and D-link ethernet/PCI cards. No problems here.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Do you think that the router firewall is secure enough by itself? I have the router firewall, XP firewall, and Norton's firewall.

Yeah I do. Win XP and norton's firewalls are both junk. The winxp one is a joke and the norton one is so bloated your pc will slow down to a crawl.(plus it dosent work as well as other software firewalls.)

I've heard many different opinions about the security of different firewalls? Is there a way to know for sure?

Test them on sites like this:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

A hardware firewall is secure. It cant be disabled and as long as you keep it on you should be good.

What's your secret? Why don't you find them necessary? Are you a MAC user?

Hes a computer genious. Plus like any knowledgeable user he uses his brain on what he does with his pc.

I installed Outpost on my roommate's computer because she didn't have one besides the router's firewall. It's good because it's added security (and of course free) B) But it's kind of annoying? When does it stop popping up to ask if a program can access the internet?

It wont stop popping up. Thats its job, but once you configure it then it should pop up less frequently. From what I have seen outpost isnt noob friendly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

oh my god... a poll!

anyway, i uses zonealarm pro... but want to look for alternative... my brother uses windows firewall...

WARNING: as majorgeeks says your brother should use a firewall!

Windows Firewall cannot protect against viruses that well so he will need a firewall like Zonealarm or Kerio personal Firewall or Pro.